Page 1 of 47 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 465
Thanks Tree151Thanks

Thread: Atheists go after Sen. Marco Rubio with guns blazing — this is why they’re dead wrong

  1. #1
    Veteran Member aboutenough's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    49,938
    Thanks
    2736

    From
    Washington state

    Atheists go after Sen. Marco Rubio with guns blazing — this is why they’re dead wrong

    Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) continues to face backlash for sharing daily Bible verses on Twitter, and this time, the largest atheist organization in America is trying to hit the Christian senator where it hurts.


    A portion of the letter from the foundation to Rubio read:
    We protect the constitutional principle of separation between state and church, and educate the public on matters relating to nontheism.
    We understand that you have been tweeting bible verses from @MarcoRubio to nearly three million followers. It appears that you began tweeting the bible in mid-May and have been doing so regularly ever since. This is not an errant bible verse or two, but more than 60 bible verses in three months. That’s enough verses to tweet the entire Book of Jude. Twice. One of the most recent verses, tweeted during the eclipse, appears to suggest that the eclipse is the work of god, quoting Exodus 10:21.1. …
    Of course, we have no issue with people reading and discussing the bible. The road to atheism is littered with bibles that have been read cover to cover. But it is not for the government in our secular republic to promote one religious book over others or to promote religion over nonreligion.
    Doing so violates the Establishment Clause of the Constitution. …
    The Freedom From Religion Foundation, a Wisconsin-based atheist group, on Tuesday attacked Rubio’s outpouring of love for God, Jesus, and the Bible in an open letter, and called for the senator to stop sharing his faith in a public manner. The organization has publicly condemned Rubio for sharing Bible verses on his Twitter page.
    To remedy Rubio’s “infractions,” the group suggested one of two options: Rubio should either stop quoting Scripture on his personal Twitter account or purge all mentions of the fact that he holds a publicly elected office as a U.S. senator on the same Twitter page.https://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/0...re-dead-wrong/

    This is the problem with what the FFRF wants, which is to limit freedom of speech. They have been doing this for a very long time with teachers, football coaches, basically people that work for the government. Rubio is a Senator that would be very hard to take down for the FFRF, so you notice no threats of a lawsuit. Their intentions are very clear here. Stop free speech so they can control what people hear. The FFRF doesn't want the Free Exercise of the First Amendment to happen, so they speak of the preventions of government establishing a religion. Rubio is just sharing Bible verses with people and its not harming anyone. The more the FFRF keeps this up it becomes clear what their intentions are. They are losing this war on religion because they are the only ones that care.

  2. #2
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    55,304
    Thanks
    10091

    From
    By the wall
    I think this is more of an attack by the left on Christians than a freedom of speech issue.

    It infuriates liberals when we talk about God in public.

  3. #3
    Veteran Member aboutenough's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    49,938
    Thanks
    2736

    From
    Washington state
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    I think this is more of an attack by the left on Christians than a freedom of speech issue.

    It infuriates liberals when we talk about God in public.
    I agree, but legally its a free speech issue the FFRF is trying to limit or stop. The FFRF has always tried to do this and they have done it will much success. Stopping Rubio may be a bigger problem for them. Would they get the Senate to stop him? No, we have a GOP majority in the House and Senate right now. The FFRF can't do anything but complain

  4. #4
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    55,304
    Thanks
    10091

    From
    By the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    I agree, but legally its a free speech issue the FFRF is trying to limit or stop. The FFRF has always tried to do this and they have done it will much success. Stopping Rubio may be a bigger problem for them. Would they get the Senate to stop him? No, we have a GOP majority in the House and Senate right now. The FFRF can't do anything but complain
    I suppose you are right.

    It is limiting speech but for a specific reason.

    This is why liberals are so dangerous.
    Thanks from carpe diem

  5. #5
    The Covfefe are Coming! BitterPill's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    6,815
    Thanks
    4504

    From
    SoCal
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) continues to face backlash for sharing daily Bible verses on Twitter, and this time, the largest atheist organization in America is trying to hit the Christian senator where it hurts.


    A portion of the letter from the foundation to Rubio read:
    We protect the constitutional principle of separation between state and church, and educate the public on matters relating to nontheism.
    We understand that you have been tweeting bible verses from @MarcoRubio to nearly three million followers. It appears that you began tweeting the bible in mid-May and have been doing so regularly ever since. This is not an errant bible verse or two, but more than 60 bible verses in three months. That’s enough verses to tweet the entire Book of Jude. Twice. One of the most recent verses, tweeted during the eclipse, appears to suggest that the eclipse is the work of god, quoting Exodus 10:21.1. …
    Of course, we have no issue with people reading and discussing the bible. The road to atheism is littered with bibles that have been read cover to cover. But it is not for the government in our secular republic to promote one religious book over others or to promote religion over nonreligion.
    Doing so violates the Establishment Clause of the Constitution. …
    The Freedom From Religion Foundation, a Wisconsin-based atheist group, on Tuesday attacked Rubio’s outpouring of love for God, Jesus, and the Bible in an open letter, and called for the senator to stop sharing his faith in a public manner. The organization has publicly condemned Rubio for sharing Bible verses on his Twitter page.
    To remedy Rubio’s “infractions,” the group suggested one of two options: Rubio should either stop quoting Scripture on his personal Twitter account or purge all mentions of the fact that he holds a publicly elected office as a U.S. senator on the same Twitter page.https://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/0...re-dead-wrong/

    This is the problem with what the FFRF wants, which is to limit freedom of speech. They have been doing this for a very long time with teachers, football coaches, basically people that work for the government. Rubio is a Senator that would be very hard to take down for the FFRF, so you notice no threats of a lawsuit. Their intentions are very clear here. Stop free speech so they can control what people hear. The FFRF doesn't want the Free Exercise of the First Amendment to happen, so they speak of the preventions of government establishing a religion. Rubio is just sharing Bible verses with people and its not harming anyone. The more the FFRF keeps this up it becomes clear what their intentions are. They are losing this war on religion because they are the only ones that care.
    The Freedom From Religion Foundation is actually practicing free-speech, not limiting it.

  6. #6
    New Member
    Joined
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    116
    Thanks
    51

    From
    US
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) continues to face backlash for sharing daily Bible verses on Twitter, and this time, the largest atheist organization in America is trying to hit the Christian senator where it hurts.


    A portion of the letter from the foundation to Rubio read:
    We protect the constitutional principle of separation between state and church, and educate the public on matters relating to nontheism.
    We understand that you have been tweeting bible verses from @MarcoRubio to nearly three million followers. It appears that you began tweeting the bible in mid-May and have been doing so regularly ever since. This is not an errant bible verse or two, but more than 60 bible verses in three months. That’s enough verses to tweet the entire Book of Jude. Twice. One of the most recent verses, tweeted during the eclipse, appears to suggest that the eclipse is the work of god, quoting Exodus 10:21.1. …
    Of course, we have no issue with people reading and discussing the bible. The road to atheism is littered with bibles that have been read cover to cover. But it is not for the government in our secular republic to promote one religious book over others or to promote religion over nonreligion.
    Doing so violates the Establishment Clause of the Constitution. …
    The Freedom From Religion Foundation, a Wisconsin-based atheist group, on Tuesday attacked Rubio’s outpouring of love for God, Jesus, and the Bible in an open letter, and called for the senator to stop sharing his faith in a public manner. The organization has publicly condemned Rubio for sharing Bible verses on his Twitter page.
    To remedy Rubio’s “infractions,” the group suggested one of two options: Rubio should either stop quoting Scripture on his personal Twitter account or purge all mentions of the fact that he holds a publicly elected office as a U.S. senator on the same Twitter page.https://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/0...re-dead-wrong/

    This is the problem with what the FFRF wants, which is to limit freedom of speech. They have been doing this for a very long time with teachers, football coaches, basically people that work for the government. Rubio is a Senator that would be very hard to take down for the FFRF, so you notice no threats of a lawsuit. Their intentions are very clear here. Stop free speech so they can control what people hear. The FFRF doesn't want the Free Exercise of the First Amendment to happen, so they speak of the preventions of government establishing a religion. Rubio is just sharing Bible verses with people and its not harming anyone. The more the FFRF keeps this up it becomes clear what their intentions are. They are losing this war on religion because they are the only ones that care.
    I have no problem with it. It's called politics. And I love politics so I don't mind at all. He's free to quote whatever he wants and the people against it can say whatever they want and I have not problem with that either. I vote democratic anyway and it doesn't bother me one bit.

    Sent from my Z833 using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    The Covfefe are Coming! BitterPill's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    6,815
    Thanks
    4504

    From
    SoCal
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    I agree, but legally its a free speech issue the FFRF is trying to limit or stop. The FFRF has always tried to do this and they have done it will much success. Stopping Rubio may be a bigger problem for them. Would they get the Senate to stop him? No, we have a GOP majority in the House and Senate right now. The FFRF can't do anything but complain
    Our Constitution declares:

    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

    Are you going to need a link?

  8. #8
    Established Member soupnazi's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5,761
    Thanks
    1092

    From
    Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) continues to face backlash for sharing daily Bible verses on Twitter, and this time, the largest atheist organization in America is trying to hit the Christian senator where it hurts.


    A portion of the letter from the foundation to Rubio read:
    We protect the constitutional principle of separation between state and church, and educate the public on matters relating to nontheism.
    We understand that you have been tweeting bible verses from @MarcoRubio to nearly three million followers. It appears that you began tweeting the bible in mid-May and have been doing so regularly ever since. This is not an errant bible verse or two, but more than 60 bible verses in three months. That’s enough verses to tweet the entire Book of Jude. Twice. One of the most recent verses, tweeted during the eclipse, appears to suggest that the eclipse is the work of god, quoting Exodus 10:21.1. …
    Of course, we have no issue with people reading and discussing the bible. The road to atheism is littered with bibles that have been read cover to cover. But it is not for the government in our secular republic to promote one religious book over others or to promote religion over nonreligion.
    Doing so violates the Establishment Clause of the Constitution. …
    The Freedom From Religion Foundation, a Wisconsin-based atheist group, on Tuesday attacked Rubio’s outpouring of love for God, Jesus, and the Bible in an open letter, and called for the senator to stop sharing his faith in a public manner. The organization has publicly condemned Rubio for sharing Bible verses on his Twitter page.
    To remedy Rubio’s “infractions,” the group suggested one of two options: Rubio should either stop quoting Scripture on his personal Twitter account or purge all mentions of the fact that he holds a publicly elected office as a U.S. senator on the same Twitter page.https://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/0...re-dead-wrong/

    This is the problem with what the FFRF wants, which is to limit freedom of speech. They have been doing this for a very long time with teachers, football coaches, basically people that work for the government. Rubio is a Senator that would be very hard to take down for the FFRF, so you notice no threats of a lawsuit. Their intentions are very clear here. Stop free speech so they can control what people hear. The FFRF doesn't want the Free Exercise of the First Amendment to happen, so they speak of the preventions of government establishing a religion. Rubio is just sharing Bible verses with people and its not harming anyone. The more the FFRF keeps this up it becomes clear what their intentions are. They are losing this war on religion because they are the only ones that care.
    Very odd.

    I'm an atheist and have never heard of the FFRF. Of course I believe most atheists do not need or bother to join organizations.

    I see nothing wrong with a congressmen tweeting bible verses.

  9. #9
    The Covfefe are Coming! BitterPill's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    6,815
    Thanks
    4504

    From
    SoCal
    Quote Originally Posted by soupnazi View Post
    Very odd.

    I'm an atheist and have never heard of the FFRF. Of course I believe most atheists do not need or bother to join organizations.

    I see nothing wrong with a congressmen tweeting bible verses.
    Damn... I agree with you yet again though I'm more agnostic than atheist.

  10. #10
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    55,304
    Thanks
    10091

    From
    By the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by BitterPill View Post
    Our Constitution declares:

    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

    Are you going to need a link?
    They are personal Tweets.

    What you are saying is that anyone in congress can't believe in God.
    Thanks from Pureinheart

Page 1 of 47 12311 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Why is Marco Rubio So Poor
    By Friday13 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 16th November 2015, 09:42 PM
  2. The right way to take on Marco Rubio
    By RosieS in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 27th September 2015, 05:46 PM
  3. Marco Rubio - Being Gay Is Not A Choice
    By HayJenn in forum Current Events
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 20th April 2015, 10:15 AM
  4. Replies: 52
    Last Post: 13th April 2015, 04:57 PM
  5. Marco Rubio
    By yuri zhivago in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 24th January 2014, 07:12 AM

Search tags for this page

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed