Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
Thanks Tree14Thanks

Thread: Handling of protesters during Trump rally by police was "reprehensible"

  1. #1
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    42,396
    Thanks
    25011

    From
    New Hampshire

    Handling of protesters during Trump rally by police was "reprehensible"

    Some are very unhappy with the Phoenix police.

    The handling by the police of this peaceful protest was reprehensible," Jordan Lauterbach, a 31-year-old bartender, told the NYT. "I was gassed tonight for exercising my right to express my views. I was disgusted by that."

    Police deployed tear gas, pepper spray, stun grenades and rubber bullets on Tuesday night to break up protest crowds after President Trump's rally in Phoenix, Arizona. "Officers responded with pepper spray to break up the crowd after people tossed rocks and bottles and dispersed gas, Phoenix police spokesman Jonathan Howard said," the AP's Jacques Billeaud and Clarice Silber reported from Phoenix.

    "But some witnesses said that events unfolded differently," per NYT's Simon Romero, "with protesters throwing a water bottle or two in the direction of the police, before the police fired tear gas into the crowd."

    Kind of a he said/she said scenario.

    https://www.axios.com/phoenix-police...476073718.html
    Thanks from Jets

  2. #2
    A Blue Dog Jets Fan Jets's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    20,301
    Thanks
    7887

    From
    New York
    Not to split hairs here, but throwing ANYTHING at law enforcement during a protest is downright stupid and inexcusable. Once a few water bottles are thrown, how long before the objects become heavier and dangerous. People are supposed to be demonstrating against The President, not trying to see how far the police can be pushed.
    Thanks from bajisima and a777pilot

  3. #3
    Moderator HCProf's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    18,023
    Thanks
    9652

    From
    USA
    I saw this on the morning news. Our streets are looking like Beirut these days. Water bottles are benign, but urine filled bottles have been launched at LE as well. I am surprised that cops actually show up for this currently and they don't call off sick. They have the protection of their union to do so. We can't expect anyone to stand there and get pelted with urine, water, cement bottles or anything else.

  4. #4
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    42,396
    Thanks
    25011

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets View Post
    Not to split hairs here, but throwing ANYTHING at law enforcement during a protest is downright stupid and inexcusable. Once a few water bottles are thrown, how long before the objects become heavier and dangerous. People are supposed to be demonstrating against The President, not trying to see how far the police can be pushed.
    One protester got hit in the private area with a rubber bullet for kicking objects at police.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgsKJGCNfUA
    Thanks from Jets

  5. #5
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    42,396
    Thanks
    25011

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by HCProf View Post
    I saw this on the morning news. Our streets are looking like Beirut these days. Water bottles are benign, but urine filled bottles have been launched at LE as well. I am surprised that cops actually show up for this currently and they don't call off sick. They have the protection of their union to do so. We can't expect anyone to stand there and get pelted with urine, water, cement bottles or anything else.
    I just don't understand why they throw anything at the police. Arent they there to protest Trump??? The police form a line to keep the protesters and supporters separated for safety reasons. Then they get bottles thrown.
    Thanks from Jets

  6. #6
    Moderator HCProf's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    18,023
    Thanks
    9652

    From
    USA
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    I just don't understand why they throw anything at the police. Arent they there to protest Trump??? The police form a line to keep the protesters and supporters separated for safety reasons. Then they get bottles thrown.
    I don't get it either. I think they resent the police because they want to break through the line and tear each other apart...like foaming at the mouth savages. The "fight" is becoming more important than the message. Like I said, we look like Beirut these days.
    Thanks from a777pilot and bajisima

  7. #7
    Cat-tastic Babba's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    66,129
    Thanks
    46907

    From
    So. Md.
    As usual, a small minority ruin it for everyone.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    1,805
    Thanks
    869

    From
    Maryland USA
    Protesting is fine, but when items are thrown at the police, it becomes an attack on the police and the police have the right to respond, prevent escalation and protect themselves.
    Last edited by TheWahoo; 23rd August 2017 at 09:08 AM.

  9. #9
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    42,396
    Thanks
    25011

    From
    New Hampshire
    They would have done better holding candles and signs. This way they just gave right wing media more talking points about "the violent left" and how they "hate police."
    Thanks from HCProf

  10. #10
    A Blue Dog Jets Fan Jets's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    20,301
    Thanks
    7887

    From
    New York
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    They would have done better holding candles and signs. This way they just gave right wing media more talking points about "the violent left" and how they "hate police."
    More often than not, optics and perception define the narrative over actual facts.
    Thanks from bajisima and HCProf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 5th June 2017, 02:18 PM
  2. Replies: 145
    Last Post: 26th May 2016, 09:56 AM
  3. Donald Trump demands that police arrest rally protesters
    By goldendog in forum Current Events
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 15th March 2016, 11:20 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10th March 2016, 05:39 AM
  5. Replies: 127
    Last Post: 2nd November 2010, 06:45 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed