Members banned from this thread: Goofball


Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 75
Thanks Tree46Thanks

Thread: Trump to donate hotel profits to U.S. Treasury

  1. #1
    ... MeBelle's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    7,854
    Thanks
    2959

    From
    Sac

    Trump to donate hotel profits to U.S. Treasury

    Are you kidding me??? Whoever heard of such a horrible thing???



    Trump plans to donate hotel profits from foreign government payments to U.S. Treasury

    "Just like with conflicts of interest, he wants to do more than what the Constitution requires. So President-elect Trump has decided, and we are announcing today, that he is going to voluntarily donate all profits from foreign government payments made to his hotels to the United States Treasury. This way it is the American people who will profit."
    Sheri Dillon, Trump tax attorney
    Dillon made the announcement after first saying Trump and his advisors did not believe that paying for a hotel room would fall under the so-called emoluments clause , That provision states: “no person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress , accept of any present, Emolument, Office or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince or foreign state.”


    I have no idea what this may be all about.

  2. #2
    ... MeBelle's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    7,854
    Thanks
    2959

    From
    Sac
    Found a short video



  3. #3
    "Mr. Original". the watchman's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    71,025
    Thanks
    35510

    From
    becoming more and more
    his lawyer seems to think just because she says something it makes it true. She is entitled to her legal opinion. Sure. That's what she gets paid for. I'd imagine handsomely. But, she doesn't have the final word. Obviously, she was hoping that we all just presumed that since she didn't bother to clarify that point.
    Thanks from Hollywood, Friday13 and Babba

  4. #4
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    28,079
    Thanks
    22379

    From
    Behind the Redwood Curtain
    Quote Originally Posted by MeBelle View Post
    Are you kidding me??? Whoever heard of such a horrible thing???

    Trump plans to donate hotel profits from foreign government payments to U.S. Treasury


    I have no idea what this may be all about.
    Considering he claims to be worth billions, and doesn't pay income taxes, I wonder how he will interpret profits.

  5. #5
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    37,093
    Thanks
    8166

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    his lawyer seems to think just because she says something it makes it true. She is entitled to her legal opinion. Sure. That's what she gets paid for. I'd imagine handsomely. But, she doesn't have the final word. Obviously, she was hoping that we all just presumed that since she didn't bother to clarify that point.

    How is it a legal opinion to announce profits will go to the Treasury?

  6. #6
    You'll see what I can do Singularity's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    21,738
    Thanks
    13501

    From
    Kansas
    He's got a plainly binary choice.

    — Liquidate his family's personally held assets and place them in a blind trust OR
    — Violate precedent followed by all of his predecessors, including significant owners of for-profit lands (Carter)

    No other details matter. Either he is going to uphold precedent and tradition, or violate it. Period.

  7. #7
    The Republican Agenda HadEnough2's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    11,953
    Thanks
    8467

    From
    Washington State
    Trump shouldn't hold on to his hotel. There are going to be Lobbyists and Foreign Dignitaries staying at his hotel. It's a conflict of interest. Whether they think they are going to get special treatment or not it just doesn't look good. Whether the profits go to our treasury or not.
    Thanks from Friday13

  8. #8
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    37,093
    Thanks
    8166

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    He's got a plainly binary choice.

    — Liquidate his family's personally held assets and place them in a blind trust OR
    — Violate precedent followed by all of his predecessors, including significant owners of for-profit lands (Carter)

    No other details matter. Either he is going to uphold precedent and tradition, or violate it. Period.
    Yeah, I'm sure Jimmah had no idea his trust was in the peanut business while he was President.

    Wait.....maybe he didn't.

  9. #9
    Chaos in fourteen lines Minotaur's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    16,226
    Thanks
    13014

    From
    USA
    Remember the fit that was thrown by republicans over Hillary being associated with the Clinton Foundation? Now suddenly it is ok? Gee that sounds swell. You've never heard of that because Presidents usually divest and show their taxes. Your crooked President gets a pass on any wrongdoing of course.
    Thanks from Friday13, labrea, Babba and 1 others

  10. #10
    You'll see what I can do Singularity's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    21,738
    Thanks
    13501

    From
    Kansas
    Quote Originally Posted by HadEnough2 View Post
    Trump shouldn't hold on to his hotel. There are going to be Lobbyists and Foreign Dignitaries staying at his hotel. It's a conflict of interest. Whether they think they are going to get special treatment or not it just doesn't look good. Whether the profits go to our treasury or not.
    Under precedent, Trump cannot hold property except for his personal use and that of friends, family and non-paying guests. Any for-profit venture must be divested and not reinvested or used for any sort of business venture, agreement or personally beneficial bargain. It's very clear.

    Any money he is not prepared to have sit in a bank account must be controlled without his input or knowledge of who is making decisions about it and when — a full blind. His sons communicate with him regularly and would be ineligible for this role.

    "Trump is in the right here" = "Precedent on ethical behavior doesn't matter." That is it.
    Thanks from the watchman

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed