Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 300
Thanks Tree165Thanks

Thread: Sanders: I donít know if Ossoff is a progressive.

  1. #171
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    26,318
    Thanks
    21044

    From
    Behind the Redwood Curtain
    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    If you're a politician who is trying to influence a particular party you'd be taken more seriously if you're actually a member of that party. Suppose you were a member of an organization and some outsider comes along and starts to tell you how you should run your organization? And if they're that brazen, the least they could do is have knowledge of the subject.
    Sounds like the position trump created for his son in law.

    Bernie has been working with the democratic organization for decades, I don't think he's entirely ignorant.

  2. #172
    Veteran Member MaryAnne's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    36,344
    Thanks
    26388

    From
    Englewood,Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by labrea View Post
    Sander's and I are close to the same age, and I'm not ready to be shelved either.
    If you are in Politics,you should be. Much too old and set in our ways to change. I admit it. My long years of watching our middle class be destroyed by Republicans,I am still smart enough to see that Bernie Sanders Socialist views are pie in the sky.ain' gonna happen.

    He is so far left he is off the cliff,as much as Trump is.
    Thanks from the watchman

  3. #173
    Veteran Member MaryAnne's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    36,344
    Thanks
    26388

    From
    Englewood,Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by labrea View Post
    Sounds like the position trump created for his son in law.

    Bernie has been working with the democratic organization for decades, I don't think he's entirely ignorant.
    No,just egotistical. Like Trump.

  4. #174
    Veteran Member MaryAnne's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    36,344
    Thanks
    26388

    From
    Englewood,Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    If you're a politician who is trying to influence a particular party you'd be taken more seriously if you're actually a member of that party. Suppose you were a member of an organization and some outsider comes along and starts to tell you how you should run your organization? And if they're that brazen, the least they could do is have knowledge of the subject.
    Pretend Democrats do not count. Lieberman tried that. Both parties threw him out.

    We will always have groupies.

  5. #175
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    26,318
    Thanks
    21044

    From
    Behind the Redwood Curtain
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnne View Post
    If you are in Politics,you should be. Much too old and set in our ways to change. I admit it. My long years of watching our middle class be destroyed by Republicans,I am still smart enough to see that Bernie Sanders Socialist views are pie in the sky.ain' gonna happen.

    He is so far left he is off the cliff,as much as Trump is.
    And yet there are examples of those policies working well in the real world.

  6. #176
    "Mr. Original". the watchman's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    66,964
    Thanks
    32385

    From
    becoming more and more
    Quote Originally Posted by labrea View Post
    So it's happening behind closed doors, out of sight - yeah, I think a lot of people are sick and tired of that too.

    “There goes my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.” Mahatma Gandhi
    I'll just presume it wasn't your intent to compare Bernie Sanders to Gandhi. Otherwise...no. Sanders is not the leader of the true progressive "political revolution". The true leader is the people themselves. Sanders just happen to be in the right place at the right time. He's a figurehead at best. And his 15 minutes of fame is just about up.
    Thanks from MaryAnne

  7. #177
    Veteran Member MaryAnne's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    36,344
    Thanks
    26388

    From
    Englewood,Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    I'll just presume it wasn't your intent to compare Bernie Sanders to Gandhi. Otherwise...no. Sanders is not the leader of the true progressive "political revolution". The true leader is the people themselves. Sanders just happen to be in the right place at the right time. He's a figurehead at best. And his 15 minutes of fame is just about up.
    Gandhi? Good Lord!

    I once took a Political test that put me close to Gandhi. Bernie is so removed from my beliefs as any one could be!

    And he and his two buddies are hurting my party. I do not care if he has hysterical crowds.

    Getting off here,the day is cool, but nice,work to do.
    Thanks from the watchman

  8. #178
    Cat-tastic Babba's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    61,160
    Thanks
    40905

    From
    So. Md.
    Quote Originally Posted by labrea View Post
    In my humble opinion, framing Sander's position as "socialist utopia" isn't helpful, and supports the perception that the Clinton wing of the Democratic Party is republican light.

    Frankly republican light hasn't been working out for the middle class.
    I think it shows that the Clinton wing is moderately progressive.
    Thanks from the watchman

  9. #179
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    26,318
    Thanks
    21044

    From
    Behind the Redwood Curtain
    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    I'll just presume it wasn't your intent to compare Bernie Sanders to Gandhi. Otherwise...no. Sanders is not the leader of the true progressive "political revolution". The true leader is the people themselves. Sanders just happen to be in the right place at the right time. He's a figurehead at best. And his 15 minutes of fame is just about up.
    No, the Gandhi quote was a comment on the leadership of the Democratic Party that seems to be ignoring "the people themselves".
    Thanks from Amelia

  10. #180
    Anarquistador StanStill's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    7,812
    Thanks
    7605

    From
    Home
    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    If you're a politician who is trying to influence a particular party you'd be taken more seriously if you're actually a member of that party. Suppose you were a member of an organization and some outsider comes along and starts to tell you how you should run your organization? And if they're that brazen, the least they could do is have knowledge of the subject.
    He's taken pretty seriously by the 40% of people who voted for him in the primaries. His platform is the basically FDRs platform, which democrats gave up on a long time ago. So this outsider who has stuck to the platform of the father of the modern democratic party runs for president and gets the support of 40% of the party. Again, it's a platform that most people within the party (the elected ones I mean-the voters don't matter as much) have given up on, if they ever supported it (many people in office were born after it was abandoned, so technically they never abandoned it—they may never have even considered it). Clearly it's not the same party anymore.

    I suppose he could have said "I'm a democrat now", but nothing magical would happen if he did aside from getting a D put after his name in TV interviews. His ability to affect change within the party wouldn't grow at all. The message of his whole campaign (and by extension the message of all of his supporters) was "this is what the democrats should be fighting for". Wouldn't saying "I'm now a democrat" after a lifetime of being an independent be tantamount to saying "Mission accomplished"?

    And bear in mind, we are talking about the party that was behind the scenes undermining his campaign. Had they not done that, he might have joined. He might have even won. I don't know.

Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 28th November 2016, 03:54 PM
  2. Sanders, Clinton 'not on the same page': Jane Sanders
    By goldendog in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11th April 2016, 04:23 AM
  3. Sanders' Hopes Look Dashed, But Sanders-ism Isn't
    By DemoWhip in forum Current Events
    Replies: 134
    Last Post: 2nd April 2016, 04:17 AM
  4. Replies: 37
    Last Post: 12th March 2016, 09:43 AM
  5. Sanders: Let a Real Progressive Challenge Obama
    By Kropotkin in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 31st July 2011, 06:31 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed