Members banned from this thread: Davocrat, Rorschach and LT Greenbean


Page 76 of 144 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886126 ... LastLast
Results 751 to 760 of 1432
Thanks Tree605Thanks

Thread: Robert E. Lee Day

  1. #751
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    26,656
    Thanks
    4492

    From
    North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly5 View Post
    Sherman was a hero, Lee was a traitor, easy as that. BTW, your not Southern so don't pretend to comment on how we feel.
    Sherman was a skillful general. But I would not consider him a hero.

    He purposely made war on civilians and was quite ruthless. As an example; when some of his men got blown up by mines he took confederate prisoners and had them march in front so they would get blown up instead of his own men. lol

    He also allowed his men to pillage and rape - especially slave women. He was an unapologetic racist and saw nothing wrong with slavery. And when freed slaves tried to follow his army to safety he said "Damn the ______! I wish they were anywhere but here and could be kept at work.” And when they came across a river he sent his cavalry after the freed slaves long enough for his army to burn the bridge and leave them on the other side to die.

    So you might want to read a little more about Sherman. He was a real piece of work - and not all of it in a good way.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 12th January 2018 at 07:12 PM.
    Thanks from Puzzling Evidence

  2. #752
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    26,656
    Thanks
    4492

    From
    North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Of course Lee was a brilliant General and a leader of men.
    So was Erwin Rommel.
    BOTH men were STILL enemies of the United States.
    Then you are making my point for me. My dispute with Tedimantor was over whether or not Lee was a brilliant General - of which you just confirmed. Odd he should thank your post considering you are agreeing with my point or view - yet he disagrees with me when I say he was a brilliant general.... go figure.

    Also: an interesting fact - Lee never called the Union armies his enemies. And he did much to foster peace between the two sides once the war was over. So I think it's fair to say Lee never considered the United States his enemy. He simply remained loyal to his State and saw it as his duty to fight for its independence.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 12th January 2018 at 07:13 PM.
    Thanks from Puzzling Evidence

  3. #753
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    26,656
    Thanks
    4492

    From
    North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by BitterPill View Post
    Lee made some big mistakes that arguably cost the South the war. Hell, Meade bested him at Gettysburg, and Meade was no great military commander. I will admit that Lee was adored by his troops, but so was McClellan, and McClellan sucked.
    To say Lee cost the south the war is preposterous. He routed armies nearly twice his size on frequent occasion - and was the only reason the Army of Northern Virginia (and Richmond) lasted as long as it did.

    McClellan did not suck either. He was a very able strategist and was one of the few commanders the Union had that could go toe to toe with Lee and not get routed in the process. He was just too cautions and arrogant for his own good.

    Lee himself considered McClellan his most formidable foe.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 12th January 2018 at 07:38 PM.
    Thanks from Puzzling Evidence

  4. #754
    Veteran Member Moorhuhn Wanted Champion Hollywood's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    68,389
    Thanks
    32854

    From
    Memphis, Tn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzling Evidence View Post
    Texas was not a part of the old South.
    That would all depend on how you wish to define the "Old South."

  5. #755
    Veteran Member Moorhuhn Wanted Champion Hollywood's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    68,389
    Thanks
    32854

    From
    Memphis, Tn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    By that logic America was founded by treasonous bastards since the colonists declared their independence from Great Britain.

    So I guess George Washington was a treasonous bastard as well. Maybe we should stop celebrating his birthday also. Oh - he also had slaves - and a lot more than Lee ever had.
    You're ONLY a treasonous bastard if you LOSE.
    Do you know nothing of history?

  6. #756
    Veteran Member Moorhuhn Wanted Champion Hollywood's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    68,389
    Thanks
    32854

    From
    Memphis, Tn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Then you are making my point for me. My dispute with Tedimantor was over whether or not Lee was a brilliant General - of which you just confirmed. Odd he should thank your post considering you are agreeing with my point or view - yet he disagrees with me when I say he was a brilliant general.... go figure.

    Also: an interesting fact - Lee never called the Union armies his enemies. And he did much to foster peace between the two sides once the war was over. So I think it's fair to say Lee never considered the United States his enemy. He simply remained loyal to his State and saw it as his duty to fight for its independence.
    I couldn't care less who might think my statement makes a given point for them.
    My statement was clearly historical accurate. Make of it anything you like.
    Nor do I have much interest in what you might think odd.
    Like children, you people make everything personal.

    Yes, I know. Lee, when referring to Union troops or the Union in general never used insulting or derogatory or insulting terms but almost always referred to them as "those people." For more about Lee I highly recommend the book "April 1865: The Month That Saved America."

  7. #757
    spɹɐʍʞɔɐq ʞɹɐp ǝɥʇ Puzzling Evidence's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    20,495
    Thanks
    8676

    From
    Away from sharp objects>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    That would all depend on how you wish to define the "Old South."
    Correct and I don't have all day for that. By 1863 any advantage gained by having Texas join was negated by the Union controlling the Mississippi.

  8. #758
    spɹɐʍʞɔɐq ʞɹɐp ǝɥʇ Puzzling Evidence's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    20,495
    Thanks
    8676

    From
    Away from sharp objects>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    I couldn't care less who might think my statement makes a given point for them.
    My statement was clearly historical accurate. Make of it anything you like.
    Nor do I have much interest in what you might think odd.
    Like children, you people make everything personal.

    Yes, I know. Lee, when referring to Union troops or the Union in general never used insulting or derogatory or insulting terms but almost always referred to them as "those people." For more about Lee I highly recommend the book "April 1865: The Month That Saved America."
    Wow! I'm a "you people!" ;-)

  9. #759
    spɹɐʍʞɔɐq ʞɹɐp ǝɥʇ Puzzling Evidence's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    20,495
    Thanks
    8676

    From
    Away from sharp objects>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    You're ONLY a treasonous bastard if you LOSE.
    Do you know nothing of history?
    Washington owned slaves as well. He often dealt with them in a very daft and cruel manner. I remember old George selling a runaway slave to a friend who wanted to work him to death in the heat of the west Indies and he quite gleefully asked for frivelouse crap like burbon, cigars and other nonesense. Father of our country -- horribly bigoted slave master.

  10. #760
    Veteran Member Moorhuhn Wanted Champion Hollywood's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    68,389
    Thanks
    32854

    From
    Memphis, Tn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzling Evidence View Post
    Correct and I don't have all day for that. By 1863 any advantage gained by having Texas join was negated by the Union controlling the Mississippi.
    Of course. Once Vicksburg fell the CSA was cut off from any allies west of the Mississippi river. All part of Lincoln's "Anaconda" strategy.

Similar Threads

  1. Robert Budd Dwyer
    By knight in forum Political Controversies
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 27th November 2014, 03:20 PM
  2. Ron Paul's son Robert considering a congressional run
    By michaelr in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 18th April 2011, 10:18 PM
  3. Robert Gibbs Stepping Down
    By Midwest Media Critic in forum Current Events
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 6th January 2011, 08:24 PM
  4. Robert S. McNamara: Dead
    By Sparta in forum Current Events
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 6th July 2009, 11:14 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed