Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 60
Thanks Tree20Thanks

Thread: Air Force faces 2000 pilot shortage

  1. #11
    Council Member Djinn's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    42,240
    Thanks
    26924

    From
    Pennsylvania, USA
    It sounds like all the branches are having trouble these days:

    Army lifts ban on waivers for recruits with history of some mental health issues

    People with a history of some types of mental health problems can now seek waivers to join the U.S. Army.

    Under an unannounced policy implemented in August, waivers can be sought by people with a history of "self-mutilation," bipolar disorder, depression and drug and alcohol abuse, reveal documents obtained by USA Today.

    ...

    The Army is trying to recruit 80,000 new soldiers by September 2018. To reach last year's target of 69,000 recruits, the Army accepted more people who did poorly on aptitude tests, increased the number of waivers granted for users of marijuana, and offered hundreds of millions of dollars in bonuses.
    Source

  2. #12
    New Member LT Greenbean's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    908
    Thanks
    111

    From
    south area
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinn View Post
    It sounds like all the branches are having trouble these days:



    Source
    very sad that the army is waiving these people in. they need to stop that asap. id rather them lift the ban on age waivers as there are plenty of late 30's physically fit men who cannot get in but someone who harmed themselves can....

  3. #13
    Council Member Djinn's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    42,240
    Thanks
    26924

    From
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by LT Greenbean View Post
    very sad that the army is waiving these people in. they need to stop that asap. id rather them lift the ban on age waivers as there are plenty of late 30's physically fit men who cannot get in but someone who harmed themselves can....
    It would be interesting to know how many in their late 30s would join the military, given the option. By their late 30s, most people are invested in careers and families.
    Thanks from jacobfitcher

  4. #14
    Veteran Member Chief's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    25,839
    Thanks
    6469

    From
    Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by LT Greenbean View Post
    99.99% of pilots are officers. there is no "enlistment" for them. they "branch" such as "aviation" or intelligence, or logistics...etc. their contracts are not enlistments. thats only for enlisted airmen
    glad i was able to clear up your confusion
    That's awesome that you teach Marines military stuff. Can you teach me stuff too? I'm not a Marine, but I am a Chief so I like to learn from guys like you.

    Okay, my brain is ready... go!
    Thanks from Hollywood

  5. #15
    New Member LT Greenbean's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    908
    Thanks
    111

    From
    south area
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief View Post
    That's awesome that you teach Marines military stuff. Can you teach me stuff too? I'm not a Marine, but I am a Chief so I like to learn from guys like you.

    Okay, my brain is ready... go!
    mock all you want. if you know how to work a search engine you know im right, and you know why he wont answer

  6. #16
    New Member LT Greenbean's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    908
    Thanks
    111

    From
    south area
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinn View Post
    It would be interesting to know how many in their late 30s would join the military, given the option. By their late 30s, most people are invested in careers and families.
    age waivers were second behind ADHD waivers last i heard. its been 10 or so years so i have no idea where the needs of waivers shifted to. usually its prior service navy or marines that ETS after 8 years, decide they want back in with a nice bonus so join army. now its tough for them to do that

  7. #17
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    1,707
    Thanks
    801

    From
    Maryland USA
    Quote Originally Posted by LT Greenbean View Post
    99.99% of pilots are officers. there is no "enlistment" for them. they "branch" such as "aviation" or intelligence, or logistics...etc. their contracts are not enlistments. thats only for enlisted airmen
    glad i was able to clear up your confusion
    I can only reply as a former commissioned officer in the U.S. Army. I was required to complete my initial commitment or contract. Upon completion, you are correct, there was no re-enlistment. I could choose to remain on active duty or the Army could discharge me from active duty if perceived I was not needed. Additionally, upon my discharge from active duty, I was required to remain on inactive reserve status. As such, while it would have taken WWIII, the Army could call me back to active duty, again if it perceived the need. As a 2nd Lt and then a 1st Lt, I was well aware that I was a junior officer. Not being a "ring knocker", I knew that the more experienced Sergeants (E-7 through E-9) saw me as an inexperienced kid, in a manner of speaking. Knowing how important they would be to me, I gave them the respect that they deserved.

  8. #18
    Veteran Member Chief's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    25,839
    Thanks
    6469

    From
    Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinn View Post
    It would be interesting to know how many in their late 30s would join the military, given the option. By their late 30s, most people are invested in careers and families.
    You could probably +up the reserves with guys like that. Then from the reserves, you could allow more transfers to active duty. There are enough people who want to fill the roles, but the military sometimes has its hands tied by rules and procedures.

  9. #19
    Established Member NeoVsMatrix's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    6,953
    Thanks
    5867

    From
    NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinn View Post
    It sounds like all the branches are having trouble these days:



    Source
    I don't know how long this shortage of new recruits is going on already.. given the current political climate, i would be not surprised if less people are willing to offer their services under the given circumstances, and given who's CiC.

  10. #20
    New Member LT Greenbean's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    908
    Thanks
    111

    From
    south area
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief View Post
    You could probably +up the reserves with guys like that. Then from the reserves, you could allow more transfers to active duty. There are enough people who want to fill the roles, but the military sometimes has its hands tied by rules and procedures.
    transfers from reserves to active are really tough (assuming you are referring to enlisted. officer is much more difficult). the reserve unit grants the conditional release. then they need to secure a recruit from the pool. with more and more recruits chaptering out before basic/AIT or OSUT then ever before, it's depleting reservist populations and budgets

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. US Air Force Faces 500 Fighter Pilot Shortfall
    By ptif219 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 13th May 2016, 06:10 PM
  2. Female pilot in Russian Air Force???
    By The Man in forum Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 4th October 2015, 07:38 PM
  3. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11th August 2014, 07:10 AM
  4. Pp-2000
    By The Man in forum Warfare
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 3rd November 2013, 12:13 PM
  5. Want more of 2000-2008?
    By Devil505 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 17th October 2012, 11:39 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed