Members banned from this thread: Coyote and Spookycolt


Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 53
Thanks Tree26Thanks

Thread: Your Periodic Reminder: Transgender is an Adjective

  1. #21
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    25,391
    Thanks
    6501

    From
    midwest
    Quote Originally Posted by pragmatic View Post
    We are "allowed" to use most any words we choose.

    Coyote is sharing some insight on when usage can at time be perceived as offensive.


    Seems reasonable enough. No need to mock.
    Not mocking.

    I used the "y" word and meant no offense.

    I had heard people use that name to describe themselves and others.

    But when I said it...KA-BOOM! like it was the end of the world as we know it.

    And, it seemed to be a word that was not banned by this forum.

    A bit confusing is all...

  2. #22
    ~Standing My Ground~ Sassy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    44,813
    Thanks
    17717

    From
    God Bless Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller47 View Post
    Not mocking.

    I used the "y" word and meant no offense.

    I had heard people use that name to describe themselves and others.

    But when I said it...KA-BOOM! like it was the end of the world as we know it.

    And, it seemed to be a word that was not banned by this forum.

    A bit confusing is all...
    If you mean the T word ending in y, then yes, it was banned.

  3. #23
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    25,391
    Thanks
    6501

    From
    midwest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
    If you mean the T word ending in y, then yes, it was banned.
    Did not get the impression that it was banned at the time I used it.

    Maybe afterward?

    If it is that inflammatory, then I would agree that it SHOULD be banned on this forum.

  4. #24
    Cyborg Coyote's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,473
    Thanks
    7869

    From
    Unimatrix Zero
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller47 View Post
    Not mocking.

    I used the "y" word and meant no offense.

    I had heard people use that name to describe themselves and others.

    But when I said it...KA-BOOM! like it was the end of the world as we know it.

    And, it seemed to be a word that was not banned by this forum.

    A bit confusing is all...
    T***** (sometimes referred to as The T-word)
    While some transgender people use the word t**** to describe their gender, most find it highly offensive — a derogatory slur.
    Transgender Identity Terms and Labels (Planned Parenthood)

    I starred it out, because I don't want anyone thinking it's OK to use that word. I used it once here specifically to try to shock everyone with its awfulness (in conjunction with the f-word for a gay male), but my intended effect was completely lost on so many. The main result seemed to be that people thought it was cool to use it now because I said it.

    No one will arrest you if you say it, but I for one will decide then and there that you aren't worth talking to any longer. It's very traumatic for me to see it being used to describe trans people, because so often we've heard (or read) it hurled at us with disgust, anger, and clear intent to hurt.

    So yes, I made a stink about it here on this forum more than once. It only took 3 years to get it banned. You just have to ask yourself: Is the word so important to you that you feel like you have a right to say it and use it whenever you want, no matter how much it might hurt someone who's never done anything to you?

    And more generally for the board, is that the kind of forum and community we want to promote?

  5. #25
    ~Standing My Ground~ Sassy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    44,813
    Thanks
    17717

    From
    God Bless Texas
    'Transgendered' flows off the brain and tongue easier, I think trans people are going to, in the end, have to accept that and not get so upset about the little things.

    A person who has transitioned is how we have to think of it (at least for transsexuals, which is usually the topic at hand on here). So, the brain has that '-ed' in there that takes an effort to remove. Most of us don't have a reason to have a PhD in this, nor do most desire to.

  6. #26
    ~Standing My Ground~ Sassy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    44,813
    Thanks
    17717

    From
    God Bless Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
    I know some of you don't mean to offend, but I've started this a dozen different ways over the last three years, so I think I'm just going to have to bump this thread every few months.

    If you're still confused, try replacing the word "transgender" with "tall" and see if your sentence still makes sense.

    Correct: "I saw a tall woman at the mall today."
    Incorrect: "I saw a talled woman at the mall today."
    Also incorrect: "I saw a tallwoman at the mall today."

    Correct: "I saw a lot of tall women at the mall today."
    Incorrect: "I saw a lot of talls at the mall today."
    Also Incorrect: "I saw someone at the mall today. I think they were talled."

    Gender grammar, now that is funny. Because when one gets into the gender fluid and some other folks under the transgender umbrella, the English language rules are totally out the window.

    In another post, referring to my friend, you asked, 'Do they know...?' It would need to be DOES they know? Which sounds motherfucking stupid and wrong, but in this case, 'they' is referring to a singular person. (Who is a she, but I understand that was not clear, and you were trying to not presume anything).

  7. #27
    Cyborg Coyote's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,473
    Thanks
    7869

    From
    Unimatrix Zero
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
    (at least for transsexuals, which is usually the topic at hand on here)
    Look who knows so much more about me than I know about myself, again. If I'd meant to discuss transsexuals, I would have put transsexual in the title.

  8. #28
    Cyborg Coyote's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,473
    Thanks
    7869

    From
    Unimatrix Zero
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
    'Transgendered' flows off the brain and tongue easier, I think trans people are going to, in the end, have to accept that and not get so upset about the little things.
    Why do I even bother? I should know by know you can't reason with the cissed.

  9. #29
    One
    One is offline
    10 Year Survivor One's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    9,749
    Thanks
    7253

    From
    ----> X <----
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
    Why do I even bother? I should know by know you can't reason with the cissed.
    What is cissed?

  10. #30
    Cyborg Coyote's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,473
    Thanks
    7869

    From
    Unimatrix Zero
    Quote Originally Posted by One View Post
    What is cissed?
    It's short for cisgender, which is a verb, apparently. Because that's the only kinds of words you add "ed" to to show past tense. At some point in the past, Sassy became cisgendered, like I became transgendered. I wonder who cisgendered her, or if she did it to herself?

    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cisgender
    Thanks from knight

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 208
    Last Post: 22nd August 2017, 04:42 AM
  2. Just a reminder
    By MaryAnne in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 23rd April 2017, 06:50 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 4th January 2016, 10:12 PM
  4. Periodic Table of the Criminal Elements
    By UsedRugs in forum Political Humor
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11th June 2007, 12:53 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed