Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
Thanks Tree18Thanks

Thread: I ran Iraq in 2003! (Paul Bremer) "WASHINGTON" didn't prepare for the aftermath...

  1. #1
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    29,008
    Thanks
    20788

    From
    Florida

    I ran Iraq in 2003! (Paul Bremer) "WASHINGTON" didn't prepare for the aftermath...

    So we haven't heard his name come up in a while, huh?? This was SUPPOSEDLY the guy who disbanded the Iraqi Army along with other dire and tragic decisions (Bush and Cheney had 'nothing' to do with it, you believe that don't you) making chaos inevitable. Guess he agrees with what the CHILICOT INQUIRY report has to say as if he is 'far far removed' from any actions. NOW he decides that post-war planning was inadequate? Like he was some 'disembodied' actor in some tragic play? Alert the media.

    I ran Iraq in 2003. Washington hadn't prepared for the aftermath of war

    Paul Bremer

    The report is correct about the lack of post-invasion planning. But I still believe it was right to topple Saddam Hussein – the alternatives were worse

    Wednesday 6 July 2016 13.45 EDTLast modified on Thursday 7 July 201605.56 EDT


    The American diplomat tasked with leading the occupation of Iraq in 2003 has backed several key criticisms made by Britain’s Chilcot inquiry despite a defiant response to its report from former president George W Bush and other Republicans.

    Writing in the Guardian, Paul Bremer – who administered the coalition provisional authority (CPA) in the months after the war – agreed that prewar planning by both US and UK governments was “inadequate” and accused political leaders of ignoring internal warnings.

    “The [Chilcot] commission noted that that ‘bad tidings’ tended not to be heard in London,” he said. “The same was true in Washington. Before the war, a few American military officers suggested the need for a substantial post-conflict military presence. They were not heard.”
    Bremer also sharply criticised the failure of western forces to prevent looting inIraq after the invasion and unrealistic troop commitments made by political leaders in Washington and London.

    “As David Richmond, one of the able British CPA colleagues, told the commission, the coalition ‘never got on top of security’,” he added. “So the coalition gave the impression to Iraqis that we were not serious in this most important goal of any government. No doubt this failure encouraged some members of what became the resistance.”



    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/06/paul-bremer-diplomat-iraq-occupation

  2. #2
    Veteran Member PACE's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    24,579
    Thanks
    20685

    From
    None of your business
    Quote Originally Posted by cpicturetaker12 View Post
    So we haven't heard his name come up in a while, huh?? This was SUPPOSEDLY the guy who disbanded the Iraqi Army along with other dire and tragic decisions (Bush and Cheney had 'nothing' to do with it, you believe that don't you) making chaos inevitable. Guess he agrees with what the CHILICOT INQUIRY report has to say as if he is 'far far removed' from any actions. NOW he decides that post-war planning was inadequate? Like he was some 'disembodied' actor in some tragic play? Alert the media.

    I ran Iraq in 2003. Washington hadn't prepared for the aftermath of war

    Paul Bremer

    The report is correct about the lack of post-invasion planning. But I still believe it was right to topple Saddam Hussein – the alternatives were worse

    Wednesday 6 July 2016 13.45 EDTLast modified on Thursday 7 July 201605.56 EDT


    The American diplomat tasked with leading the occupation of Iraq in 2003 has backed several key criticisms made by Britain’s Chilcot inquiry despite a defiant response to its report from former president George W Bush and other Republicans.

    Writing in the Guardian, Paul Bremer – who administered the coalition provisional authority (CPA) in the months after the war – agreed that prewar planning by both US and UK governments was “inadequate” and accused political leaders of ignoring internal warnings.

    “The [Chilcot] commission noted that that ‘bad tidings’ tended not to be heard in London,” he said. “The same was true in Washington. Before the war, a few American military officers suggested the need for a substantial post-conflict military presence. They were not heard.”
    Bremer also sharply criticised the failure of western forces to prevent looting inIraq after the invasion and unrealistic troop commitments made by political leaders in Washington and London.

    “As David Richmond, one of the able British CPA colleagues, told the commission, the coalition ‘never got on top of security’,” he added. “So the coalition gave the impression to Iraqis that we were not serious in this most important goal of any government. No doubt this failure encouraged some members of what became the resistance.”



    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/06/paul-bremer-diplomat-iraq-occupation
    That little bastard shut down the airwaves in Sadr City which gave rise to Al-Sadr; the inflammatory cleric; if that idiot had left well enough alone, the older clerics would have crushed Al-Sadr, but no, the US has to pull a "Soviet Union" moment and shut down the airwaves.

    Jumping Jesus Chrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrist!!! What the fuck happened that this country shaved off it's gonads????? Even Toyko Rose was broadcasted to the troops; it made NO DIFFERENCE to them.

    And now Bremer is going to put ALL the BLAME on Washington??? when he hired a 24 year old RIGHT OUT OF college to manage the Iraq stock market? and brought in Dan Senor, one of the most INCOMPETENT administrators ever to crawl and trip on this Good Green Earth????

    He's got a lot of nerve!! seriously, I don't give a rat's ass about his CYA journal in the Guardian; he's one of the main reasons why we had such a dismal perception in Iraq!, we sent the most incompetent people we could find...

    Regards
    Pace
    Thanks from Dangermouse, Babba, labrea and 2 others

  3. #3
    Veteran Member Dangermouse's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    25,261
    Thanks
    24472

    From
    Sunny Bournemouth, Dorset
    Read it and weep.

    " From inside a surreal bubble of pure Americana known as the Green Zone, the US-led Coalition Provisional Authority attempted to rule Iraq following the fall of Saddam Hussein's regime. Drawing on interviews and internal documents, Rajiv Chandrasekaran tells the memorable story of this ill-prepared attempt to build American democracy in a war-torn Middle Eastern country, detailing not only the risky disbanding of the Iraqi army and the ludicrous attempt to train the new police force, but absurdities such as the aide who based Baghdad's new traffic laws on those of the state of Maryland, downloaded from the net, and the twenty-four-year-old who had never worked in finance put in charge of revitalising Baghdad's stock exchange. Imperial Life in the Emerald City is American reportage at its best. "

    - See more at: http://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/imperia....QVvcqnFo.dpuf
    Thanks from Babba, labrea and Hollywood

  4. #4
    Veteran Member PACE's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    24,579
    Thanks
    20685

    From
    None of your business
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Read it and weep.

    " From inside a surreal bubble of pure Americana known as the Green Zone, the US-led Coalition Provisional Authority attempted to rule Iraq following the fall of Saddam Hussein's regime. Drawing on interviews and internal documents, Rajiv Chandrasekaran tells the memorable story of this ill-prepared attempt to build American democracy in a war-torn Middle Eastern country, detailing not only the risky disbanding of the Iraqi army and the ludicrous attempt to train the new police force, but absurdities such as the aide who based Baghdad's new traffic laws on those of the state of Maryland, downloaded from the net, and the twenty-four-year-old who had never worked in finance put in charge of revitalising Baghdad's stock exchange. Imperial Life in the Emerald City is American reportage at its best. "

    - See more at: http://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/imperia....QVvcqnFo.dpuf
    TWENTY - FOUR - FUCKING - YEARS - OLD, with no experience.....

    What in the hell did we expect?????

  5. #5
    Member tnbskts's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,497
    Thanks
    4577

    From
    British expat in USA
    Quote Originally Posted by cpicturetaker12 View Post
    So we haven't heard his name come up in a while, huh?? This was SUPPOSEDLY the guy who disbanded the Iraqi Army along with other dire and tragic decisions (Bush and Cheney had 'nothing' to do with it, you believe that don't you) making chaos inevitable. Guess he agrees with what the CHILICOT INQUIRY report has to say as if he is 'far far removed' from any actions. NOW he decides that post-war planning was inadequate? Like he was some 'disembodied' actor in some tragic play? Alert the media.

    I ran Iraq in 2003. Washington hadn't prepared for the aftermath of war

    Paul Bremer

    The report is correct about the lack of post-invasion planning. But I still believe it was right to topple Saddam Hussein – the alternatives were worse

    Wednesday 6 July 2016 13.45 EDTLast modified on Thursday 7 July 201605.56 EDT


    The American diplomat tasked with leading the occupation of Iraq in 2003 has backed several key criticisms made by Britain’s Chilcot inquiry despite a defiant response to its report from former president George W Bush and other Republicans.

    Writing in the Guardian, Paul Bremer – who administered the coalition provisional authority (CPA) in the months after the war – agreed that prewar planning by both US and UK governments was “inadequate” and accused political leaders of ignoring internal warnings.

    “The [Chilcot] commission noted that that ‘bad tidings’ tended not to be heard in London,” he said. “The same was true in Washington. Before the war, a few American military officers suggested the need for a substantial post-conflict military presence. They were not heard.”
    Bremer also sharply criticised the failure of western forces to prevent looting inIraq after the invasion and unrealistic troop commitments made by political leaders in Washington and London.

    “As David Richmond, one of the able British CPA colleagues, told the commission, the coalition ‘never got on top of security’,” he added. “So the coalition gave the impression to Iraqis that we were not serious in this most important goal of any government. No doubt this failure encouraged some members of what became the resistance.”



    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/06/paul-bremer-diplomat-iraq-occupation
    If I remember right from interviews and whatnot around the time he was in Iraq, Paul Bremer was a particularly clueless git. And given the competition, that's really saying something.

    I think we'll be hearing a lot of "yes, a few details were very regrettable but we're better off without Saddam" in the next few weeks.

    Is ISIS really better than Saddam? Really?
    Last edited by tnbskts; 7th July 2016 at 11:52 AM.
    Thanks from Babba

  6. #6
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    29,008
    Thanks
    20788

    From
    Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by PACE View Post
    That little bastard shut down the airwaves in Sadr City which gave rise to Al-Sadr; the inflammatory cleric; if that idiot had left well enough alone, the older clerics would have crushed Al-Sadr, but no, the US has to pull a "Soviet Union" moment and shut down the airwaves.

    Jumping Jesus Chrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrist!!! What the fuck happened that this country shaved off it's gonads????? Even Toyko Rose was broadcasted to the troops; it made NO DIFFERENCE to them.

    And now Bremer is going to put ALL the BLAME on Washington??? when he hired a 24 year old RIGHT OUT OF college to manage the Iraq stock market? and brought in Dan Senor, one of the most INCOMPETENT administrators ever to crawl and trip on this Good Green Earth????

    He's got a lot of nerve!! seriously, I don't give a rat's ass about his CYA journal in the Guardian; he's one of the main reasons why we had such a dismal perception in Iraq!, we sent the most incompetent people we could find...

    Regards
    Pace
    He sure as FUCK is gonna try!

  7. #7
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    29,008
    Thanks
    20788

    From
    Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by tnbskts View Post
    If I remember right from interviews and whatnot around the time he was in Iraq, Paul Bremer was a particularly clueless git. And given the competition, that's really saying something.

    I think we'll be hearing a lot of "yes, a few details were very regrettable but we're better off without Saddam" in the next few weeks.

    Is ISIS really better than Saddam? Really?
    I think the (min) of 1,000,000 widows and corresponding amounts of kids with no daddies might beg the differ!

  8. #8
    Member tnbskts's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,497
    Thanks
    4577

    From
    British expat in USA
    Quote Originally Posted by PACE View Post
    TWENTY - FOUR - FUCKING - YEARS - OLD, with no experience.....

    What in the hell did we expect?????
    I think, from what was being said at the time, that people's credentials as "loyal Bushies" were more important than actually knowing stuff. If Tony Bloody Blair could have done ONE THING to actually help, it would have been to keep the US Administration's feet to the flame about what was going to happen AFTER "Mission Accomplished." Really, "we'll be greeted as liberators" wasn't going to keep the electricity on and the water running. And if people's lives weren't any better after the invasion, the liberators weren't going to be treated as liberators for very long.

    They were sending people out there to run things who didn't know that Al Qaeda was a Sunni organisation. They knew enough about that part of the world to know that Iranians were Shi'ites, that Iranians were bad guys, that Al Qaeda were bad guys, and that therefore Al Qaeda must have been a Shia organisation. And then dismantling the army without an apparent thought for what all those people would do with their expertise in killing, with their ethnic rivalries, with their lack of income, and with their "liberators" fast turning into indifferent and ignorant oppressors and supporting a new and "improved" national leadership whose interest was almost entirely self-centred (thinking of you, Ahmed Chalabi) - it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that that's a recipe for disaster.

    No wonder the whole bloody mess went pear-shaped. But, well, to quote one of the architects, "stuff happens..."

    Honestly, people should be in jail for this.
    Last edited by tnbskts; 7th July 2016 at 12:35 PM.
    Thanks from labrea and Dangermouse

  9. #9
    Veteran Member Dangermouse's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    25,261
    Thanks
    24472

    From
    Sunny Bournemouth, Dorset
    Quote Originally Posted by PACE View Post
    TWENTY - FOUR - FUCKING - YEARS - OLD, with no experience.....

    What in the hell did we expect?????
    That was the norm, picked for their neo-con loyalty. One such neophyte replaced an experienced adminstrative social worker on the task of rebuilding Iraq's healthcare system (American style)

    (guess who read the book?)
    Last edited by Dangermouse; 7th July 2016 at 01:17 PM.

  10. #10
    Veteran Member PACE's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    24,579
    Thanks
    20685

    From
    None of your business
    Quote Originally Posted by tnbskts View Post
    I think, from what was being said at the time, that people's credentials as "loyal Bushies" were more important than actually knowing stuff. If Tony Bloody Blair could have done ONE THING to actually help, it would have been to keep the US Administration's feet to the flame about what was going to happen AFTER "Mission Accomplished." Really, "we'll be greeted as liberators" wasn't going to keep the electricity on and the water running. And if people's lives weren't any better after the invasion, the liberators weren't going to be treated as liberators for very long.

    They were sending people out there to run things who didn't know that Al Qaeda was a Sunni organisation. They knew enough about that part of the world to know that Iranians were Shi'ites, that Iranians were bad guys, that Al Qaeda were bad guys, and that therefore Al Qaeda must have been a Shia organisation. And then dismantling the army without an apparent thought for what all those people would do with their expertise in killing, with their ethnic rivalries, with their lack of income, and with their "liberators" fast turning into indifferent and ignorant oppressors and supporting a new and "improved" national leadership whose interest was almost entirely self-centred (thinking of you, Ahmed Chalabi) - it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that that's a recipe for disaster.

    No wonder the whole bloody mess went pear-shaped. But, well, to quote one of the architects, "stuff happens..."

    Honestly, people should be in jail for this.
    Dan Senor worked on the Bush Campaign, the little shit is now a big deal on Wall Street
    Ted Cruz worked on the Bush Campaign, the little shit is a Senator from Texas
    Kathleen Harris? scrubbed voter rolls in Florida, she got a Congressional seat for it, and she shouldn't be serving shakes at IHOP

    I could go on and on,,,, Mike Brown, the head of FEMA, a race horse broker, a BUSH "Ranger" because he raised over 100K for Bush's campaign,,, let people die in NOLA...

    And as the little bastard from Texas said "You're doing a heck of a job Brownie"...

    Now Bremer? he's the kind of Washington Pol I hate the most; he is a chameleon on plaid, whether Democrat or Republican, he ALWAYS found the right ass to kiss.

    Remember, during Katrina, they had to call in Bill Clinton's head of FEMA to take over, because Brown was "fraidy scared".

    The one thing I hate about Washington is this; they are like incestuous cockroaches, including the Tea Baggers; they are so far up each other's asses, if one of them opens their mouth,,, you see the face of another pol.

    Regards
    Pace

    PS, If it were up to me, Cheney, Bush, Rice, Rumsfeld, Feith, Perle, Wolfowitz, and Powell, would be in leg irons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Lurch Kerry to Grads: Prepare for "borderless world".
    By Goofball in forum Current Events
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 11th May 2016, 06:05 PM
  2. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 9th July 2015, 08:37 AM
  3. Obama: "You didn't build that" Romney: "Hey, I agree"
    By NiteGuy in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 23rd July 2012, 05:15 AM
  4. The man didn't inherit the "swagger" and the "bragger" from Bush.
    By Liberal Doses in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 100
    Last Post: 14th December 2011, 04:07 PM
  5. Washington "Misled" Blair Over Plans for Postwar Iraq
    By michaelr in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 15th September 2007, 05:08 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed