Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 387
Thanks Tree172Thanks

Thread: The Court-Ordered Killing of Charlie Gard

  1. #31
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    28,096
    Thanks
    10114

    From
    on the river
    Quote Originally Posted by Davocrat View Post
    Our government tried to stop a husband from doing that to Terri Schaivo.
    Our government didn't, Terri's parents did. Where do spouses fall on your familial pecking order? Do you not consider them worthy of such decisions?

  2. #32
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    28,096
    Thanks
    10114

    From
    on the river
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Spare us the drama! This child has no future, and no chance of improvement. He and his parents and the hospital (A children's hospital of world renown) have come to the end of a long process of ethical and legal steps to establish what is the approriate treatment in his particular case. Artificially prolonging his existence will not benefit him.
    The family doesn't have the resources, they crowd-funded the money, but there's no intervention, however experimental, that can remedy ongoing structural brain damage.
    the people who love this child shouldn't have to suffer your arrogance, too.

  3. #33
    Sally Sitter Paris's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    4,084
    Thanks
    2336

    From
    EU
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    The OP makes a better title for a horror movie.
    Thanks from Davocrat and OHjulie

  4. #34
    ~Standing My Ground~ Sassy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    38,040
    Thanks
    14855

    From
    God Bless Texas
    He can't see, hear, move, or swallow. He suffers from seizures. He 'lives' in intensive care and would after that experimental treatment. So, millions and millions of taxpayer dollars to keep him 'alive' to allow the parents to be delusional that this baby stands any chance. He is practically dead now.

  5. #35
    Nuisance Factor Yeti 8 Jungle Swing Champion, YetiSports 4 - Albatross Overload Champion, YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion boontito's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    81,283
    Thanks
    55076

    From
    out of nowhere!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
    He can't see, hear, move, or swallow. He suffers from seizures. He 'lives' in intensive care and would after that experimental treatment. So, millions and millions of taxpayer dollars to keep him 'alive' to allow the parents to be delusional that this baby stands any chance. He is practically dead now.
    And you have a valid opinion, as do the parents who are motivated by their love for their child. Hopefully, none of us will ever have to be in their position and have to deal with something like this. It's worse than callous to sit in judgement on what they are going through, and how they are dealing with it.
    Thanks from webrockk

  6. #36
    Moderator HCProf's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    13,534
    Thanks
    7761

    From
    USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Macduff View Post
    There is no indication that his parents are anything less than loving and capable. It should be their decision, not anyone else's.
    In this case, it would be the same battle here with the insurance companies...and in most cases, they usually win and it comes down to what is happening in this case. It is natural for a parent to advocate on a child's behalf and the parents of Charlie are in the grieving process currently even tho he is not dead, deep down they know the outcome, eventually. Usually, in tough cases like this, the hospital begin the process of working with the parents through the grieving process and keep reinforcing quality of life importance, they stop artificial life support when the parents are ready. Some take longer than others. Hospice is great for working with parents.
    Thanks from boontito

  7. #37
    ~Standing My Ground~ Sassy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    38,040
    Thanks
    14855

    From
    God Bless Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by HCProf View Post
    In this case, it would be the same battle here with the insurance companies...and in most cases, they usually win and it comes down to what is happening in this case. It is natural for a parent to advocate on a child's behalf and the parents of Charlie are in the grieving process currently even tho he is not dead, deep down they know the outcome, eventually. Usually, in tough cases like this, the hospital begin the process of working with the parents through the grieving process and keep reinforcing quality of life importance, they stop artificial life support when the parents are ready. Some take longer than others. Hospice is great for working with parents.
    Right. They would not keep paying for ICU when there is no hope.

  8. #38
    ~Standing My Ground~ Sassy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    38,040
    Thanks
    14855

    From
    God Bless Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by boontito View Post
    And you have a valid opinion, as do the parents who are motivated by their love for their child. Hopefully, none of us will ever have to be in their position and have to deal with something like this. It's worse than callous to sit in judgement on what they are going through, and how they are dealing with it.
    Why don't you discuss the topic and not the posters? Stop judging me. This is my opinion. They are selfish. This baby cannot live and he suffers seizures.
    Thanks from Friday13

  9. #39
    ~Standing My Ground~ Sassy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    38,040
    Thanks
    14855

    From
    God Bless Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by HCProf View Post
    In this case, it would be the same battle here with the insurance companies...and in most cases, they usually win and it comes down to what is happening in this case. It is natural for a parent to advocate on a child's behalf and the parents of Charlie are in the grieving process currently even tho he is not dead, deep down they know the outcome, eventually. Usually, in tough cases like this, the hospital begin the process of working with the parents through the grieving process and keep reinforcing quality of life importance, they stop artificial life support when the parents are ready. Some take longer than others. Hospice is great for working with parents.
    The Doctors gave him 10 months in ICU. That is a long time for an incurable, terminal condition. I felt pushed, really pushed, regarding my mother after 3 days. And she could breathe!

  10. #40
    Nuisance Factor Yeti 8 Jungle Swing Champion, YetiSports 4 - Albatross Overload Champion, YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion boontito's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    81,283
    Thanks
    55076

    From
    out of nowhere!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
    Why don't you discuss the topic and not the posters? Stop judging me. This is my opinion. They are selfish. This baby cannot live and he suffers seizures.
    I have been discussing this case. If you want to be a snowflake and not have your opinions questioned, you should probably try a different forum or put me on ignore.

Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 40
    Last Post: 19th May 2016, 06:05 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 7th March 2016, 01:40 PM
  3. Replies: 223
    Last Post: 21st September 2015, 07:39 AM
  4. Governor Rick Perry ordered to be in court on Halloween
    By goldendog in forum Current Events
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 8th November 2014, 07:28 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed