Members banned from this thread: Michael J and Blues63


Page 4 of 138 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 1380
Thanks Tree383Thanks

Thread: Victory Belongs to Jesus': Christian Student Gets a Win in LGBT Case

  1. #31
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    44,371
    Thanks
    27222

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    Would it be right to not hire a Social Worker because they were a Christian? Should this also include other religions that believe marriage is between one man and one woman? It could be Muslims and Jews colleges would ban from their Social Worker programs because they believe marriage is between one man and one woman
    Religious beliefs are immaterial. The employer should reject candidates who will not adhere to agency protocols, etc. in performing duties. So, privately, the social worker might believe that children are all undesirable parasites, but if they can relentlessly carry out the duty to protect them at work, they could be suitable.

    The sad part here is, this student has already tried to inject his anti-gay beliefs into his school work, to the point of litigating them. This is not a harbinger of happy days to come as a social worker.
    Thanks from Leo2 and Ian Jeffrey

  2. #32
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    44,371
    Thanks
    27222

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    No, religious people cannot ban same sex people from marrying unless its in their churches.
    True, but why would they need to control the marriage making of other churches, etc.? Why isn't their own private bigotry satisfying enough?
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey

  3. #33
    Veteran Member aboutenough's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    46,623
    Thanks
    2603

    From
    Washington state
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    No, they are not. This is a tired old lie that will not become true just because you and yours continue to repeat it. It is called an argumentum ad nauseum, I believe, and is a logical fallacy.

    @Michael J?
    The school has decided a persons religious views will prevent them from council to Homosexuals. That is discrimination. Here is an hypothetical example if the tables were turned. Should a Homosexual studying as a Social Worker be expelled from the college because they may not be able to council Christians?
    Thanks from George Meyers

  4. #34
    Council Member Djinn's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    38,707
    Thanks
    23689

    From
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    Would it be right to not hire a Social Worker because they were a Christian? Should this also include other religions that believe marriage is between one man and one woman? It could be Muslims and Jews colleges would ban from their Social Worker programs because they believe marriage is between one man and one woman
    It has nothing to do with a candidate "being Christian." There are many Christians who are perfectly willing to accommodate the needs of the LGBTQ community. And if the social services organization caters to the LGBTQ community, they would be remiss in hiring someone incapable of helping them non-judgmentally. If you plan to work for such an agency, you would be wise to keep your views to yourself - or at least anonymize them so they don't show up in a Google search against your name.
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey and Madeline

  5. #35
    Veteran Member aboutenough's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    46,623
    Thanks
    2603

    From
    Washington state
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    Religious beliefs are immaterial. The employer should reject candidates who will not adhere to agency protocols, etc. in performing duties. So, privately, the social worker might believe that children are all undesirable parasites, but if they can relentlessly carry out the duty to protect them at work, they could be suitable.

    The sad part here is, this student has already tried to inject his anti-gay beliefs into his school work, to the point of litigating them. This is not a harbinger of happy days to come as a social worker.
    Should a Muslim be expelled from the program because they reject the same sex marriage idea? Their religion stones Gay people and throws them off buildings.
    Thanks from George Meyers

  6. #36
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    44,371
    Thanks
    27222

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    The school has decided a persons religious views will prevent them from council to Homosexuals. That is discrimination. Here is an hypothetical example if the tables were turned. Should a Homosexual studying as a Social Worker be expelled from the college because they may not be able to council Christians?
    Will the gay person openly condemn the Christian client, belittle him, deprive him of the agency's services, etc.? Unlikely.

    Will this Christian student do that to future GLBT clients, if hired as a social worker? Almost certainly.

    The profession of social work requires that the professionals substitute agency protocols for their private judgments. Anyone who cannot do so cannot fulfill the duties of this job.

  7. #37
    Vexatious Correspondent Leo2's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,988
    Thanks
    2406

    From
    UK/Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    The school has decided a persons religious views will prevent them from council to Homosexuals. That is discrimination. Here is an hypothetical example if the tables were turned. Should a Homosexual studying as a Social Worker be expelled from the college because they may not be able to council Christians?
    If said homosexual (there is no need to capitalise homosexual, it is not a proper noun,) publicly expressed views denigrating Christian beliefs, I am certain he would face similar sanctions. It is a matter of suitability for his professional duties, not one of personal beliefs.
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey and Madeline

  8. #38
    Veteran Member DebateDrone's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    26,065
    Thanks
    22632

    From
    SWUSA
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    No, religious people cannot ban same sex people from marrying unless its in their churches.
    Where else would religious people need to ban SS couples from marrying?
    Thanks from Madeline

  9. #39
    Veteran Member aboutenough's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    46,623
    Thanks
    2603

    From
    Washington state
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinn View Post
    It has nothing to do with a candidate "being Christian." There are many Christians who are perfectly willing to accommodate the needs of the LGBTQ community. And if the social services organization caters to the LGBTQ community, they would be remiss in hiring someone incapable of helping them non-judgmentally. If you plan to work for such an agency, you would be wise to keep your views to yourself - or at least anonymize them so they don't show up in a Google search against your name.
    That sounds reasonable, but the student in London was dropped from the program because if his views on same sex marriage. He won a lawsuit for discrimination. Here in America another student was dropped from the program because of their Christian beliefs, but they never won a lawsuit. American law plays favorites and there is no religious discrimination when it comes to Gay rights colliding with each other

  10. #40
    Council Member Djinn's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    38,707
    Thanks
    23689

    From
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    Should a Muslim be expelled from the program because they reject the same sex marriage idea? Their religion stones Gay people and throws them off buildings.
    How would the employer know that they reject the idea of same sex marriage?
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey and Madeline

Page 4 of 138 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 184
    Last Post: 10th March 2017, 02:51 PM
  2. Gov't to fire Christian for not viewing pro-LGBT video?
    By aboutenough in forum Current Events
    Replies: 972
    Last Post: 10th October 2016, 07:39 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 5th July 2016, 06:14 AM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 29th May 2015, 06:26 AM
  5. Replies: 138
    Last Post: 29th March 2013, 11:30 AM

Search tags for this page

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed