Page 1 of 138 1231151101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 1380
Thanks Tree365Thanks

Thread: Islam-pushing prof gets FFRF attention

  1. #1
    Veteran Member aboutenough's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    51,616
    Thanks
    2792

    From
    Washington state

    Islam-pushing prof gets FFRF attention

    Professor Daoud Nassimi’s “Introduction to Islam” course crosses the line from objective religious teaching to proselytization, said a recent complaint letter from FFRF to Northern Virginia Community College in Annandale.
    “[T]his class has been used to proselytize students and advance belief in the existence of a god in an attempt to prove religious belief correct,” wrote Staff Attorney Patrick Elliott and Legal Fellow Katherine Paige.
    An audio recording and PowerPoint slides from a lecture show that Nassimi’s class is “a one-sided monologue by a government-paid employee whose agenda is to show the truth of religion—namely, the existence of a god.”
    Nassimi also has belittled atheists and other nonbelievers. When one student expressed concern on the class website, Nassimi responded, “The reality is that science does not offer any support for the claims of those who deny God, but they are using science as a cover to hide their agenda. Please note that this course is ‘Introduction to Islam.’ So, I will be offering Islam’s position and views all along the semester, whether anyone likes it or not.”
    In one lecture, he called people who deny God’s existence “worse than animals,” because they have human intelligence and still “[go] so low and wild to deny the source of their own existence.”
    “The primary legal issue with this class is Prof. Nassimi’s active promotion of his personal religious views. This is not a question of Prof. Nassimi’s free speech—Prof. Nassimi is abusing his government position,” wrote FFRF. “Given his inability to separate his teaching duties from his religious sensibilities, we fail to see how he can conduct a collegiate course on Islam or religion.”https://ffrf.org/publications/freeth...ffrf-attention

    Here is the Islamic professor warned by the FFRF about teaching his religion in his class. He even attacked Atheist and said they are worse then animals. Whats you opinion on this? Should he stay or go?

  2. #2
    Bizarroland Observer Thx1138's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    21,236
    Thanks
    12436

    From
    aMEEErica
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    Professor Daoud Nassimi’s “Introduction to Islam” course crosses the line from objective religious teaching to proselytization, said a recent complaint letter from FFRF to Northern Virginia Community College in Annandale.
    “[T]his class has been used to proselytize students and advance belief in the existence of a god in an attempt to prove religious belief correct,” wrote Staff Attorney Patrick Elliott and Legal Fellow Katherine Paige.
    An audio recording and PowerPoint slides from a lecture show that Nassimi’s class is “a one-sided monologue by a government-paid employee whose agenda is to show the truth of religion—namely, the existence of a god.”
    Nassimi also has belittled atheists and other nonbelievers. When one student expressed concern on the class website, Nassimi responded, “The reality is that science does not offer any support for the claims of those who deny God, but they are using science as a cover to hide their agenda. Please note that this course is ‘Introduction to Islam.’ So, I will be offering Islam’s position and views all along the semester, whether anyone likes it or not.”
    In one lecture, he called people who deny God’s existence “worse than animals,” because they have human intelligence and still “[go] so low and wild to deny the source of their own existence.”
    “The primary legal issue with this class is Prof. Nassimi’s active promotion of his personal religious views. This is not a question of Prof. Nassimi’s free speech—Prof. Nassimi is abusing his government position,” wrote FFRF. “Given his inability to separate his teaching duties from his religious sensibilities, we fail to see how he can conduct a collegiate course on Islam or religion.”https://ffrf.org/publications/freeth...ffrf-attention

    Here is the Islamic professor warned by the FFRF about teaching his religion in his class. He even attacked Atheist and said they are worse then animals. Whats you opinion on this? Should he stay or go?
    Sounds like another religious nut.

    Thx

  3. #3
    Veteran Member Micro Machines Champion, Race Against Time Champion Tedminator's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    22,770
    Thanks
    12660

    From
    South Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Thx1138 View Post
    Sounds like another religious nut.

    Thx
    indeed. he needs to go.

  4. #4
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    6,593
    Thanks
    5390

    From
    Chicago
    See you later, wacko.
    Thanks from cable2

  5. #5
    Council Member Djinn's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    42,241
    Thanks
    26924

    From
    Pennsylvania, USA
    You can't use a public-school classroom to promote personal religious views. It's not surprising the FFRF addressed this - back in 2014.
    Last edited by Djinn; 6th September 2016 at 10:51 AM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member zitiboy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    10,624
    Thanks
    2137

    From
    In a better place than u
    He is very well liked and respected by his students.
    Daoud Nassimi at Northern Virginia Community College (all campuses) - RateMyProfessors.com
    They say he doesn't take sides.
    " Dr. Nassimi is one of the great professors in NOVA. He really wants you to learn. If you want to know about Islam, take REL 233 with him. You won't regret it."

    I took world religions in college, it was fun and fascinating.

    As far as expressing a belief in a God, that's non-denominational, and permitted...but....
    " The letter concluded by asking NOVA to thoroughly investigate the class and, if the allegations are confirmed, to remove Nassimi from teaching the class."

    I'm cool with nova investigating whether he was proselytizing. He can't push Islam, just teach about it from an acedemic perspective.
    Thanks from KnotaFrayed

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    10,165
    Thanks
    2650

    From
    California
    Quote Originally Posted by zitiboy View Post
    He is very well liked and respected by his students.
    Daoud Nassimi at Northern Virginia Community College (all campuses) - RateMyProfessors.com
    They say he doesn't take sides.
    " Dr. Nassimi is one of the great professors in NOVA. He really wants you to learn. If you want to know about Islam, take REL 233 with him. You won't regret it."

    I took world religions in college, it was fun and fascinating.

    As far as expressing a belief in a God, that's non-denominational, and permitted...but....
    " The letter concluded by asking NOVA to thoroughly investigate the class and, if the allegations are confirmed, to remove Nassimi from teaching the class."

    I'm cool with nova investigating whether he was proselytizing. He can't push Islam, just teach about it from an acedemic perspective.
    Mr. Zitiboy,

    Exactly to a liberal, Christian religious people are nuts and are bad, but Muslim religious nuts are good.

  8. #8
    Council Member Djinn's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    42,241
    Thanks
    26924

    From
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallie Knoetze View Post
    Mr. Zitiboy, Exactly to a liberal, Christian religious people are nuts and are bad, but Muslim religious nuts are good.
    I'm a liberal. Why not quote my post instead?
    Thanks from cable2 and MaryAnne

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    10,165
    Thanks
    2650

    From
    California
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinn View Post
    I'm a liberal. Why not quote my post instead?
    Mr. Djinn,

    Because you're one of the few rational liberals....

  10. #10
    Anarquistador StanStill's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    9,233
    Thanks
    9143

    From
    Home
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinn View Post
    I'm a liberal. Why not quote my post instead?
    Or one that illustrates his idiotic point? Maybe because it would take too long to find one?

Page 1 of 138 1231151101 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. FFRF Takes on Orthodox Jews
    By Djinn in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: 1st August 2016, 05:38 PM
  2. FFRF, In God We Trust, and an Ethical Question
    By Djinn in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13th April 2016, 10:15 AM
  3. BREAKING NEWS- FFRF file suit against IRS
    By Loki in forum Civil Rights
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 22nd August 2013, 03:54 PM
  4. Sgt. Crowley throws beer mug at Prof Gates
    By freethinkr in forum Current Events
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 1st August 2009, 11:47 AM
  5. new study (by prof. from my university) on global warming
    By The_Bear in forum World Politics
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 13th December 2007, 04:43 AM

Search tags for this page

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed