Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 109
Thanks Tree99Thanks

Thread: The Ugly Wal-Mart Truth: Managers Treat the Workers Like Dirt

  1. #1
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    241
    Thanks
    90

    From
    Georgia

    The Ugly Wal-Mart Truth: Managers Treat the Workers Like Dirt

    The Ugly Walmart Truth: Some Managers Treat Workers Like Dirt | Alternet

    Low wages, no benefits, irregular schedules, and unreliable hours are just some of the horrible working conditions most Walmart workers have to endure. Yet when I asked some of the workers what they consider the worst part about working for the corporation, they didn’t mention any of these wretched labor practices. Instead, they all gave the same answer: disrespectful managers.

    These managers have committed offenses big and small. Some have refused to return a “hello” from their workers. Others have forced workers to do heavy-duty work despite medical conditions and pregnancies. And worse, one manager even told an African-American worker that “he’d like to put rope around his neck.”

    When workers try to better their working conditions through OUR Walmart, a community of current and former workers, managers’ behavior often gets worse. A manager was even recorded telling workers he “wanted to shoot everyone” organizing for change.

    This leads to one of two conclusions. Either Walmart is eerily talented at hiring the meanest bullies on earth, or there is something about the corporation’s culture that manipulates its managers into treating workers in a subhuman fashion. After reading leaked documents that exposed the way Walmart trains its managers on how to deal with OUR Walmart workers (hint: by misinforming and tattling on them), I developed a hunch it was the latter. Then "Dan," an assistant manager for a Walmart store in the Midwest, confirmed my intuition.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Arcee's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    177
    Thanks
    47

    From
    United States
    I've heard that working retail is hell. I can imagine it is.
    Retail Hell stories. Enjoy:
    http://forum.purseblog.com/career-an...l-514174.html?
    Last edited by Arcee; 31st January 2015 at 05:13 PM.

  3. #3
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    47,122
    Thanks
    29113

    From
    New Hampshire
    Target is the worst of all of them. They hire 16 year olds and then tell them they have to leave school early to work. They get nasty too if parents complain.
    Thanks from Cicero

  4. #4
    Veteran Member Moorhuhn Wanted Champion Hollywood's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    71,032
    Thanks
    34859

    From
    Memphis, Tn.
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    Target is the worst of all of them. They hire 16 year olds and then tell them they have to leave school early to work. They get nasty too if parents complain.
    and THEN tell them they would not have shit jobs is only they'd get off their lazy asses and get an education!!
    Thanks from MaryAnne, Panzareta, labrea and 1 others

  5. #5
    MeBelle Fan Boi knight's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    8,898
    Thanks
    8182

    From
    Galaxy ZRF
    Quote Originally Posted by maddas View Post
    The Ugly Walmart Truth: Some Managers Treat Workers Like Dirt | Alternet

    Low wages, no benefits, irregular schedules, and unreliable hours are just some of the horrible working conditions most Walmart workers have to endure. Yet when I asked some of the workers what they consider the worst part about working for the corporation, they didn’t mention any of these wretched labor practices. Instead, they all gave the same answer: disrespectful managers.

    These managers have committed offenses big and small. Some have refused to return a “hello” from their workers. Others have forced workers to do heavy-duty work despite medical conditions and pregnancies. And worse, one manager even told an African-American worker that “he’d like to put rope around his neck.”

    When workers try to better their working conditions through OUR Walmart, a community of current and former workers, managers’ behavior often gets worse. A manager was even recorded telling workers he “wanted to shoot everyone” organizing for change.

    This leads to one of two conclusions. Either Walmart is eerily talented at hiring the meanest bullies on earth, or there is something about the corporation’s culture that manipulates its managers into treating workers in a subhuman fashion. After reading leaked documents that exposed the way Walmart trains its managers on how to deal with OUR Walmart workers (hint: by misinforming and tattling on them), I developed a hunch it was the latter. Then "Dan," an assistant manager for a Walmart store in the Midwest, confirmed my intuition.
    I could write a book on this subject, because I work at Walmart.........until something better comes along. Anyone have any questions, ask me.
    Thanks from MaryAnne and labrea

  6. #6
    Somewhere else GoaTlOver's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,069
    Thanks
    622

    From
    San Diego...ish
    Quote Originally Posted by maddas View Post
    The Ugly Walmart Truth: Some Managers Treat Workers Like Dirt | Alternet

    Low wages, no benefits, irregular schedules, and unreliable hours are just some of the horrible working conditions most Walmart workers have to endure. Yet when I asked some of the workers what they consider the worst part about working for the corporation, they didn’t mention any of these wretched labor practices. Instead, they all gave the same answer: disrespectful managers.

    These managers have committed offenses big and small. Some have refused to return a “hello” from their workers. Others have forced workers to do heavy-duty work despite medical conditions and pregnancies. And worse, one manager even told an African-American worker that “he’d like to put rope around his neck.”

    When workers try to better their working conditions through OUR Walmart, a community of current and former workers, managers’ behavior often gets worse. A manager was even recorded telling workers he “wanted to shoot everyone” organizing for change.

    This leads to one of two conclusions. Either Walmart is eerily talented at hiring the meanest bullies on earth, or there is something about the corporation’s culture that manipulates its managers into treating workers in a subhuman fashion. After reading leaked documents that exposed the way Walmart trains its managers on how to deal with OUR Walmart workers (hint: by misinforming and tattling on them), I developed a hunch it was the latter. Then "Dan," an assistant manager for a Walmart store in the Midwest, confirmed my intuition.
    What?!?!?! Some Walmart managers treat people like dirt? Get out of here. A corporation with millions of employees, that does billions of dollars worth of business, that gives millions of people world wide what they want...has "some" managers that treat people like dirt? Maybe we should disband Walmart and let all of these people go back to work for the mom and pop places that paid them a "living wage" and treated them so well.

  7. #7
    Cat-tastic Babba's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    69,105
    Thanks
    51324

    From
    So. Md.
    Quote Originally Posted by knight View Post
    I could write a book on this subject, because I work at Walmart.........until something better comes along. Anyone have any questions, ask me.
    Is what the OP says true?
    Thanks from HenryPorter

  8. #8
    Veteran Member MaryAnne's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    51,564
    Thanks
    36966

    From
    Englewood,Ohio
    Retail can be hell. Much depends on the mentality of those slightly above who should never be in Management.

    For those who are in tough circumstances it all depends. I enjoy selling and helping people, but I have seen much misery too.

    It would be wonderful if all worked at places like COSTCO and the others who value their Employees, but honestly many types of jobs are miserable. Manufacturing is not fun. Health care, Office work, Corporate,all have their bad sides management sets the tone.

  9. #9
    MeBelle Fan Boi knight's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    8,898
    Thanks
    8182

    From
    Galaxy ZRF
    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    Is what the OP says true?
    Yes, and I can, and will, add much more to it later.
    Thanks from MaryAnne and Babba

  10. #10
    Bad Policy Good Politics DebateDrone's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    37,818
    Thanks
    32908

    From
    Border Fence
    Quote Originally Posted by knight View Post
    I could write a book on this subject, because I work at Walmart.........until something better comes along. Anyone have any questions, ask me.
    It seems to me that the managers are not all that much higher on the totem pole than the workers. I don't know if it's luck of the draw or the loser of a game of enny minny miny moe.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food To Its Needy Employees
    By michaelr in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 124
    Last Post: 19th December 2013, 05:27 PM
  2. Wal-Mart Workers' Black Friday Strike
    By meridian5455 in forum Economics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16th November 2012, 12:34 PM
  3. South Afrikan news: Municipal managers held hostage.
    By katiegrrl0 in forum World Politics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 15th March 2010, 12:07 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29th May 2007, 10:00 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed