Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 112
Thanks Tree69Thanks

Thread: Worlds "most premature baby" is now thriving

  1. #81
    Veteran Member Southern Dad's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    32,118
    Thanks
    6742

    From
    A Month Away
    Quote Originally Posted by labrea View Post
    Abortions at 21 weeks are rare, and usually preformed for medical reasons, why are you making this such a big issue?
    It's not a big issue. But the candidate for the Democrats in 2016 said that she supported a woman's right to abort right up until birth.

  2. #82
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,604
    Thanks
    17269

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
    How many of those unborn babies snuffed out might have lived? We will never know.
    Actually, based on actual evidence, and not a single anomaly, we have a pretty good reason to propose that none of themwould have lived. Just beause you want to pretend that an anomaly somehow alters the actual evidence supported by the data, that's your problem.

    See, this is the problem with theists. They live in a world where, in their minds, reality where anomalies (they call them "miracles"), negate actual data, and science. And they want the laws of the land to reflect that magical thinking.

  3. #83
    The Republican Agenda HadEnough2's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    12,981
    Thanks
    9246

    From
    Washington State
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    This will piss off the lefties.
    Why would you say something so stupid? Never mind, I know the answer. My Daughter was born premature and turned out beautiful and healthy. So no, I'm not pissed off. What an ass.
    Last edited by HadEnough2; 11th November 2017 at 07:50 AM.
    Thanks from Dragonfly5

  4. #84
    The Republican Agenda HadEnough2's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    12,981
    Thanks
    9246

    From
    Washington State
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    Why? Because one infant managed to beat insurmountable odds, this is proof of what, exactly?
    Only that he's an Asshole.

  5. #85
    Veteran Member Southern Dad's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    32,118
    Thanks
    6742

    From
    A Month Away
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    Actually, based on actual evidence, and not a single anomaly, we have a pretty good reason to propose that none of themwould have lived. Just beause you want to pretend that an anomaly somehow alters the actual evidence supported by the data, that's your problem.

    See, this is the problem with theists. They live in a world where, in their minds, reality where anomalies (they call them "miracles"), negate actual data, and science. And they want the laws of the land to reflect that magical thinking.
    Of course, you do not know for sure.

  6. #86
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    14,211
    Thanks
    3816

    From
    AK
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    Actually, based on actual evidence, and not a single anomaly, we have a pretty good reason to propose that none of themwould have lived. Just beause you want to pretend that an anomaly somehow alters the actual evidence supported by the data, that's your problem.

    See, this is the problem with theists. They live in a world where, in their minds, reality where anomalies (they call them "miracles"), negate actual data, and science. And they want the laws of the land to reflect that magical thinking.
    There are a lot of problems with theists and evidence. However I would not call this an "anomaly," rather it's the outlier on the distribution curve of extreme preterm survival stories. Every distribution has its outlier. As medical advancements improve preterm survival rates, the ethical/moral line in the sand about when abortion is justified will be challenged. Obviously.

  7. #87
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,604
    Thanks
    17269

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
    Of course, you do not know for sure.
    I don't know for sure that I won't be attacked by a polar bear when I leave the house. Should I be afraid to leave the house because this possibility exists? We do know with a statistical certainty that the likelihood of a 12-week-old fetus of being viable is so low that there is no reason to behave, or to pass any laws restricting the rights of an actual person based on a single anomaly.

  8. #88
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,604
    Thanks
    17269

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    There are a lot of problems with theists and evidence. However I would not call this an "anomaly," rather it's the outlier on the distribution curve of extreme preterm survival stories. Every distribution has its outlier. As medical advancements improve preterm survival rates, the ethical/moral line in the sand about when abortion is justified will be challenged. Obviously.
    Well...except that it is such an unlikely outlier that I would submit that it does fit the criteria for being an anomaly. I do agree with your assessment that as medical science advances, the equation will change with it. However, one anomaly (outlier, if you prefer) hardly serves as evidence that we have arrived at that point, yet.
    Last edited by Czernobog; 11th November 2017 at 01:54 PM.

  9. #89
    Veteran Member Isalexi's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    33,554
    Thanks
    20900

    From
    Maryland
    Quote Originally Posted by Blues63 View Post
    This is why every first year student should do a stats class. Statistics are easily manipulated and the same results can be twisted into a positive or a negative depending on the bias of the viewer.
    And the date of conception is often wrong.

  10. #90
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,604
    Thanks
    17269

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Blues63 View Post
    This is why every first year student should do a stats class. Statistics are easily manipulated and the same results can be twisted into a positive or a negative depending on the bias of the viewer.
    Thing is, Southern Dad isn't suggesting that the data has shifted. He is trying to make the case that this single anomalous (outlying) event is/should be sufficient to simply ignore the actual data, and what it tells us.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 18th July 2017, 07:59 PM
  2. Replies: 72
    Last Post: 13th September 2016, 08:53 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 6th September 2016, 08:28 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25th March 2016, 08:11 AM
  5. Replies: 316
    Last Post: 29th August 2015, 08:43 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed