Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
Thanks Tree27Thanks

Thread: High School: Islamic vocabulary lesson part of Common Core standards

  1. #1
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    180
    Thanks
    57

    From
    Mesquite

    High School: Islamic vocabulary lesson part of Common Core standards

    Parents in Farmville, North Carolina want to know why their children were given a Common Core vocabulary assignment in an English class that promoted the Prophet Muhammad and the Islamic faith

    High School: Islamic vocabulary lesson part of Common Core standards | Fox News

    There is nothing good about it. Islam is a cult of mohammad, not a language. Another reason to homeschool. Common core was designed by IDIOTS.

  2. #2
    Wrinkly Member Dangermouse's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    21,364
    Thanks
    19195

    From
    Sunny Bournemouth, Dorset
    The vocabulary being studied is in the English language. (simplified American dialect) Not Arabic, which is the commonly accepted "Islamic" language. It seems from this example OP that common core studies are desperately needed, in order to drag up standards of comprehension.
    Last edited by Dangermouse; 21st December 2014 at 09:42 AM.

  3. #3
    Veteran Member DebateDrone's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    31,219
    Thanks
    26401

    From
    SWUSA
    I wonder how much seniors and juniors in high school are to know about people they are going to decide how to deal with in their near future?

    I agree with the OP, we need to keep students as stupid as possible so they can be easily manipulated by politicians.

    Dumb is better.

  4. #4
    Southern Strategy Liberal OldGaffer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    36,812
    Thanks
    38815

    From
    Nashville, TN
    Quote Originally Posted by DebateDrone View Post
    I wonder how much seniors and juniors in high school are to know about people they are going to decide how to deal with in their near future?

    I agree with the OP, we need to keep students as stupid as possible so they can be easily manipulated by politicians.

    Dumb is better.
    They flock together.....

  5. #5
    Veteran Member angryamerican's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    16,145
    Thanks
    5422

    Quote Originally Posted by John Marston View Post
    Parents in Farmville, North Carolina want to know why their children were given a Common Core vocabulary assignment in an English class that promoted the Prophet Muhammad and the Islamic faith

    High School: Islamic vocabulary lesson part of Common Core standards | Fox News

    There is nothing good about it. Islam is a cult of mohammad, not a language. Another reason to homeschool. Common core was designed by IDIOTS.
    lol Farmville


  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    9,238
    Thanks
    4569

    From
    Where Northern Exposure meets the Village People
    Lets just look at the schools response to this:

    "The class recently finished reading Night by Elie Wiesel. As part of the study of this book, students were exposed to Judaism. I'm told that one of the next couple of lessons that will be taught in this class includes an examination of Psalm 23 as part of the lesson. Additionally, the workbook in question has another vocabulary lesson with words used in a passage about India's three great beliefs (Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism). Keep in mind that this workbook is just one of numerous resources used in the course. Students are exposed to various cultures, values, and beliefs through the reading of multiple types of literature, but teachers certainly aren't advocating for any of them.”


    Just another outrage over nothing.


    Also, after reading the lesson in question, it was hardly promoting Islam as the OP states.

  7. #7
    Southern Strategy Liberal OldGaffer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    36,812
    Thanks
    38815

    From
    Nashville, TN
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Lets just look at the schools response to this:

    "The class recently finished reading Night by Elie Wiesel. As part of the study of this book, students were exposed to Judaism. I'm told that one of the next couple of lessons that will be taught in this class includes an examination of Psalm 23 as part of the lesson. Additionally, the workbook in question has another vocabulary lesson with words used in a passage about India's three great beliefs (Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism). Keep in mind that this workbook is just one of numerous resources used in the course. Students are exposed to various cultures, values, and beliefs through the reading of multiple types of literature, but teachers certainly aren't advocating for any of them.”


    Just another outrage over nothing.


    Also, after reading the lesson in question, it was hardly promoting Islam as the OP states.
    DD had it right, some RWNJ's believe that stupid and ignorant trumps smart and educated.

  8. #8
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    76,560
    Thanks
    5475

    From
    Richmond Va
    Quote Originally Posted by angryamerican View Post
    lol Farmville

    The hicktown I grew up in was Farmville Va.
    I moved to Mt. Pilot (Richmond Va) in 87.
    They're still dumb as stumps there too.
    Thanks from Friday13

  9. #9
    Veteran Member Dr.Knuckles's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    98,423
    Thanks
    5216

    From
    Vancouver
    "The class recently finished reading*Night*by Elie Wiesel. As part of the study of this book, students were exposed to Judaism. I'm told that one of the next couple of lessons that will be taught in this class includes an examination of Psalm 23 as part of the lesson. Additionally, the workbook in question has another vocabulary lesson with words used in a passage about India's three great beliefs (Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism). Keep in mind that this workbook is just one of numerous resources used in the course. Students are exposed to various cultures, values, and beliefs through the reading of multiple types of literature, but teachers certainly aren't advocating for any of them.”

    Notice how the school district dodged my question?
    I missed the part where they avoided the question. They responded, gave specific examples, and timings.

    I guess I can see why the parent doesn't appreciate the importance of reading skills.

  10. #10
    quichierbichen
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    61,241
    Thanks
    33098

    From
    in my head
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gently View Post
    I missed the part where they avoided the question. They responded, gave specific examples, and timings.

    I guess I can see why the parent doesn't appreciate the importance of reading skills.
    Or why they wouldn't want a accurate discussion of modern religions. I'm thinking there's some Sermon on the Mount in that curriculum too.
    Thanks from Friday13

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Moms winning the Common Core war
    By bajisima in forum Education
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 29th July 2014, 01:53 PM
  2. Replies: 47
    Last Post: 7th April 2014, 12:45 PM
  3. NY teachers deliver big blow to Common Core
    By bajisima in forum Current Events
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 25th March 2014, 01:44 PM
  4. Why Moms Are Protesting Common Core
    By meridian5455 in forum Education
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 6th March 2014, 05:38 AM
  5. The Common Core has the Right Scared
    By Loki in forum Education
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 13th September 2013, 05:31 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed