Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26
Thanks Tree4Thanks

Thread: NFL Cheats/Game Results are Fake

  1. #1
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    65,563
    Thanks
    37125

    From
    in my head

    NFL Cheats/Game Results are Fake

    Why is it that owners of NFL teams are so careful about the political freedoms of their players? It's been pointed out that other leagues (like the even more African-American NBA) have moved to prevent Kaepernick-style protests. The NFL is almost laughable in its policing of uniforms, touchdown celebrations, etc.--but it won't move to quash this particular behavior, even if it costs them a big controversy and alienates some fans?

    The NFL players have some kind of leverage that other professional athletes don't get. What could that be?

    -----

    Football is an incredibly complicated game where the actions of 22 men at any moment can affect the outcome. Like baseball, it's a game of inches. The difference between a 44-yard catch and run and an incompletion is often so small that fans can't see it. And players can vary their efforts without easily being detected. Did he drop that ball, or was it just more difficult an effort than he could manage on that play? Was that blown coverage...accidental?

    The NFL controls came tape very closely. Every game is captured by a League camera high above the action that shows all 22 players at once. You almost never see this tape except on analysis shows on...the NFL channel. They never make this tape available to the public, except to prove some point they want to make.

    According to NFL Confidential, an anonymous tell-all book by an unknown NFL player rumored to be an offensive lineman, something like half of NFL players are taking pain killers DURING games. That's a recipe for playing "does this hurt?" to the point of injury.

    Ever notice how the team with a better-than-seven-point lead going into the second half suddenly stops playing the game in legal ways, resulting in a spate of penalties that awards about 50 yards to the trailing team?

    All these things tell me that the National Football LEAGUE controls the outcome of games more than the players do. And I'm not suggesting the League wants one team or another to win--only that they want games to stay close (if possible) until advertisers in the 4th quarter get their messages seen and heard.

    And players know all about this. That's why the NFL owners are running scared of players while other leagues are like "meh."

  2. #2
    Veteran Member Panzareta's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    33,888
    Thanks
    20740

    From
    On a happy trail
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasselas View Post
    Why is it that owners of NFL teams are so careful about the political freedoms of their players? It's been pointed out that other leagues (like the even more African-American NBA) have moved to prevent Kaepernick-style protests. The NFL is almost laughable in its policing of uniforms, touchdown celebrations, etc.--but it won't move to quash this particular behavior, even if it costs them a big controversy and alienates some fans?

    The NFL players have some kind of leverage that other professional athletes don't get. What could that be?

    -----

    Football is an incredibly complicated game where the actions of 22 men at any moment can affect the outcome. Like baseball, it's a game of inches. The difference between a 44-yard catch and run and an incompletion is often so small that fans can't see it. And players can vary their efforts without easily being detected. Did he drop that ball, or was it just more difficult an effort than he could manage on that play? Was that blown coverage...accidental?

    The NFL controls came tape very closely. Every game is captured by a League camera high above the action that shows all 22 players at once. You almost never see this tape except on analysis shows on...the NFL channel. They never make this tape available to the public, except to prove some point they want to make.

    According to NFL Confidential, an anonymous tell-all book by an unknown NFL player rumored to be an offensive lineman, something like half of NFL players are taking pain killers DURING games. That's a recipe for playing "does this hurt?" to the point of injury.

    Ever notice how the team with a better-than-seven-point lead going into the second half suddenly stops playing the game in legal ways, resulting in a spate of penalties that awards about 50 yards to the trailing team?

    All these things tell me that the National Football LEAGUE controls the outcome of games more than the players do. And I'm not suggesting the League wants one team or another to win--only that they want games to stay close (if possible) until advertisers in the 4th quarter get their messages seen and heard.

    And players know all about this. That's why the NFL owners are running scared of players while other leagues are like "meh."
    NFL players need to man up and stop taking pain killers. Trump should tell them to just say "no".
    Thanks from Dragonfly5

  3. #3
    Veteran Member bmanmcfly's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    21,435
    Thanks
    3372

    From
    C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
    I'm not a fan of football one way or the other.

    The NFL in particular has been caught numerous times rigging games.

    Like 2001, the patriots were at best a mid level team that year, then 9-11 happened, they did not lose a game and made the big come from behind win at the end of the season.

    Most of the time, it's less to do with selling a narrative, as much as it's about gambling... If a game is rigged so an obvious loser wins the game, people will look for that. On the other hand, a bad play that costs a few points to change whether or not a team beats the spread... That has a lot more value many times than the outcome of the game itself.

    I think it's part of why the UFC is gaining so much ground, its just pure sport, best person wins.

  4. #4
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    65,563
    Thanks
    37125

    From
    in my head
    Quote Originally Posted by bmanmcfly View Post
    I'm not a fan of football one way or the other.

    The NFL in particular has been caught numerous times rigging games.

    Like 2001, the patriots were at best a mid level team that year, then 9-11 happened, they did not lose a game and made the big come from behind win at the end of the season.

    Most of the time, it's less to do with selling a narrative, as much as it's about gambling... If a game is rigged so an obvious loser wins the game, people will look for that. On the other hand, a bad play that costs a few points to change whether or not a team beats the spread... That has a lot more value many times than the outcome of the game itself.

    I think it's part of why the UFC is gaining so much ground, its just pure sport, best person wins.
    That's one explanation, but I'm not sure how the League benefits from what you're suggesting. IT's not like anyone in the NFL is doing the betting, or that they have that much to gain from gambling, which is a side activity. Their teams are worth $100s of millions.

    They do have a direct interest in seeing NFL games remain close until the end.

  5. #5
    Moderator HCProf's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    22,992
    Thanks
    11942

    From
    USA
    Quote Originally Posted by bmanmcfly View Post
    I'm not a fan of football one way or the other.

    The NFL in particular has been caught numerous times rigging games.

    Like 2001, the patriots were at best a mid level team that year, then 9-11 happened, they did not lose a game and made the big come from behind win at the end of the season.

    Most of the time, it's less to do with selling a narrative, as much as it's about gambling... If a game is rigged so an obvious loser wins the game, people will look for that. On the other hand, a bad play that costs a few points to change whether or not a team beats the spread... That has a lot more value many times than the outcome of the game itself.

    I think it's part of why the UFC is gaining so much ground, its just pure sport, best person wins.
    I have heard of it too...from bookies. Big dollars surround NFL games and we all know who the bookies work for.

  6. #6
    Nuisance Factor Yeti 8 Jungle Swing Champion, YetiSports 4 - Albatross Overload Champion, YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion boontito's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    95,689
    Thanks
    73581

    From
    <-- "Meme Boy"
    I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm just not so sure there's evidence to support such a theory. I'd believe there is a far better chance of game results being affected by individual or groups of players colluding with gamblers than I would that the league as a whole would be involved in such action. I don't see the risk / reward for them.

  7. #7
    Veteran Member Dr.Knuckles's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    100,528
    Thanks
    8390

    From
    Vancouver
    The NBA has had their rules for a while. The NFL would have to actually, actively CHANGE their rules retroactively to silence this specific protest.

    Which would create conflict with their star moneymakers.
    Thanks from Rasselas and boontito

  8. #8
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    65,563
    Thanks
    37125

    From
    in my head
    Quote Originally Posted by boontito View Post
    I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm just not so sure there's evidence to support such a theory. I'd believe there is a far better chance of game results being affected by individual or groups of players colluding with gamblers than I would that the league as a whole would be involved in such action. I don't see the risk / reward for them.
    Fair enough, but the reward is huge. Football is really about TV. They'll rake in $14B this year, the bulk of it from media: NFL revenue reaches $14B, fueled by media - SportsBusiness Daily | SportsBusiness Journal | SportsBusiness Daily Global

    What drives media is drama, and drama means games have to be close for most of the game. The things they do to encourage parity helps, but I think there's more. And of course we'll never get the evidence to support such a theory, since the NFL controls the evidence.

    If we compare NFL football with other media properties of the same kind--things you can put on TV--they have to compete with shows that have writers, news, and reality TV. It's production costs vs. revenue. Reality TV is really cheap to produce. So, as it turns out, is news. Writers and actors demand a share of the profits that their agents and unions know. And then there's sports.

    Key Point: Writers can provide a consistent product at a predictable cost. So can producers of reality shows, though they are more subject to unknowns like the personalities of the dupes they film--I'll bet they get people like kmiller to help them pick, just like lawyers get jury consultants. News is inconsistent by its nature. If football can be more predictably exciting by keeping games close, they can compete better against this other competition.
    Last edited by Rasselas; 28th October 2017 at 02:22 PM.

  9. #9
    Nuisance Factor Yeti 8 Jungle Swing Champion, YetiSports 4 - Albatross Overload Champion, YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion boontito's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    95,689
    Thanks
    73581

    From
    <-- "Meme Boy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasselas View Post
    Fair enough, but the reward is huge. Football is really about TV. They'll rake in $14B this year, the bulk of it from media: NFL revenue reaches $14B, fueled by media - SportsBusiness Daily | SportsBusiness Journal | SportsBusiness Daily Global

    What drives media is drama, and drama means games have to be close for most of the game. The things they do to encourage parity helps, but I think there's more. And of course we'll never get the evidence to support such a theory, since the NFL controls the evidence.

    If we compare NFL football with other media properties of the same kind--things you can put on TV--they have to compete with shows that have writers, news, and reality TV. It's production costs vs. revenue. Reality TV is really cheap to produce. So, as it turns out, is news. Writers and actors demand a share of the profits that their agents and unions know. And then there's sports.

    Key Point: Writers can provide a consistent product at a predictable cost. So can producers of reality shows, though they are more subject to unknowns like the personalities of the dupes they film--I'll bet they get people like kmiller to help them pick, just like lawyers get jury consultants. News is inconsistent by its nature. If football can be more predictably exciting by keeping games close, they can compete better against this other competition.
    But the risk is bigger than that reward. The NFL has no bigger asset, not its teams or TV deal, than the antitrust exemption given to them by Congress. There's no way they'd risk losing that, which is what would happen if it was shown their games weren't on the up and up. That antitrust exemption is what allows them to get that big TV contract.

  10. #10
    Nuisance Factor Yeti 8 Jungle Swing Champion, YetiSports 4 - Albatross Overload Champion, YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion boontito's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    95,689
    Thanks
    73581

    From
    <-- "Meme Boy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasselas View Post
    Key Point: Writers can provide a consistent product at a predictable cost. So can producers of reality shows, though they are more subject to unknowns like the personalities of the dupes they film--I'll bet they get people like kmiller to help them pick, just like lawyers get jury consultants. News is inconsistent by its nature. If football can be more predictably exciting by keeping games close, they can compete better against this other competition.
    Football doesn't have scriptwriters, but they do have ways of keeping games close built in to the product. The worst teams get the top draft picks each year. This is specifically designed to keep the teams closer in talent level which cause games to be closer. The NFL also has a salary cap which allows for each team to spend approximately the same amount on their roster as every other team. Again, this is designed to encourage parity which keeps games close.

    The broadcasters do have scriptwriters in the form of statisticians and researchers. While they don't script the game, they shade the viewers perception. The Packers go up by 20 over the Bears as they enter the 4th quarter and suddenly the announcer busts out with "it was four years that the Bears staged an amazing comeback, scoring 21 unanswered 4th quarter points in a winning effort." This is specifically being said to make the viewer hang around and think the game isn't over.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 28
    Last Post: 21st September 2016, 02:35 PM
  2. Obama's War On Tax Cheats
    By MaryAnne in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10th April 2015, 04:14 AM
  3. Fake Head of George Bush in ‘Game of Thrones’ Sparks Ire
    By michaelr in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14th June 2012, 08:47 AM
  4. Hmm Repubs out and offshore tax cheats pay...go figure
    By liberalman in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 18th November 2009, 03:01 PM
  5. UBS forced to give up tax cheats
    By johnlocke in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 24th August 2009, 04:12 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed