Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 146
Thanks Tree49Thanks

Thread: New Jersey passes bill forcing presidential candidates to release tax returns

  1. #11
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    47,031
    Thanks
    28025

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasselas View Post
    I agree that it wouldn't work as a qualification for the presidency. It would work as a national law. But states are allowed to make their own rules about BALLOTS since they run their own elections. There is no such thing as a national election--there are only state elections. And just as states can create qualifications like getting a certain number of signatures, setting deadlines for paperwork, etc., they an set requirements for disclosure.

    It's an interesting question, but if states weren't able to set their own requirements for getting on a ballot, all the other requirements would be challengeable as well--I don't think they are.
    Even this is not quite true. States cannot violate the Voting Rights Act, although it's unclear that this NJ law would do so.

    Even if it does not survive challenge, it's still a valuable aspirational lesson.

  2. #12
    vulgar? Rasselas's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    58,124
    Thanks
    30512

    From
    in my head
    Quote Originally Posted by webrockk View Post
    Tax deductible donations to a religious organization.
    Does making a donation to a religious organization disqualify them for the ballot? That would be a religious test. The fact that history records the religious affiliation of every president suggests that this argument is nonsense.
    Thanks from Dragonfly5

  3. #13
    Veteran Member DebateDrone's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    27,181
    Thanks
    23522

    From
    SWUSA
    If "President" Trump does not like the NJ law, he doesn't have to campaign in NJ.

  4. #14
    vulgar? Rasselas's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    58,124
    Thanks
    30512

    From
    in my head
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    Even this is not quite true. States cannot violate the Voting Rights Act, although it's unclear that this NJ law would do so.
    Does it violate ANY law? If not, what's your actual point?
    Thanks from Friday13

  5. #15
    vulgar? Rasselas's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    58,124
    Thanks
    30512

    From
    in my head
    Quote Originally Posted by DebateDrone View Post
    If "President" Trump does not like the NJ law, he doesn't have to campaign in NJ.
    Exactly.

  6. #16
    Veteran Member DebateDrone's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    27,181
    Thanks
    23522

    From
    SWUSA
    Quote Originally Posted by publius3 View Post
    As applied it could indirectly violate the federal prohibition against there being 'no religious test' because most tax returns, charitable contributions, will tend to reveal the taxpayers religious affiliation by inference which most candidates seem to want to reveal anyway, but which some may not.

    Medical issues, relevant to voters, but clearly subject to privacy, could also be a problem since those can be deducted.

    Agreed upon, non-court ordered, alimony could also be an issue if the parties to the divorce agreed not to dislose the amounts.
    That is a stretch.

  7. #17
    Veteran Member DebateDrone's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    27,181
    Thanks
    23522

    From
    SWUSA
    Quote Originally Posted by webrockk View Post
    Tax deductible donations to a religious organization.
    That is not prohibitive to running so where is the violation of rights?

  8. #18
    vulgar? Rasselas's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    58,124
    Thanks
    30512

    From
    in my head
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    Even if it does not survive challenge, it's still a valuable aspirational lesson.
    "Asparational lessons" that don't work in reality are for people who live in a world of fantasy.

    If you sue me over something you think I've done wrong, but you lose in the courts, all that's happened is that I've proven you're wrong and should fuck off. Challenging things that losing is WORSE than not challenging them. Getting slapped down isn't a win.

  9. #19
    Veteran Member DebateDrone's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    27,181
    Thanks
    23522

    From
    SWUSA
    I've yet to see anyone state what the violation of rights would be?

  10. #20
    Member
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    3,070
    Thanks
    904

    From
    TN
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasselas View Post
    Does making a donation to a religious organization disqualify them for the ballot? That would be a religious test. The fact that history records the religious affiliation of every president suggests that this argument is nonsense.
    Historical voluntary disclosure has no bearing on compulsory statutory disclosure of something extremely likely to reveal somebody's religious affiliation.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12th September 2016, 09:38 AM
  2. When will trump release his tax returns?
    By PACE in forum Current Events
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 23rd August 2016, 02:11 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 13th August 2016, 03:21 PM
  4. Replies: 90
    Last Post: 25th May 2016, 09:13 AM
  5. GOPers: Release Your Tax Returns!
    By Friday13 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 13th February 2016, 01:28 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed