Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 220
Thanks Tree133Thanks

Thread: Privilege

  1. #51
    Veteran Member Kontrary's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    14,009
    Thanks
    12637

    From
    Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
    You can name places where you perceive this to be true all day long, and for every place you name, I can name ten more where the opposite is true. Let's accept for a moment that what you say is true, there are places where the people in power will discriminate against me because I'm white. Let's really go out on a limb and speculate that a full 10% of the country is off-limits to me because I'm white.

    Okily Dokily, that leaves 90% of the country where I can be stereotypically white as hell with zero danger to myself.

    Work beckons, and I still need to pack my lunch of wonder bread, mayonnaise, quinoa, and saltines. Another day, another dollar. See you later, alligator.
    To add, the places where being white is a problem in the US are places that most folks dont want to be in!
    Thanks from Coyote and Friday13

  2. #52
    Member Claudius the God's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,698
    Thanks
    2163

    From
    California
    White people talking about white privilege is a good step forward. White people saying it does not exist is a step backwards. You get to choose which way you want to go. I am honest enough to admit that white people are at an advantage in America. If you deny it, ask yourself why you have an interest in denying it exists when so much evidence exists to prove you wrong.
    Thanks from Coyote, Kontrary, HayJenn and 3 others

  3. #53
    Veteran Member Kontrary's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    14,009
    Thanks
    12637

    From
    Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
    I don't disagree with you on much, but doing nothing isn't really a solution. It may be what most people prefer, but it's not the answer.

    The very first thing one should "do about it" is recognize that it exists. Nothing else can be done before that. When and if we ever come to that point, then we can move forward.

    We as a nation are not anywhere near that point. Responsible individuals who recognize the problem can use their privilege to work against the default white supremacy state.

    Now I know I just used that awful, terrible word. That word that makes white people shut down and pout, because white feelings take precedence over everything else, but therein lies the original rub-- first the problem must be recognized and acknowledged.

    I have about as much hope of that happening on this forum as I do that suddenly Trump will take the presidency seriously as something other than a way to prop up his fading fortune and treat the office with the respect it deserves. IOW slim to none.
    I do think we can know our own propensity, as humans, to be tribal......once we accept it, we can then pay better attention to it so as not to allow it to shape our behavior and to remain a bit more vigilant to its influence on our own thinking.

    In Sweden its thought be racist if you fly the nation's flag...its encouraging tribalism, which is our human nature, its needs no amping up, it needs damping down!
    Thanks from Coyote

  4. #54
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    64,889
    Thanks
    32896

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
    I find it fascinating that you say that an us vs. them mentality started this, but then turn right around and say that if there's sides being drawn up, you're picking the "us" over the "them". Just what exactly is the "white side" in this debate, anyway?
    I am picking the side that is irrebuttably presumed to be evil based on its skin color.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
    Do you accept the existence of hidden power structures and unconscious biases in American culture that tend to favor Xtianity over other religions?
    I do not believe anything in this regard is hidden or unconscious, which would imply an inherent conspiracy of some kind. And what biases exist are essentially natural, if in some instances inappropriate under the Establishment Clause, given that Xianity is the majority religion here. Not all Xians buy into them. Certainly, there are those that do - a few on this board have made their presence known - but it hardly seem like something across the board. It might be more accurate to say that, since it is by far the majority religion (depending on how and who you count), it is what to most people is considered "usual" or "default," while other religions are less usual and not well-understood.

    To be sure, there is a thing called "Xian Privilege," but the Supreme Court, in applying the Establishment Clause, has by and large dismantled most of its institutional manifestations, to the dismay of some. That application of "Privilege" is more an attitude or feeling possessed by those who are angry at having lost it rather than a hidden or unconscious position by those who have it.
    Thanks from Sassy and Sparta

  5. #55
    ~Standing My Ground~ Sassy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    45,626
    Thanks
    18173

    From
    God Bless Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
    Not at work, no. And any time I have felt that way it's been my own perception and my own problem, projecting my fears outward.

    I've never been pulled over and suspected that the reason is because I was white. I've had the cops called on me before, but never have I thought it was because I was white. When the cops arrived, most of them looked like me. I've been followed in stores before by security (who also looked like me). It wasn't because I am white.

    When I shop for skin and hair care products, I don't have to go to a special section of the store. For that matter, the products I prefer aren't kept locked up somewhere.

    I have band-aids in my medicine cabinet that more or less match my skin tone. OK, maybe less, but for the most part they're unnoticeable. I didn't have to spend any extra energy to find them. They were right there with all the other first aid products, right at eye level. I just grabbed a box without thinking.

    I got in trouble A LOT at school. I got paddled many times. Sent to the principal's office, and suspended when I got too old to be paddled and it was passing out of style anyway. Never once did I think I might have been getting treated more harshly because I'm white.

    I was socially awkward AF in school. I was picked on almost constantly from 3rd through 9th grades. It wasn't until I got better at mimicking social cues that the bullying lessened. Having my driver's license and some sense of control over my life helped, and put me on almost an equal footing with my peers. But never was I harassed and bullied for being white (unlike the lone Black kid in my class).

    I was unemployed for five years. Practically unhirable. I almost never even got interviews, and on the rare occasions that I did I never got callbacks. It wasn't because of my interviewing skills, because I'm pretty good at them. Never once have I ever thought that all those people might be uncomfortable hiring me because I'm white and they don't know how to deal with that.



    Not necessary, though I thank you for the offer. The area I live in is about 30/30/30/10, at least going by the demographics at my school. I'll let you speculate how that breaks down.

    Strangely, most of my coworkers and all of the administration is white, though. Hmmm.... I wonder why that might be.
    I don't understand the special section of the store thing. I don't see that in my stores. Products for black skin and hair are not away from the others, and if they are locked up, it's because the store locks them all up.
    Thanks from Nicnam

  6. #56
    ~Standing My Ground~ Sassy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    45,626
    Thanks
    18173

    From
    God Bless Texas
    I watched a show last night about asset forfeiture. how the cops just take money they suspect of being drug related (with no evidence) and in the particular area they were focusing on, it was primarily black people they targeted. I don't see that as white privilege, I see it as treating black people unfairly.

  7. #57
    Veteran Member Isalexi's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    35,091
    Thanks
    21982

    From
    Maryland
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallie Knoetze View Post
    Ms. Isalexi,

    Sorry that your husband thinks so little of his skills and talents...

    Tell him that he should have more confidence in his abilities.
    Lol..... if he didn’t have confidence in his abilities he never would have gone down on the trading floor and make it to vice President and retire in his 40s. Let me explain it again to you. He was a very confident man but he was also a white man and he knew that helped him . Had he been a very confident and competent woman, he would not have had that opportunity. Had he been a very confident black person he would not have had that opportunity. Get it now? Thank goodness that’s changing
    Last edited by Isalexi; 10th May 2018 at 06:47 PM.

  8. #58
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    1,949
    Thanks
    2694

    From
    Massachusetts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Hellh0und View Post
    It's this "us vs them" mentality the left fosters with race relationships where we can't achieve Dr. kings goals of "content of character".


    today, saying one judges people by the "content of character" is racist.
    Who have you heard say that’s racist?

  9. #59
    Wawa Skittletits BDBoop's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    43,665
    Thanks
    39133

    From
    Sometimes I get cranky
    Thanks from Blueneck, Ian Jeffrey and ATLglock

  10. #60
    Cyborg Coyote's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,473
    Thanks
    7877

    From
    Unimatrix Zero
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    I am picking the side that is irrebuttably presumed to be evil based on its skin color.


    I do not believe anything in this regard is hidden or unconscious, which would imply an inherent conspiracy of some kind. And what biases exist are essentially natural, if in some instances inappropriate under the Establishment Clause, given that Xianity is the majority religion here. Not all Xians buy into them. Certainly, there are those that do - a few on this board have made their presence known - but it hardly seem like something across the board. It might be more accurate to say that, since it is by far the majority religion (depending on how and who you count), it is what to most people is considered "usual" or "default," while other religions are less usual and not well-understood.

    To be sure, there is a thing called "Xian Privilege," but the Supreme Court, in applying the Establishment Clause, has by and large dismantled most of its institutional manifestations, to the dismay of some. That application of "Privilege" is more an attitude or feeling possessed by those who are angry at having lost it rather than a hidden or unconscious position by those who have it.
    Even the most famous logician of the common era isn't immune to his own straw man challenge.

    I never ever said white people are evil, presumed or otherwise. Didn't even imply it.

    And you appear to be suggesting white supremacy not only exists, but is consciously chosen by its adherents, who you seem to be defending. Or at least justifying.
    Last edited by Coyote; 11th May 2018 at 01:29 AM.

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Got Privilege?
    By Amelia in forum Civil Rights
    Replies: 161
    Last Post: 22nd August 2016, 06:08 AM
  2. Now THAT is PRIVILEGE!
    By The Man in forum Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 4th May 2016, 07:32 PM
  3. Privilege
    By The Man in forum Current Events
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 8th January 2015, 01:27 AM
  4. Cossack privilege lol
    By The Man in forum Current Events
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10th August 2013, 05:56 PM
  5. White Privilege
    By Babba in forum Racism
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 24th June 2013, 11:53 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed