Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 101
Thanks Tree91Thanks

Thread: Cultural appropriation and art

  1. #41
    You just made the list! Macduff's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    78,425
    Thanks
    19861

    From
    Pittsburgh, PA
    It's about time the world tells the SJW nitwits to go screw. Eat Chinese food. Do yoga. Listen to Ladysmith Black Mambazo. No one has the right to tell you that you can't consume or produce something based on culture.

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    8,463
    Thanks
    2327

    From
    California
    Quote Originally Posted by StanStill View Post
    Perhaps you aren't aware, but there is no melting anything with sushi. It's raw.


    Mr. Still,

    You mean like the Spider roll, deep fried raw soft shelled crab? Or the California Roll, raw cooked crab and avocado? Or the Ebi Nigiri, cooked raw shrimp? Or the Tamagoyaki? (They tried a raw version of this, but the scrambled egg kept rolling off the rice). Or unagi, raw eel boiled in soy sauce?

  3. #43
    Anarquistador StanStill's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    8,231
    Thanks
    8089

    From
    Home
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallie Knoetze View Post
    Mr. Still,

    You mean like the Spider roll, deep fried raw soft shelled crab? Or the California Roll, raw cooked crab and avocado? Or the Ebi Nigiri, cooked raw shrimp? Or the Tamagoyaki? (They tried a raw version of this, but the scrambled egg kept rolling off the rice). Or unagi, raw eel boiled in soy sauce?
    How hot do they have to get those so that they melt?

    Fucking Californians. They think they are so, like funny, man. Dig?

  4. #44
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    43,929
    Thanks
    20462

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueneck View Post
    Really? Can you eat like one bite of one and then one bite of the other or does it have to be separate meals?
    More than separate meals. After dairy, I can eat meat in about an hour, some say 1/2 hour & rinse your mouth out first. After meat, there are different opinions, but the prevailing opinion is 6 hours before eating dairy. (Some hold to 4 hours, or even 3. I started out waiting 6, so that's my custom.) Pareve things - i.e., neutral, neither dairy nor meat - can be eaten at any time. Eggs and fish are considered pareve. However, while fish can be eaten at the same meal as meat, it cannot be mixed with meat - i.e., has to be different plate & utensils. With dairy, fish can be combined (hence bagels w/ lox & cream cheese, e.g.).
    Thanks from Blueneck

  5. #45
    vulgar? Rasselas's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    58,028
    Thanks
    30422

    From
    in my head
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    Wow. I did not know that (though I did know Henry Ford used to have his managers visit employees' homes to make sure they were living moral lives).

    What is an "A-S woman"?
    Anglo-Saxon
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey

  6. #46
    Sally Sitter Paris's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,977
    Thanks
    2268

    From
    EU
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueneck View Post
    An interesting issue, and something I think is a slippery slope because all culture has been appropriated from the beginning of time to where you can't pinpoint it's origins with any certainty.







    White Painter Loses Art Show Over Cultural Appropriation Debate

    My problems with this thinking are mostly that to begin with, there's no way to tell what someone is or isn't influenced by, and I also think that unless you force everyone to get DNA tests to prove they're a member of a "culture" you can't say who can and can't adopt a style of painting or music or whatever.



    Not to mention, cultures themselves have borrowed from other cultures:



    Any thoughts?
    Yes.

    It's a beauty.

  7. #47
    Flibbertigibbet Wonderer's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2014
    Posts
    22,455
    Thanks
    14089

    From
    Missouri
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    More than separate meals. After dairy, I can eat meat in about an hour, some say 1/2 hour & rinse your mouth out first. After meat, there are different opinions, but the prevailing opinion is 6 hours before eating dairy. (Some hold to 4 hours, or even 3. I started out waiting 6, so that's my custom.) Pareve things - i.e., neutral, neither dairy nor meat - can be eaten at any time. Eggs and fish are considered pareve. However, while fish can be eaten at the same meal as meat, it cannot be mixed with meat - i.e., has to be different plate & utensils. With dairy, fish can be combined (hence bagels w/ lox & cream cheese, e.g.).
    I know it's a matter of habit and custom, but it's nigh on impossible for me to imagine a diet without cheeseburgers. Or pepperoni pizza. I am weak!
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey

  8. #48
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    1,307
    Thanks
    565

    From
    Maryland USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    More than separate meals. After dairy, I can eat meat in about an hour, some say 1/2 hour & rinse your mouth out first. After meat, there are different opinions, but the prevailing opinion is 6 hours before eating dairy. (Some hold to 4 hours, or even 3. I started out waiting 6, so that's my custom.) Pareve things - i.e., neutral, neither dairy nor meat - can be eaten at any time. Eggs and fish are considered pareve. However, while fish can be eaten at the same meal as meat, it cannot be mixed with meat - i.e., has to be different plate & utensils. With dairy, fish can be combined (hence bagels w/ lox & cream cheese, e.g.).
    I once worked at a company where I was just about the only "Goy" employed. My buds and I would often go to the local deli for lunch. The deli severed the best looking Virginia baked ham I've ever seen. Being from Virginia, I wanted some pretty bad, but I didn't by it because I had a limited knowledge of the dietary restrictions for my buds. I didn't want to appear disrespectful. One day I get to the table and all my buds are eating Virginia baked ham sandwiches. That's when I learned that there are three types of Synagogues--Orthodox, Conservative and Reform. It appears that all my buds attended Reform synagogues. Their reasoning was that the Kosher mandates were written during biblical times. During those times, the meat of animals with split hooves or with a shell spoiled very quickly causing people to get sick. Accordingly, eating such foods was prohibited in the Kosher diet. Currently, with refrigeration and such, the need for such dietary protections are no longer needed. Being a Gentile, it is not my right to judge them, I was just glad that I could share Virginia ham with my buds. But that's their story and stuck to it.

  9. #49
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    43,929
    Thanks
    20462

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWahoo View Post
    That's when I learned that there are three types of Synagogues--Orthodox, Conservative and Reform.
    There are actually more than that - and lots of distinctions even amongst Orthodox groups.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheWahoo View Post
    Their reasoning was that the Kosher mandates were written during biblical times. During those times, the meat of animals with split hooves or with a shell spoiled very quickly causing people to get sick. Accordingly, eating such foods was prohibited in the Kosher diet. Currently, with refrigeration and such, the need for such dietary protections are no longer needed.
    The real difference between the groups, though, is that Orthodox Jews keep to Biblical law as being divinely mandated, irrespective of the reason. In fact, the Torah does not give any reason for the kosher laws. Reform Jews, on the other hand, hold that all halacha (Jewish law) is optional, and that of course includes kosher laws. Conservative span a wide range (from "Conservadox" to what I call "Conservaform") in between the two (yes, "Conservative" Judaism is one of the more liberal groups).
    Thanks from Wonderer

  10. #50
    NWO Toilet Cleaner Blues63's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    3,619
    Thanks
    2319

    From
    An NWO Toilet
    It seems that Chanel cannot reproduce the shape of the boomerang without upsetting someone:

    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-16/chanels-$2000-boomerang-sparks-aboriginal-appropriation-claim/8531496

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Cultural appropriation
    By Amelia in forum Civil Rights
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 14th March 2017, 12:19 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 8th October 2016, 04:55 PM
  3. "Cultural Appropriation"
    By webrockk in forum Current Events
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 23rd April 2016, 09:00 AM
  4. Replies: 43
    Last Post: 31st March 2016, 12:49 AM
  5. massive defense appropriation for something no one wants
    By Lysander Spooner in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 1st August 2010, 10:13 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed