Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 144
Thanks Tree52Thanks

Thread: Trump WILL NOT commit to signing joint resolution on white supremacy

  1. #31
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    42,030
    Thanks
    8839

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    As an aside, this is one more sign that when it comes to politicking in D.C., Trump and the people working for him have extremely low situational awareness and extremely low competence in working the Hill. A normal administration has many ways to kill specific bills in their infancy. It's aware of what committees are doing what, and how to squeeze chairmen at least of its own party to strangle things in the crib. Not only did that not happen, but no apparent effort was made to lobby against the bill's passage during the final markup, or even to change the language.

    Hesitating to sign once you've dithered and allowed a veto-proof majority to form just makes you look like a moron, in addition to playing into whatever your rivals and opponents wanted when they put the resolution through.
    How did he dither when the White House announced to the world that Trump would sign it well before it has reached his desk.


  2. #32
    Moderator HayJenn's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    41,911
    Thanks
    32442

    From
    CA
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
    There is no link. Exactly what is it he is supposed to sign? With what little I have to go on, for the first time I might say good for Trump. There was no 'original sin' in the people that came with their permits. That was an odd statement from the OP. both sides came looking for a fight and they got what they wanted. We should not allow counter-protesters anywhere near permit-holding protesters no matter who is on what side of that.
    Both sides had permits. And I really don't think we should be giving permits to Nazi's anyway.

    Looks like after talking to Tim Scott (who was pretty upset over his initial comments) he is going to sign it


    President Donald Trump will “absolutely” sign a joint resolution by Congress condemning white supremacists, White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said Wednesday.

    The House and Senate this week passed legislation condemning last month’s fatal white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia. The joint resolution, which urges Trump to “speak out against hate groups that espouse racism, extremism, xenophobia, anti-Semitism, and White supremacy,” heads to the president’s desk.


    Trump met earlier Wednesday with South Carolina Sen. Tim Scott, an African-American lawmaker who had said the president’s “moral authority” was “compromised” by his Charlottesville response.

    White House's Sanders: Trump 'absolutely' will sign Charlottesville resolution - POLITICO

    Think he was put in the position of having to sign it - otherwise....he would be rebuking Congress and the public at large.
    Thanks from Friday13

  3. #33
    Veteran Member cpicturetaker12's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    22,878
    Thanks
    16735

    From
    Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    Passed both chambers unanimously. UNANIMOUSLY.

    But it was introduced as a joint resolution, rather than a resolution of each chamber passed concurrently, for the specific purpose of forcing Trump to sign something that assigns responsibility for the Charlottesville violence to white supremacists. That the GOP leadership and all factions signed on to this specific hand-slap shows that he is starting to test their patience. And now the clown is dithering, doing exactly what his opponents who voted Aye hoped he would do, and which his few remaining genuine supporters in Congress desperately hoped he would not.

    He will probably sign it, today, or at the latest tomorrow. He has no real choice, same as the Russia sanctions bill ... an override is all but guaranteed. But it's just one more instance where Trump has stepped over homeplate rather than swing at a straight-line 90 mph fastball. If he should refuse to sign, or especially if he vetoes, then all hell will break loose.
    Real tough decision to make to have to sign this, huh? Most dead presidents would sign it from their GRAVES.
    Thanks from HayJenn and Friday13

  4. #34
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    30,025
    Thanks
    10934

    From
    on the river
    Straw Man and When Did You Stop Beating Your Wife (Loaded Question) fallacies.

    DC calls that shit 'governing'

  5. #35
    ~Standing My Ground~ Sassy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    42,376
    Thanks
    16493

    From
    God Bless Texas
    We have to give permits to 'Nazis'. And the Black Panthers. And, and. Because free speech.

  6. #36
    Established Member soupnazi's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5,844
    Thanks
    1119

    From
    Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    Nope, hundreds of white nationalists got together for a violent, hateful march carrying weapons through a peaceful college town, nearly all of them coming from across the country to do so. Their leadership constituted a nationwide syndicate of professional racists, militiamen, provocateurs and Internet trolls.

    Large crowds of counter-protesters formed as a result, and *some* few of those counter protesters, who would not have been there had the original sin not been committed, chose to get violent. Nearly all of the counter-protesters were UVA students, locals, or from the immediate region. They were led by clergy, professors, business owners, and mainstream leftist organizations --- there is no evidence that any outside leadership of Antifa was present, and no such people are currently wanted by law enforcement.

    All facts, which Congress without any breakage whatsoever has chosen to affirm. Now the President must.

    By the way, Joint Resolutions don't "do" anything, but they do formally express the will of Congress and codify that will into law, and defying them is a potential impeachable offense.
    Wrong.

    A very few white nationalists got together to peacefully protest even if they did exercise the right to open carry which is not an indication of violence. Many joined them to protest the removal of statues despite the despicable racist message of some. Yes one violent scum bag ran over some people and killed a counter protesters.

    however it is also true that the counter protests were led by antifa and showed up, as antifa, always does with the express purpose of initiating violence.

    Despite the screeching denial of fact by those on the left those ARE the facts and trumps denunciation of both is spot on and the moral equivalency is real and irrefutable.

    You are simply a liar denying facts and the resolution be damned

  7. #37
    ~Standing My Ground~ Sassy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    42,376
    Thanks
    16493

    From
    God Bless Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by soupnazi View Post
    Wrong.

    A very few white nationalists got together to peacefully protest even if they did exercise the right to open carry which is not an indication of violence. Many joined them to protest the removal of statues despite the despicable racist message of some. Yes one violent scum bag ran over some people and killed a counter protesters.

    however it is also true that the counter protests were led by antifa and showed up, as antifa, always does with the express purpose of initiating violence.

    Despite the screeching denial of fact by those on the left those ARE the facts and trumps denunciation of both is spot on and the moral equivalency is real and irrefutable.

    You are simply a liar denying facts and the resolution be damned
    Please. Everyone on the counter-protest side was Antifa? Of course that is not true. Just like everyone who came to protest the statue removal was not a 'Nazi'.

  8. #38
    Victim-oppressor Pimp Davocrat's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    43,467
    Thanks
    24540

    From
    Deep State
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
    It is a fallacy.

    There were TWO SIDES starting shit in Charlottesville.
    And one side hates Jews, blacks, Mexicans and Muslims.

  9. #39
    Victim-oppressor Pimp Davocrat's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    43,467
    Thanks
    24540

    From
    Deep State
    Quote Originally Posted by webrockk View Post
    Straw Man and When Did You Stop Beating Your Wife (Loaded Question) fallacies.

    DC calls that shit 'governing'
    A lot of people here on PH are okay with a LITTLE bit of white supremacy.

  10. #40
    Established Member soupnazi's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5,844
    Thanks
    1119

    From
    Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
    Please. Everyone on the counter-protest side was Antifa? Of course that is not true. Just like everyone who came to protest the statue removal was not a 'Nazi'.
    I said they were led by antifa not that everyone was antifa

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 15th August 2017, 05:03 PM
  2. NRA Call to Arms for White Supremacy
    By Dangermouse in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 30th June 2017, 04:46 AM
  3. Replies: 67
    Last Post: 16th February 2016, 11:27 PM
  4. Veterans and White Supremacy
    By bajisima in forum Current Events
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 18th April 2014, 08:52 PM
  5. Taking White Supremacy to Task
    By Aaronssongs in forum Racism
    Replies: 364
    Last Post: 10th January 2013, 02:03 PM

Search tags for this page

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed