Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 71 to 76 of 76
Thanks Tree86Thanks

Thread: Christian rehab or slave labor camp?

  1. #71
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    36,868
    Thanks
    34401

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    If one can "drink like a fish" and then "just quit" then they, by definition, are not an alcoholic. If one is not an alcoholic then why would they want or need to go to A.A.?
    I disagree. Of course, you are free to concoct your own definition of the word "alcoholic", but I know people whose lives were devastated for decades by alcohol addiction who simply decided to quit and did so of their own accord. It most certainly does happen, although I'll admit that it is a rare occurrence.

  2. #72
    Veteran Member Moorhuhn Wanted Champion Hollywood's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    68,702
    Thanks
    33066

    From
    Memphis, Tn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinn View Post
    Again - it's a supernatural entity. If I'm wrong, can you define the word "higher" and the word "power" in the context you used above?

    And if you define "higher" as "greater," I'll slap you. That's word substitution; not a definition.
    Fine, feel free to not attend AA meetings. *shrug*

  3. #73
    Veteran Member Moorhuhn Wanted Champion Hollywood's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    68,702
    Thanks
    33066

    From
    Memphis, Tn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinn View Post
    Seems like keeping records would be a useful tool if a goal of AA is to improve the efficacy of their processes.
    Just because it seems that way to you does not mean it seems that way to others.

  4. #74
    Veteran Member Moorhuhn Wanted Champion Hollywood's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    68,702
    Thanks
    33066

    From
    Memphis, Tn.
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    I disagree. Of course, you are free to concoct your own definition of the word "alcoholic", but I know people whose lives were devastated for decades by alcohol addiction who simply decided to quit and did so of their own accord. It most certainly does happen, although I'll admit that it is a rare occurrence.
    You are free to disagree, certainly.

  5. #75
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    36,868
    Thanks
    34401

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    You are free to disagree, certainly.
    This thread has been effectively derailed by bringing up this old, stale argument regarding AA (thanks, Djinn), but you might have noticed that I am not one who has objected to people attending AA meetings if that is what they feel they need to do in order to overcome alcohol addiction. Different people employ different strategies to deal with their personal problems, and I'm for whatever works for them.

    That said, AA is quite obviously a quasi-religious organization, in spite of the fact that they don't explicitly endorse one particular faith tradition over another. Neither do the Freemasons, but that in no way implies that their organization is non-religious in nature.
    Thanks from Hollywood and Ian Jeffrey

  6. #76
    Council Member Djinn's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    45,451
    Thanks
    29812

    From
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    This thread has been effectively derailed by bringing up this old, stale argument regarding AA (thanks, Djinn), ....
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey and Blues63

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Similar Threads

  1. Russia using SLAVE LABOR to build stadium for WC2018
    By The Man in forum Current Events
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 1st April 2017, 12:46 AM
  2. Trump's camp welcomes only Christian Conservatives
    By Devil505 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 30th September 2016, 04:06 AM
  3. Replies: 39
    Last Post: 9th June 2014, 08:24 AM
  4. Slave labor being used to build Iraq US Embassy
    By Robodoon in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20th March 2008, 08:59 AM
  5. Using Kidnapped Slave Labor To Build Our Iraq Embassy
    By Distressed American in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 28th July 2007, 06:09 AM

Search tags for this page

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed