Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 67
Thanks Tree38Thanks

Thread: Flynn told associate Russia sanctions would be ‘ripped up,’

  1. #11
    Cat-tastic Babba's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    65,340
    Thanks
    45950

    From
    So. Md.
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    I doubt that anyone will be prosecuted for violating the Logan Act, although violating it in this manner does amount to collusion with a foreign adversary, and that's not behavior that anyone should be proud of, whether or not they are prosecuted for their actions. It is more likely the tangential crimes that were committed due to the collusion with the Russians that will lead to prosecutions, as has been the case thus far.
    You should read through this. Violating the Logan Act is not a minor thing as many would have us believe.

    https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/sta...16893448245248
    Thanks from MaryAnne

  2. #12
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    60,153
    Thanks
    11000

    From
    By the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by HayJenn View Post
    Nope the President can, on his own, pass certain sanctions, on his own.

    https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/22/2798
    No he can't.

    He can delay them for a brief period but he has to abide by them OR prove to congress he has done something just as effective.

    Back to your OP.

    There is nothing wrong with a president being against sanctions or supporting sanctions, those are his administrations beliefs which he is allowed to pursue through the proper channels.

    If an administration thinks sanctions against a certain nation should be lifted that is their right.

    I think sanctions against Russia are stupid also.

  3. #13
    Cat-tastic Babba's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    65,340
    Thanks
    45950

    From
    So. Md.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    No he can't.

    He can delay them for a brief period but he has to abide by them OR prove to congress he has done something just as effective.

    Back to your OP.

    There is nothing wrong with a president being against sanctions or supporting sanctions, those are his administrations beliefs which he is allowed to pursue through the proper channels.

    If an administration thinks sanctions against a certain nation should be lifted that is their right.

    I think sanctions against Russia are stupid also.
    You're entitled to your opinion. But members of Trump's campaign and transition team were not entitled by law to negotiate with a foreign adversary before Trump was inaugurated and it appears they did.
    Thanks from Dragonfly5, HayJenn and EnigmaO01

  4. #14
    quichierbichen
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    61,830
    Thanks
    33541

    From
    in my head
    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    At least one member of the Trump campaign violated the Logan Act. But it's looking like many members of the campaign knew. I'll bet they're quaking in their boots.
    Maybe someone can explain it to me, but I don't see why this story is significant. If this phone call took place after Trump took the oath, it's not a Logan Act violation. A transition team can PLAN whatever it wants. How is Flynn's phone call, in itself, problematic?
    Thanks from bajisima

  5. #15
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    60,153
    Thanks
    11000

    From
    By the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    You're entitled to your opinion. But members of Trump's campaign and transition team were not entitled by law to negotiate with a foreign adversary before Trump was inaugurated and it appears they did.
    Talking is not negotiating.

    In fact, until he was inaugurated it wasn't possible to negotiate anything.

    Soon to be presidents make promises to all types before they actually become president you know.

    Its not against any law, this is just the left finally hitting the bottom of the barrel.

    lol

  6. #16
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    60,153
    Thanks
    11000

    From
    By the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasselas View Post
    Maybe someone can explain it to me, but I don't see why this story is significant. If this phone call took place after Trump took the oath, it's not a Logan Act violation. How is Flynn's phone call, in itself, problematic?
    Its not.

  7. #17
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    33,312
    Thanks
    30711

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    You should read through this. Violating the Logan Act is not a minor thing as many would have us believe.

    https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/sta...16893448245248
    I know that it's serious and I understand why. It's just that it's a difficult case to prove in court.
    Thanks from EnigmaO01

  8. #18
    quichierbichen
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    61,830
    Thanks
    33541

    From
    in my head
    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    You should read through this. Violating the Logan Act is not a minor thing as many would have us believe.
    And yet it's hard to take the threat of the Logan Act too seriously when no one has been convicted under that statute since it was adopted nearly 230 years ago.
    Thanks from bmanmcfly, EnigmaO01 and bajisima

  9. #19
    Veteran Member bmanmcfly's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    14,532
    Thanks
    2368

    From
    C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasselas View Post
    And yet it's hard to take the threat of the Logan Act too seriously when no one has been convicted under that statute since it was adopted nearly 230 years ago.
    Also that there are literally dozens of democrats who are on film in violation of the Logan act, but nobody cared then.

  10. #20
    Veteran Member bmanmcfly's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    14,532
    Thanks
    2368

    From
    C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    Talking is not negotiating.

    In fact, until he was inaugurated it wasn't possible to negotiate anything.

    Soon to be presidents make promises to all types before they actually become president you know.

    Its not against any law, this is just the left finally hitting the bottom of the barrel.

    lol
    I wouldn't say that too soon, I figured where things were at 6 months ago was hitting rock bottom..., i think it's been at least 3-4 floors deeper since then.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 18th May 2017, 06:42 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 17th February 2017, 04:13 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 16th February 2017, 04:15 PM
  4. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 10th February 2017, 02:20 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10th February 2017, 08:21 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed