Members banned from this thread: bmanmcfly


Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 58
Thanks Tree12Thanks

Thread: S. Koreans worry North Korean nukes will damage US alliance

  1. #1
    The Pundit DemoWhip's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    5,942
    Thanks
    3516

    From
    In Your Heart!

    Exclamation S. Koreans worry North Korean nukes will damage US alliance

    This is indeed troubling news. It is sad to learn that South Korea is now thinking in these terms all because of Trump's inability to deal with the situation with North Korea. But under the circumstances who can blame them? They have to look after their own interests as well although the U.S. has always been friends with S. Korea and has had their back. Times may be changing, however, with the new Trump administration so that is indeed cause for concern.







    ----------------------------------------

    S. Koreans worry North Korean nukes will damage US alliance - ABC News
    By Foster Klug, Associated Press

    "This feeds a growing worry that has many in South Korea and Japan asking a startling question. Could Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un want the same thing, namely a separation, or "decoupling," of the decades-old security alliance between the United States and its top Asian allies, South Korea and Japan?"
    "What people in South Korea worry about most is whether the United States will defend South Korea at a time when the U.S. mainland is under threat (by North Korean missiles). If you look at what Trump said now, the answer seems to be no," said Shin Hee-Seok, a graduate student in international law at Seoul's Yonsei University. "While it still remains a fringe opinion, some South Koreans are wondering if we should now build our own nuclear deterrent. If the U.S. is not a reliable ally, South Korea may have to think about Plan B."
    "The United States now is not the United States we used to know," the Chosun Ilbo, South Korea's largest daily newspaper, said in an editorial. "The president prioritizes dollars over the alliance."

  2. #2
    Veteran Member bmanmcfly's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    12,455
    Thanks
    2127

    From
    C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
    What would Hillary have done different?

  3. #3
    Veteran Member Chief's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    25,485
    Thanks
    6160

    From
    Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by bmanmcfly View Post
    What would Hillary have done different?
    Who cares? Trump is our president. What can he do now? Its not just his fault... Obama, Bush, and Clinton all watched as NK built this up. Going further, every President since the Korean War has allowed us to remain at war with North Korea. Stupid and pointless, and unfortunately for Trump, he got handed the shit sandwich.

    In my opinion we have two real options, and a third option that's the worst. First is to end the war, make peace with North Korea, and then just accept them as a nuclear power and get along the best we can with them. Next is to fire up the war again, defeat NK, and make Korea unified again. They will probably remain a nuclear power at this point. Last, is to apply more sanctions, because they have worked so well for the passed thirty years, and continue to make North Korea agitated at us and see where that ultimately leads.

    Unfortunately, our reputation has taken a terrible blow by all this, and do not be surprised when more nations start developing nuclear arms.

  4. #4
    Veteran Member bmanmcfly's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    12,455
    Thanks
    2127

    From
    C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief View Post
    Who cares? Trump is our president. What can he do now? Its not just his fault... Obama, Bush, and Clinton all watched as NK built this up. Going further, every President since the Korean War has allowed us to remain at war with North Korea. Stupid and pointless, and unfortunately for Trump, he got handed the shit sandwich.

    In my opinion we have two real options, and a third option that's the worst. First is to end the war, make peace with North Korea, and then just accept them as a nuclear power and get along the best we can with them. Next is to fire up the war again, defeat NK, and make Korea unified again. They will probably remain a nuclear power at this point. Last, is to apply more sanctions, because they have worked so well for the passed thirty years, and continue to make North Korea agitated at us and see where that ultimately leads.

    Unfortunately, our reputation has taken a terrible blow by all this, and do not be surprised when more nations start developing nuclear arms.
    You're right, who cares what Hillary would do, it was to highlight the alternative and to consider what would be handled differently, even though I know that in most cases even Clinton supporters would have no clue.

    You're also right about this being a flashpoint... But not for a few more years so it could be the trigger event to ww3, which would then justify uniting the world under a strengthened UN would remove sovereignty from nations in order to ensure that no war could ever happen again. Game over.

    In terms of reunification of Korea, Kim Jong will not give up power so easily and I doubt many in the south would be willing to live under such a tyrannical regime.

    In terms of a military solution, unless you are talking complete air superiority accomplished within hours, there will be massive casualties... Or just nuke the entire DMZ and military control within North Korea.

    Koreans are smart people, once they remove that leech from their back side, I'm fairly certain they will do just fine.

  5. #5
    The Pundit DemoWhip's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    5,942
    Thanks
    3516

    From
    In Your Heart!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief View Post
    Who cares? Trump is our president. What can he do now? Its not just his fault... Obama, Bush, and Clinton all watched as NK built this up. Going further, every President since the Korean War has allowed us to remain at war with North Korea. Stupid and pointless, and unfortunately for Trump, he got handed the shit sandwich.

    In my opinion we have two real options, and a third option that's the worst. First is to end the war, make peace with North Korea, and then just accept them as a nuclear power and get along the best we can with them. Next is to fire up the war again, defeat NK, and make Korea unified again. They will probably remain a nuclear power at this point. Last, is to apply more sanctions, because they have worked so well for the passed thirty years, and continue to make North Korea agitated at us and see where that ultimately leads.

    Unfortunately, our reputation has taken a terrible blow by all this, and do not be surprised when more nations start developing nuclear arms.
    They should well remember that arms are for hugging not for destroying.

  6. #6
    Veteran Member DebateDrone's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    30,115
    Thanks
    25636

    From
    SWUSA
    Quote Originally Posted by bmanmcfly View Post
    What would Hillary have done different?
    First you have to define what Trump has done? You have to establish a baseline of what Trump has done.

    So far both Clinton and Trump have done nothing.
    Last edited by DebateDrone; 4th September 2017 at 12:44 PM.

  7. #7
    Veteran Member DebateDrone's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    30,115
    Thanks
    25636

    From
    SWUSA
    Quote Originally Posted by DemoWhip View Post
    This is indeed troubling news. It is sad to learn that South Korea is now thinking in these terms all because of Trump's inability to deal with the situation with North Korea. But under the circumstances who can blame them? They have to look after their own interests as well although the U.S. has always been friends with S. Korea and has had their back. Times may be changing, however, with the new Trump administration so that is indeed cause for concern.







    ----------------------------------------

    S. Koreans worry North Korean nukes will damage US alliance - ABC News
    By Foster Klug, Associated Press
    If I were SK, I would worry more that Trump would provoke NK enough to have NK unlease massive amounts of conventional weapons on SK.

    SK is not going to have a nuclear weapon anything soon so hoping to get one soon on SK own is not plan.



    I would think that SK will have to decide in the future do they stay with an American alliance or work for some kind of reconciliation with the North.

    Remember Donald Trump has no family in NK...South Koreans do.

  8. #8
    Veteran Member bmanmcfly's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    12,455
    Thanks
    2127

    From
    C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
    Quote Originally Posted by DebateDrone View Post
    First you have to define what Trump has done? You have to establish a baseline of what Trump has done.

    So far both Clinton and Trump have done nothing.
    Oh, you mean you don't have adequate information to form an opinion... Your position on this makes a whole lot more sense.

  9. #9
    The Pundit DemoWhip's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    5,942
    Thanks
    3516

    From
    In Your Heart!
    Quote Originally Posted by DebateDrone View Post
    If I were SK, I would worry more that Trump would provoke NK enough to have NK unlease massive amounts of conventional weapons on SK.

    SK is not going to have a nuclear weapon anything soon so hoping to get one soon on SK own is not plan.



    I would think that SK will have to decide in the future do they stay with an American alliance or work for some kind of reconciliation with the North.

    Remember Donald Trump has no family in NK...South Koreans do.
    It is indeed a Catch 22 type situation. However, I don't believe that the South Koreans would want to submit to the type of governmental rule that North Korea has.

  10. #10
    Veteran Member DebateDrone's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    30,115
    Thanks
    25636

    From
    SWUSA
    Quote Originally Posted by DemoWhip View Post
    It is indeed a Catch 22 type situation. However, I don't believe that the South Koreans would want to submit to the type of governmental rule that North Korea has.
    One does not have to submit to any type of government to reconcile and normalize relations. We did not with Vietnam.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Taken for a ride on a North Korean Diversion
    By Eve1 in forum Current Events
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 19th April 2017, 09:12 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2nd September 2015, 11:07 AM
  3. North Koreans Turn to Cannibalism
    By meridian5455 in forum Asia & Middle East
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 29th January 2013, 04:22 PM
  4. North Korean satelite given me the heebz..
    By Six in forum World Politics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 9th April 2009, 08:17 PM
  5. North Korea Nukes
    By getreal in forum World Politics
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 10th October 2006, 05:47 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed