Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 81
Thanks Tree45Thanks

Thread: Agreement on DACA

  1. #1
    RNG
    RNG is offline
    Moderator RNG's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    7,343
    Thanks
    4432

    From
    Canada, West Coast

    Agreement on DACA

    Just in: an email from CNN

    Democratic leaders Sen. Chuck Schumer and Rep. Nancy Pelosi said following a meeting with President Donald Trump that they have "agreed" to a fix on DACA and resolved iron out a border-security plan -- "excluding" the US-Mexico border wall that was one of Trump's most memorable campaign promises.

    In an optimistic statement following the White House meeting, Schumer and Pelosi said the parties had "agreed to enshrine the protections of DACA into law quickly, and to work out a package of border security, excluding the wall, that's acceptable to both sides."

    "We had a very productive meeting at the White House with the President," they said.

    But White House press secretary Sarah Sanders pushed back on that assessment: "While DACA and border security were both discussed, excluding the wall was certainly not agreed to."

    It was not immediately clear what exactly was agreed to on Wednesday night, besides the details included in the Democrats' initial statement.
    I guess tRump liked the positive media coverage of the last time he threw the GOP under the bus he decided to do it again. Anything for the adulation he craves.
    Thanks from Friday13 and Amelia

  2. #2
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    55,636
    Thanks
    10152

    From
    By the wall
    Trump is definitely up to something here.

    He knows he needs democrats for a number of things.

    He will get his wall one way or the other.

    I am very curious what they gave him in return for his reaching across the aisle like this.

    Infrastructure bill maybe?

    I suppose we will find out soon enough.

    Remember that Trump is a negotiator, he knows this game probably better than anyone. He's not doing it just for good press.
    Thanks from Bronwyn

  3. #3
    Veteran Member Eve1's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    12,684
    Thanks
    8336

    From
    My own world
    I wonder if all those Trump supports that wanted DACA thrown out and also wanted the wall built will still support Trump? Both promised in the campaign and now he's changed his plan.
    Last edited by Eve1; 13th September 2017 at 07:51 PM.
    Thanks from Davocrat

  4. #4
    You'll see what I can do Singularity's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    22,536
    Thanks
    14375

    From
    Kansas
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    Trump is definitely up to something here.

    He knows he needs democrats for a number of things.

    He will get his wall one way or the other.

    I am very curious what they gave him in return for his reaching across the aisle like this.

    Infrastructure bill maybe?

    I suppose we will find out soon enough.

    Remember that Trump is a negotiator, he knows this game probably better than anyone. He's not doing it just for good press.
    Thus far the Democrats have not conceded anything to him in public, nor has the administration pointed to any concessions they've made. Why would the administration not want to do that?

  5. #5
    You'll see what I can do Singularity's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    22,536
    Thanks
    14375

    From
    Kansas
    "Cantaloupe Steve" King tweeted a couple of hours ago that if Trump did what he is reported to have done, it will forever ruin his credibility among the hardcore base and leave them feeling betrayed and demoralized. He's in a good position to know. King also sent a video to Trump's account of him promising "we will break the cycle of amnesty ... There will be no amnesty."
    Last edited by Singularity; 13th September 2017 at 09:03 PM.
    Thanks from Friday13, PACE and MaryAnne

  6. #6
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    33,645
    Thanks
    16771

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by RNG View Post
    Just in: an email from CNN



    I guess tRump liked the positive media coverage of the last time he threw the GOP under the bus he decided to do it again. Anything for the adulation he craves.
    So, wait a minute....

    "...agreed...to work out a package of border security, excluding the wall..."

    Soooooo????? Trump caved on the wall?!?!?!?!?!?

  7. #7
    Moderator HayJenn's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    38,988
    Thanks
    30423

    From
    CA
    Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    "Cantaloupe Steve" King tweeted a couple of hours ago that if Trump did what he is reported to have done, it will forever ruin his credibility among the hardcore base and leave them feeling betrayed and demoralized. He's in a good position to know. King also sent a video to Trump's account of him promising "we will break the cycle of amnesty ... There will be no amnesty."
    You mean throw the only supporters he has left under the bus?

    Will believe it when I see it actually happen. I trust him 0% and just because Nancy and Chuck make a statement does not mean it's going to happen.
    Thanks from Friday13

  8. #8
    You'll see what I can do Singularity's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    22,536
    Thanks
    14375

    From
    Kansas
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    So, wait a minute....

    "...agreed...to work out a package of border security, excluding the wall..."

    Soooooo????? Trump caved on the wall?!?!?!?!?!?
    Not precisely. He agreed that the wall would not be a precondition for pushing for/signing the Dream Act specifically. However it probably means that the wall is a practical impossibility --- the Democrats will not vote for it, and Trump doesn't seem to have the votes for it among Republicans. Most of them will vote Aye if forced, but they don't want to vote on it.
    Thanks from Friday13 and MaryAnne

  9. #9
    You'll see what I can do Singularity's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    22,536
    Thanks
    14375

    From
    Kansas
    Woooaaah man. Sean Hannity is publicly melting down on Twitter, blaming the Congressional GOP for "pushing" the president into "political suicide." He keeps saying "if it's true! If true!" He desperately doesn't want to believe that it is.

    Haven't seen the ol' boy like this since "Let me tell you about the negro..."
    Thanks from Friday13, Idiocracat and MaryAnne

  10. #10
    told you so Amelia's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    43,169
    Thanks
    24641

    From
    Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by RNG View Post
    Just in: an email from CNN

    Democratic leaders Sen. Chuck Schumer and Rep. Nancy Pelosi said following a meeting with President Donald Trump that they have "agreed" to a fix on DACA and resolved iron out a border-security plan -- "excluding" the US-Mexico border wall that was one of Trump's most memorable campaign promises.

    In an optimistic statement following the White House meeting, Schumer and Pelosi said the parties had "agreed to enshrine the protections of DACA into law quickly, and to work out a package of border security, excluding the wall, that's acceptable to both sides."

    "We had a very productive meeting at the White House with the President," they said.

    But White House press secretary Sarah Sanders pushed back on that assessment: "While DACA and border security were both discussed, excluding the wall was certainly not agreed to."

    It was not immediately clear what exactly was agreed to on Wednesday night, besides the details included in the Democrats' initial statement.
    I guess tRump liked the positive media coverage of the last time he threw the GOP under the bus he decided to do it again. Anything for the adulation he craves.

    This is tricky. How you phrased your comment -- I heard people on the Sunday news shows using similar language. Most of the media talking heads are people who WANT Trump to work with Democrats -- but they're commenting cynically on it.

    We WANT Trump's need for adulation to drive him to work with Democrats, but we give him a hard time for it, making working with Democrats potentially less rewarding.
    Thanks from Devil505

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Breaking: DACA Ended
    By Minotaur in forum Current Events
    Replies: 127
    Last Post: 6th September 2017, 07:47 AM
  2. What you need to know about DACA
    By DemoWhip in forum Current Events
    Replies: 209
    Last Post: 5th September 2017, 08:31 PM
  3. y do u think trump is handling DACA the way he is.
    By the watchman in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 5th September 2017, 11:26 AM
  4. DACA Renewal Network
    By DemoWhip in forum Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 5th September 2017, 09:31 AM
  5. What Could Happen to DACA Recipients Under Donald Trump
    By DemoWhip in forum Current Events
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 17th November 2016, 07:06 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed