Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 220
Thanks Tree133Thanks

Thread: Privilege

  1. #1
    Cyborg Coyote's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,473
    Thanks
    7877

    From
    Unimatrix Zero

    Privilege

    Not that difficult of a concept.

    I'm going through some stupid political bullshit maneuvering at work. I suspect it's because I'm trans. I've lain awake many nights wondering what I'm going to do about it, if anything.

    However, I don't for one moment think that my treatment is due to my skin color. I haven't been stressed out about how to get along with my coworkers who may not like my skin tone or the way I talk. Yeah, I'm pretty upset about what's going on, but I know for damned certain that it has nothing to do with my being white. In fact, it never even occurred to me to state the clearly obvious until someone here claimed my privilege didn't exist.

    That is privilege.
    Thanks from Blueneck, Friday13 and Davocrat

  2. #2
    your better Rev. Hellh0und's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    40,036
    Thanks
    4371

    From
    NYC
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
    Not that difficult of a concept.

    I'm going through some stupid political bullshit maneuvering at work. I suspect it's because I'm trans. I've lain awake many nights wondering what I'm going to do about it, if anything.

    However, I don't for one moment think that my treatment is due to my skin color. I haven't been stressed out about how to get along with my coworkers who may not like my skin tone or the way I talk. Yeah, I'm pretty upset about what's going on, but I know for damned certain that it has nothing to do with my being white. In fact, it never even occurred to me to state the clearly obvious until someone here claimed my privilege didn't exist.

    That is privilege.



    So you are suggesting that there is never a case where having white skin has others looking at you like you don't belong?


    I'd love to take you for a ride someday to some of my old neighborhoods. lol
    Thanks from Pureinheart

  3. #3
    Senior Member NeoVsMatrix's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    8,642
    Thanks
    7668

    From
    NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Hellh0und View Post
    So you are suggesting that there is never a case where having white skin has others looking at you like you don't belong?


    I'd love to take you for a ride someday to some of my old neighborhoods. lol
    Those predominantly AA neighborhoods, or latin neighborhoods, i assume.
    Minority ghettos, previously created by white privilege at the time, which is now gentrified at rapid rates, as whites are pricing out the current habitats, driving them further out of the city and boroughs, day by day.

    Yeah, you sure haven't gotten the concept of white privilege yet.

    If only you would know...
    Thanks from Panzareta, Blueneck, Coyote and 6 others

  4. #4
    your better Rev. Hellh0und's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    40,036
    Thanks
    4371

    From
    NYC
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoVsMatrix View Post
    Those predominantly AA neighborhoods, or latin neighborhoods, i assume.
    Minority ghettos, previously created by white privilege at the time, which is now gentrified at rapid rates, as whites are pricing out the current habitats, driving them further out of the city and boroughs, day by day.

    Yeah, you sure haven't gotten the concept of white privilege yet.

    If only you would know...



    So wait, you are saying "white privilege" created ghettos which are now being gentrified pushing minorities out of cities and boroughs day by day?



    this begs the question.


    Where the fuck do you think they are going.





    White privilege is a myth, Jay-z has displaced more black people than just about anyone in the city.




    I Grew up on the lower east side and in newark, NJ in the late 70's and the 80's, tell me more about what I don't understand.
    Thanks from Pureinheart

  5. #5
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    29,549
    Thanks
    7776

    From
    Great State of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Hellh0und View Post
    So wait, you are saying "white privilege" created ghettos which are now being gentrified pushing minorities out of cities and boroughs day by day?



    this begs the question.


    Where the fuck do you think they are going.





    White privilege is a myth, Jay-z has displaced more black people than just about anyone in the city.




    I Grew up on the lower east side and in newark, NJ in the late 70's and the 80's, tell me more about what I don't understand.
    The psycho is real .....

  6. #6
    Cyborg Coyote's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,473
    Thanks
    7877

    From
    Unimatrix Zero
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Hellh0und View Post
    So you are suggesting that there is never a case where having white skin has others looking at you like you don't belong?
    Not at work, no. And any time I have felt that way it's been my own perception and my own problem, projecting my fears outward.

    I've never been pulled over and suspected that the reason is because I was white. I've had the cops called on me before, but never have I thought it was because I was white. When the cops arrived, most of them looked like me. I've been followed in stores before by security (who also looked like me). It wasn't because I am white.

    When I shop for skin and hair care products, I don't have to go to a special section of the store. For that matter, the products I prefer aren't kept locked up somewhere.

    I have band-aids in my medicine cabinet that more or less match my skin tone. OK, maybe less, but for the most part they're unnoticeable. I didn't have to spend any extra energy to find them. They were right there with all the other first aid products, right at eye level. I just grabbed a box without thinking.

    I got in trouble A LOT at school. I got paddled many times. Sent to the principal's office, and suspended when I got too old to be paddled and it was passing out of style anyway. Never once did I think I might have been getting treated more harshly because I'm white.

    I was socially awkward AF in school. I was picked on almost constantly from 3rd through 9th grades. It wasn't until I got better at mimicking social cues that the bullying lessened. Having my driver's license and some sense of control over my life helped, and put me on almost an equal footing with my peers. But never was I harassed and bullied for being white (unlike the lone Black kid in my class).

    I was unemployed for five years. Practically unhirable. I almost never even got interviews, and on the rare occasions that I did I never got callbacks. It wasn't because of my interviewing skills, because I'm pretty good at them. Never once have I ever thought that all those people might be uncomfortable hiring me because I'm white and they don't know how to deal with that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Hellh0und View Post
    I'd love to take you for a ride someday to some of my old neighborhoods. lol
    Not necessary, though I thank you for the offer. The area I live in is about 30/30/30/10, at least going by the demographics at my school. I'll let you speculate how that breaks down.

    Strangely, most of my coworkers and all of the administration is white, though. Hmmm.... I wonder why that might be.
    Thanks from Kontrary, Friday13 and Davocrat

  7. #7
    your better Rev. Hellh0und's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    40,036
    Thanks
    4371

    From
    NYC
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
    Not at work, no. And any time I have felt that way it's been my own perception and my own problem, projecting my fears outward.

    This is usually the case, what we think people are thinking about us is our own creation that has little to do with reality.

    I've never been pulled over and suspected that the reason is because I was white. I've had the cops called on me before, but never have I thought it was because I was white. When the cops arrived, most of them looked like me. I've been followed in stores before by security (who also looked like me). It wasn't because I am white.
    Drive through paterson, NJ at 2am. You will get pulled over because you are white. I have, and still do from time to time as I cut through to get home. The cops, think I'm there to buy drugs, because I'm white.

    go to any place that has a high crime/drug problem and you'll get pulled over for being white. When I lived in Newark, I had to purposefully get to know the cops to stop getting harrassed for being in my own neighborhood because I was white.



    When I shop for skin and hair care products, I don't have to go to a special section of the store. For that matter, the products I prefer aren't kept locked up somewhere.

    I remember that story. It wasn't about race it was about loss. products that were stolen were locked up, the fact it was black hair products is irrellevant.



    I have band-aids in my medicine cabinet that more or less match my skin tone. OK, maybe less, but for the most part they're unnoticeable. I didn't have to spend any extra energy to find them. They were right there with all the other first aid products, right at eye level. I just grabbed a box without thinking.
    again, it's about market demand, not racism.


    I got in trouble A LOT at school. I got paddled many times. Sent to the principal's office, and suspended when I got too old to be paddled and it was passing out of style anyway. Never once did I think I might have been getting treated more harshly because I'm white.

    When I used to get into fights as a young kid, often, I thought it was because I was white.



    I was socially awkward AF in school. I was picked on almost constantly from 3rd through 9th grades. It wasn't until I got better at mimicking social cues that the bullying lessened. Having my driver's license and some sense of control over my life helped, and put me on almost an equal footing with my peers. But never was I harassed and bullied for being white (unlike the lone Black kid in my class).
    Same with me, cept I was one of 3 white kids in my class of over 50 kids.

    I was unemployed for five years. Practically unhirable. I almost never even got interviews, and on the rare occasions that I did I never got callbacks. It wasn't because of my interviewing skills, because I'm pretty good at them. Never once have I ever thought that all those people might be uncomfortable hiring me because I'm white and they don't know how to deal with that.

    ok, enough of this, go back to the first sentence and my response.





    Not necessary, though I thank you for the offer. The area I live in is about 30/30/30/10, at least going by the demographics at my school. I'll let you speculate how that breaks down.

    Strangely, most of my coworkers and all of the administration is white, though. Hmmm.... I wonder why that might be.

    perhaps they were simply the most qualified. Given that white people make up far more of the population than other minorities wouldn't it be likely that in many cases more white people would be on a schoolboard?


    is it an elected position? how many back people ran? there are so many variables other than "white privilege" that you fail to consider.

  8. #8
    Cyborg Coyote's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,473
    Thanks
    7877

    From
    Unimatrix Zero
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Hellh0und View Post
    This is usually the case, what we think people are thinking about us is our own creation that has little to do with reality.



    Drive through paterson, NJ at 2am. You will get pulled over because you are white. I have, and still do from time to time as I cut through to get home. The cops, think I'm there to buy drugs, because I'm white.

    go to any place that has a high crime/drug problem and you'll get pulled over for being white. When I lived in Newark, I had to purposefully get to know the cops to stop getting harrassed for being in my own neighborhood because I was white.
    You can name places where you perceive this to be true all day long, and for every place you name, I can name ten more where the opposite is true. Let's accept for a moment that what you say is true, there are places where the people in power will discriminate against me because I'm white. Let's really go out on a limb and speculate that a full 10% of the country is off-limits to me because I'm white.

    Okily Dokily, that leaves 90% of the country where I can be stereotypically white as hell with zero danger to myself.

    Work beckons, and I still need to pack my lunch of wonder bread, mayonnaise, quinoa, and saltines. Another day, another dollar. See you later, alligator.
    Thanks from Kontrary and Friday13

  9. #9
    Dick with my Buzz...Try DebateDrone's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    36,989
    Thanks
    31928

    From
    SWUSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Hellh0und View Post
    So you are suggesting that there is never a case where having white skin has others looking at you like you don't belong?
    Not among the vast majority of America ...from sea to shining sea.

    The vast majority of Americans do not live their lives in old diverse neighborhoods.


    Ive been all over this country. In some of the hardest neighborhoods most people would never imagine. But the is not the America most of Americans live in.
    Thanks from BigBob and Friday13

  10. #10
    your better Rev. Hellh0und's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    40,036
    Thanks
    4371

    From
    NYC
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
    You can name places where you perceive this to be true all day long, and for every place you name, I can name ten more where the opposite is true. Let's accept for a moment that what you say is true, there are places where the people in power will discriminate against me because I'm white. Let's really go out on a limb and speculate that a full 10% of the country is off-limits to me because I'm white.

    Okily Dokily, that leaves 90% of the country where I can be stereotypically white as hell with zero danger to myself.

    Work beckons, and I still need to pack my lunch of wonder bread, mayonnaise, quinoa, and saltines. Another day, another dollar. See you later, alligator. [/QUOTE]



    But you haven't proven your case. White privilege is a myth. economic privilege exists, I will grant you that, however the idea that I have or had it better because I am white does not bear with my experience nor reality. that's my point.


    You need to eat better.

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Got Privilege?
    By Amelia in forum Civil Rights
    Replies: 161
    Last Post: 22nd August 2016, 06:08 AM
  2. Now THAT is PRIVILEGE!
    By The Man in forum Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 4th May 2016, 07:32 PM
  3. Privilege
    By The Man in forum Current Events
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 8th January 2015, 01:27 AM
  4. Cossack privilege lol
    By The Man in forum Current Events
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10th August 2013, 05:56 PM
  5. White Privilege
    By Babba in forum Racism
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 24th June 2013, 11:53 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed