Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34
Thanks Tree14Thanks

Thread: Crude train derails, state of emergency declared

  1. #1
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    47,151
    Thanks
    29147

    From
    New Hampshire

    Crude train derails, state of emergency declared

    A crude train running from North Dakota, derailed in West Virginia exploding and is too hot for firefighters to even get close.

    "Even for West Virginia, a state that has suffered more than its fair share of industrial disasters, the images from a train crash Monday are apocalyptic: many cars derailed, fires so fierce firefighters are simply waiting for them to burn out, 300-foot fireballs. "It was like an atomic bomb went off," one resident told the Associated Press."

    "Residents have been evacuated from the area, the West Virginia National Guard is testing a tributary Kanawha River to see if crude has seeped into it, and two water-treatment plants shut down Monday, depriving residents of running water, to avoid contamination."

    "The wreck is the latest in a steady stream of scary crashes involving crude oil across North America. By far the worst was in Lac-Megántic, Quebec, in 2013, when 47 people were killed. In December 2013, there was a huge derailment in Casselton, North Dakota. (A second oil train derailed nearby months later, but it was empty.) Last April, 15 cars derailed and caught fire in Lynchburg, Virginia."

    "One reason for the increase in accidents is the enormous growth in train hauling of oil, in turn driven by expanded oil production in the western United States. Trains also haul crude oil from western Canada, including from the tar sands that would be served by the Keystone XL pipeline if it is built."

    "Almost a year after the federal government moved to tighten the standards, crashes don't seem to be stopping. Nor are the cars that have been widely viewed as a panacea as effective as regulators or the industry apparently hoped. And despite dropping oil prices, it's unlikely that production will stop anytime soon in the Bakken or Alberta; as long as the nation and the world runs on fossil fuels, crude oil will have to move across the continent and through towns and cities."


    West Virginia Crude-Oil Train Derailment Catches Fire - The Atlantic
    Thanks from B04 and Madeline

  2. #2
    Veteran Member Southern Dad's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    38,349
    Thanks
    7835

    From
    Shady Dale, Georgia
    It's one of the things that those that oppose the Keystone XL just don't understand, that oil is coming here, either way. It already comes by pipeline, rail, truck and barge.
    Thanks from bajisima and Madeline

  3. #3
    B04
    B04 is offline
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    15,199
    Thanks
    6274

    From
    gone
    Pipelines don't crash. Food for thought.
    Thanks from bajisima, meridian5455 and Madeline

  4. #4
    Veteran Member MaryAnne's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    51,619
    Thanks
    37017

    From
    Englewood,Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    A crude train running from North Dakota, derailed in West Virginia exploding and is too hot for firefighters to even get close.

    "Even for West Virginia, a state that has suffered more than its fair share of industrial disasters, the images from a train crash Monday are apocalyptic: many cars derailed, fires so fierce firefighters are simply waiting for them to burn out, 300-foot fireballs. "It was like an atomic bomb went off," one resident told the Associated Press."

    "Residents have been evacuated from the area, the West Virginia National Guard is testing a tributary Kanawha River to see if crude has seeped into it, and two water-treatment plants shut down Monday, depriving residents of running water, to avoid contamination."

    "The wreck is the latest in a steady stream of scary crashes involving crude oil across North America. By far the worst was in Lac-Megántic, Quebec, in 2013, when 47 people were killed. In December 2013, there was a huge derailment in Casselton, North Dakota. (A second oil train derailed nearby months later, but it was empty.) Last April, 15 cars derailed and caught fire in Lynchburg, Virginia."

    "One reason for the increase in accidents is the enormous growth in train hauling of oil, in turn driven by expanded oil production in the western United States. Trains also haul crude oil from western Canada, including from the tar sands that would be served by the Keystone XL pipeline if it is built."

    "Almost a year after the federal government moved to tighten the standards, crashes don't seem to be stopping. Nor are the cars that have been widely viewed as a panacea as effective as regulators or the industry apparently hoped. And despite dropping oil prices, it's unlikely that production will stop anytime soon in the Bakken or Alberta; as long as the nation and the world runs on fossil fuels, crude oil will have to move across the continent and through towns and cities."


    West Virginia Crude-Oil Train Derailment Catches Fire - The Atlantic
    The dirty oil they are hauling is much more unstable. One car after another blew up in the West Virginia crash,going right into the river. Their drinking water again.

  5. #5
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    47,151
    Thanks
    29147

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by B04 View Post
    Pipelines don't crash. Food for thought.
    It sure makes one take a second look. I saw the remnants of the one up in Lac Megantic in Quebec and there was nothing left of the town. It looked like an atomic bomb.

  6. #6
    Shut up and vote Addiction Solitaire Champion, Double Deuce Champion, Queen Jewels Champion, Ray Ray Shuffle Champion, Twins Champion, Blow Up: Arcade Champion, Bunch - Time Trial Champion, Znax Champion, Zoo Keeper Champion, Sobics School Champion, Swap a Smiley Champion, Makos Champion, Dino Drop Champion, Flower Frenzy Champion, Some Puzzle Champion, Funny Bubbles Champion, CubeZ Champion, Dinky Smash Champion, Fun Fun Animals Champion, Fruit Fabriek Champion, Raft Wars Champion, Rainbow Monkey RunDown Champion, Raft Wars Champion, Crime Puzzle Champion Blueneck's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    50,151
    Thanks
    28569

    From
    Ohio
    So, if the Keystone pipeline were built, this oil would have gone to West Virginia through the pipeline? I thought the pipeline was supposed to run from Canada to the Gulf, I am surprised to hear it will run sideways too.

    Thanks from Friday13 and HenryPorter

  7. #7
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    47,151
    Thanks
    29147

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueneck View Post
    So, if the Keystone pipeline were built, this oil would have gone to West Virginia through the pipeline? I thought the pipeline was supposed to run from Canada to the Gulf, I am surprised to hear it will run sideways too.


    Well there are plans for other pipelines throughout the US if the Keystone is approved. We are getting one for natural gas up here and they are tearing up entire towns to build it underneath. Like they said above, its coming whether we like it or not. We must improve safety as most rail lines go right through towns.

  8. #8
    B04
    B04 is offline
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    15,199
    Thanks
    6274

    From
    gone
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueneck View Post
    So, if the Keystone pipeline were built, this oil would have gone to West Virginia through the pipeline? I thought the pipeline was supposed to run from Canada to the Gulf, I am surprised to hear it will run sideways too.

    No one said that. Personally, my comment was made as a comparison of the safety between rail and pipeline. Pipelines don't derail and explode.

  9. #9
    B04
    B04 is offline
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    15,199
    Thanks
    6274

    From
    gone
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnne View Post
    The dirty oil they are hauling is much more unstable. One car after another blew up in the West Virginia crash,going right into the river. Their drinking water again.
    link???

  10. #10
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    47,151
    Thanks
    29147

    From
    New Hampshire
    Here are the proposed pipelines in the US, only Keystone is getting any attention. @Blueneck

    North American Pipeline Proposals
    Thanks from Blueneck

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 30th January 2015, 10:30 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10th July 2014, 06:51 PM
  3. State of emergency declared in Ohio
    By Blueneck in forum Current Events
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 1st June 2011, 02:45 PM
  4. State of Emergency
    By Morgan in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 8th October 2010, 10:04 AM
  5. States of emergency declared across Europe over gas
    By michaelr in forum World Politics
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10th January 2009, 02:52 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed