Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 61
Thanks Tree11Thanks

Thread: Christian Dominionism-The Real Threat to Our Secular Republic

  1. #31
    quichierbichen
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    61,262
    Thanks
    33120

    From
    in my head
    Quote Originally Posted by Constitutional Sheepdog View Post

    It's in their header on their gov. site
    The Office of the Chaplain, United States House of Representatives
    FYI every Chaplian was Christian up until the late 20th century.
    Actually, every chaplain has been a Christian through the end of the 20th century. But the legislation doesn't indicate a faith for the Office of Chaplain in either chamber. This line of argument does nothing to connect our government with the Christian religion.

  2. #32
    quichierbichen
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    61,262
    Thanks
    33120

    From
    in my head
    Quote Originally Posted by Constitutional Sheepdog View Post
    He wrote it but the Congress voted on it if he was going to pray that prayer.
    Again, so?

  3. #33
    quichierbichen
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    61,262
    Thanks
    33120

    From
    in my head
    Quote Originally Posted by Constitutional Sheepdog View Post
    This appears on the very same page:
    Muslim Congressional Jummah Prayer Service
    08/12/2016, 12:30 PM
    HC5 The Capitol
    Open to Congressional Members, Staff and general public.

    For more information contact Moon Sulfab
    moon_sulfab@mcconnell.senate.gov

  4. #34
    Established Member Constitutional Sheepdog's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    4,098
    Thanks
    579

    From
    Kannapolis North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasselas View Post
    Actually, every chaplain has been a Christian through the end of the 20th century. But the legislation doesn't indicate a faith for the Office of Chaplain in either chamber. This line of argument does nothing to connect our government with the Christian religion.
    Which again brings us back to our Christian heritage. Why not appoint someone from another faith? They didn't because it went against our Christian teachings.

  5. #35
    quichierbichen
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    61,262
    Thanks
    33120

    From
    in my head
    Quote Originally Posted by Constitutional Sheepdog View Post
    Which again brings us back to our Christian heritage. Why not appoint someone from another faith? They didn't because it went against our Christian teachings.
    They didn't because there were so few members of any other faith in the country--politicians rarely do things that don't have public support. They didn't appoint any Catholics either--does that mean we have a Protestant Heritage? There have always been Americans who thought so, and many hoped to discriminate against Catholics and call them enemies of the state: Rum, Romanism, and Rebellion ? And The Election That Got Away | In The Past Lane

    I don't actually have a problem with the idea that the US has a "Christian heritage," but it also has a heritage of slavery and genocide.

    What matters is what that "heritage" means moving forward. Are you suggesting that because the US was majority Christian in 1776 (or 1830, which is when we really became ubiquitously religious) that we have to enshrine that fact in law? Does that mean you also think we have a moral obligation to bring back slavery? That our mass murder of Native Americans should be championed?

    I'm not sure why the customs of the past must be visited, as a point of law, on the present. Sounds like a fallacy of tradition.

    -----

    Your evidence for "Christian heritage" enshrined in law is thin, at best.
    Last edited by Rasselas; 18th January 2017 at 02:00 PM.

  6. #36
    Established Member Constitutional Sheepdog's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    4,098
    Thanks
    579

    From
    Kannapolis North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasselas View Post
    Again, so?
    You say so? Rev Duché WASN'T SPEAKING FOR HIMSELF BUT FOR ALL THE CONGRESS AND COUNTRY.
    All this WE ask in the name and through the merits of Jesus Christ, Thy Son and OUR Savior.

  7. #37
    Established Member Constitutional Sheepdog's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    4,098
    Thanks
    579

    From
    Kannapolis North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasselas View Post
    This appears on the very same page:
    And your point? which is irrelevant to what I have stated

  8. #38
    Established Member Constitutional Sheepdog's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    4,098
    Thanks
    579

    From
    Kannapolis North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasselas View Post
    They didn't because there were so few members of any other faith in the country--politicians rarely do things that don't have public support. They didn't appoint any Catholics either--does that mean we have a Protestant Heritage? There have always been Americans who thought so, and many hoped to discriminate against Catholics and call them enemies of the state: Rum, Romanism, and Rebellion ? And The Election That Got Away | In The Past Lane
    Because we were at one time a Christian nation. That's why no other faith was appointed to that position.

  9. #39
    Chubby Member
    Joined
    May 2006
    Posts
    8,837
    Thanks
    2627

    As always, it's fundamentalism you have to be afraid of. Free market fundies, eco fundies, religious fundies, whatever. The defining characteristic is the unwillingness to compromise on anything, the insistence on telling other people how to live, and a dependency on dogma that destroys their critical thinking abilities (assuming they ever had any).

  10. #40
    quichierbichen
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    61,262
    Thanks
    33120

    From
    in my head
    Quote Originally Posted by Constitutional Sheepdog View Post
    Which again brings us back to our Christian heritage. Why not appoint someone from another faith? They didn't because it went against our Christian teachings.
    They did it because there were so few members of another faith in the country. No political upside.

    Our Constitution strictly forbids a religious test for office precisely because our founders didn't want people making decisions based on "our Christian teachings" to the exclusion of other considerations.
    Thanks from Blues63

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Where is the real threat?
    By Cicero in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 13th April 2015, 12:11 AM
  2. The real threat:
    By BruceTLaney in forum Conspiracy Theories
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 5th October 2014, 10:17 AM
  3. Here's the mugshot of a real criminal threat...
    By Czernobog in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 17th December 2013, 03:02 PM
  4. The Threat Of Martial Law Is Real
    By MeMyselfnI in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: 1st August 2007, 03:36 PM
  5. Is the Christian right a threat to our freedom?
    By Zarathustra in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 25th June 2007, 10:42 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed