Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21
Thanks Tree7Thanks

Thread: Social Experiment:Steely Dan

  1. #11
    Senior Member BoiseBo's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2013
    Posts
    10,722
    Thanks
    8656

    From
    Boise, ID
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    Huh. I like their earlier albums better than Aja and Gaucho. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I suppose my personal favorite is Katy Lied, although I am also very fond of both Pretzel Logic and Countdown to Ecstasy.
    Katy lied is my favorite album - Here's a cool cover of Rose Darling

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPcLXqxGFMk

    Thanks from BigLeRoy

  2. #12
    Senior Member BoiseBo's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2013
    Posts
    10,722
    Thanks
    8656

    From
    Boise, ID
    Quote Originally Posted by Thx1138 View Post

    Um. social commentary... What Do You Have To Say?

    Simple, but so complicated a question...

    Thx Your social commentary combined with awesome music thread setter.

    Bonus> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzrDs_Vaho4
    Becker & Fagen lived in LA during this period -

    For me (GREAT song btw) it's just about knocking around town in a pair of worn out sneakers sipping on a pina colada in the mid-70s checking out all the characters.

    My favorite lyric:

    You fellah, you tearin' up the street
    You wear that white tuxedo
    How you gonna beat the heat
    Do you take me for a fool
    Do you think that I don't see
    That ditch out in the valley
    That they're digging just for me

    What it means exactly is somewhat of a mystery - but like so many of their tunes .. the lyrics (and music) paint a picture

    RIP Walter Becker
    Thanks from BigLeRoy

  3. #13
    New Member
    Joined
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    112
    Thanks
    32

    From
    Bremerton, Wa
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly5 View Post
    Actually there're all good, I listen to them quite often.
    Pretzel Logic was OK.

  4. #14
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    27,442
    Thanks
    6966

    From
    midwest
    Quote Originally Posted by BoiseBo View Post
    Becker & Fagen lived in LA during this period -

    For me (GREAT song btw) it's just about knocking around town in a pair of worn out sneakers sipping on a pina colada in the mid-70s checking out all the characters.

    My favorite lyric:

    You fellah, you tearin' up the street
    You wear that white tuxedo
    How you gonna beat the heat
    Do you take me for a fool
    Do you think that I don't see
    That ditch out in the valley
    That they're digging just for me

    What it means exactly is somewhat of a mystery - but like so many of their tunes .. the lyrics (and music) paint a picture

    RIP Walter Becker
    Used to drive cross country occasionally, about 2000 miles each way.

    SD on tape was the plan, others, too, but as much SD as any group.

    In the days before satellite radio that was as good as it got...

  5. #15
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    34,672
    Thanks
    30110

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller47 View Post
    I've probably listened to em all, and every one has some good tracks.

    Some more than others, of course.

    As with all bands.

    Even the Beatles turned out some stuff I didn't care for.
    I can only think of 4 or 5 songs by the Beatles that I didn't care for. Revolution #9 from the White Album is unlistenable. Not even 'music'.
    Thanks from BoiseBo

  6. #16
    Senior Member BoiseBo's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2013
    Posts
    10,722
    Thanks
    8656

    From
    Boise, ID
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller47 View Post
    Used to drive cross country occasionally, about 2000 miles each way.

    SD on tape was the plan, others, too, but as much SD as any group.

    In the days before satellite radio that was as good as it got...
    Well, SD was plenty good right?

    Funny, their first - Can't Buy a Thrill dropped in '72. Heard a couple of the songs (Reelin' in the Years, etc) on the radio ...
    But I honestly didn't fully discover The Dan until around 3 years later when I saw them in concert at the Whiskey a Go Go in HollyNormalwood.
    By then I think they had two more out and I went and bought 'em all.

    Hell, I even bought all of Fagen's solo stuff - An entire drawer in my CD storage cabinet is filled to overflowing by SD and Fagen.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBruAooXPNU


  7. #17
    Senior Member BoiseBo's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2013
    Posts
    10,722
    Thanks
    8656

    From
    Boise, ID
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    I can only think of 4 or 5 songs by the Beatles that I didn't care for. Revolution #9 from the White Album is unlistenable. Not even 'music'.
    Oh - is that the one that played backwards said "Paul is dead" and other crazy shit?

    LoL - I'd have to say that the only Beatles songs I didn't care for much were Ringo's - Yellow Submarine is goofy IMHO

    I'm the only guy I know my age who saw the Beatles Live - Dodger Stadium in 1964 first North American tour.

    Dad took my sister and I because she was insane over 'em .. Think I would have been 7 years old.

    It was very exciting - a helicopter landed out in right field and the boys ran with their guitars from there to the stage around second base, took the stage, plugged in and launched into Twist & Shout.

    One of those things ya never forget even though the screams from teenage girls kinda drowned out the music.

  8. #18
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    27,442
    Thanks
    6966

    From
    midwest
    Quote Originally Posted by BoiseBo View Post
    Well, SD was plenty good right?

    Funny, their first - Can't Buy a Thrill dropped in '72. Heard a couple of the songs (Reelin' in the Years, etc) on the radio ...
    But I honestly didn't fully discover The Dan until around 3 years later when I saw them in concert at the Whiskey a Go Go in HollyNormalwood.
    By then I think they had two more out and I went and bought 'em all.

    Hell, I even bought all of Fagen's solo stuff - An entire drawer in my CD storage cabinet is filled to overflowing by SD and Fagen.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBruAooXPNU

    I don't think there was any other music as good to drive with.

    I musta had nearly all their albums on tape.

    When I was driving, I'd go about 18 hours at a time so great music was a must.

    SD was Rock, but also Jazz, some funk, great instrumentals...everything I like, a great fusion.

    I even bought one of Fagans albums, too.

    It don't remember it being great, you could hear some SD in it but I never bought another one, don't even know how many solo albums he did.

    RIP Steely Dan...
    Last edited by Miller47; 29th June 2018 at 07:43 AM.

  9. #19
    Veteran Member aboutenough's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    55,763
    Thanks
    3053

    From
    Washington state
    Best song of all time with Elliot Randall on Guitar playing best solo of all time

  10. #20
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    34,672
    Thanks
    30110

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by BoiseBo View Post
    Oh - is that the one that played backwards said "Paul is dead" and other crazy shit?

    LoL - I'd have to say that the only Beatles songs I didn't care for much were Ringo's - Yellow Submarine is goofy IMHO

    I'm the only guy I know my age who saw the Beatles Live - Dodger Stadium in 1964 first North American tour.

    Dad took my sister and I because she was insane over 'em .. Think I would have been 7 years old.

    It was very exciting - a helicopter landed out in right field and the boys ran with their guitars from there to the stage around second base, took the stage, plugged in and launched into Twist & Shout.

    One of those things ya never forget even though the screams from teenage girls kinda drowned out the music.
    Wow, I LOVE the song 'Yellow Submarine'!! There is SOOO much going on in that song, in terms of background noises and weird sound effects, and it ALL WORKS! It is nothing less than BRILLIANT! And it's a great SING-ALONG song! When that song first came out, it seemed like EVERYONE was singing along to it for like three months! "We all live in a yellow submarine, a yellow submarine, a yellow submarine...." Ha!

    I don't care for some of their REALLY early stuff. It's blasphemy to some Beatles fans, but I think the song "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" is, well, just juvenile. Come on, girl, you think ALL he wants to do is to hold your hand?!?? HA! I scoff in your general direction!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Bernie vs Trump, Who is more Violent! (Social Experiment)
    By curiousou in forum Current Events
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 1st April 2016, 03:15 AM
  2. USSR - Illuminati Experiment Was "Social Catastrophe"
    By Octoldit in forum Conspiracy Theories
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 24th June 2009, 03:48 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed