Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 154
Thanks Tree90Thanks

Thread: Fusion GPS must comply with subpoena

  1. #11
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    38,990
    Thanks
    37220

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kmiller1610 View Post
    What I care about is not subject your assessment of its correctness. It does not matter how many members of the press are colluding with politicians and advocacy groups (though I suspect it's not insignificant). It's a fundamental violation of journalistic ethics. It's my campaign. I think it's vitally important that it be confronted.

    This investigation could reveal a money trail that connects politicians to advocacy groups to members of the press. That's a really big deal, TO ME. The Russians have been trying to corrupt elections for a hundred years. Apparently Obama didn't care to stop them and the press has decided to blame a private citizen running for office.

    Can anyone see the problem with this?
    I can always see the problem with any assertion that you make in very short order.

  2. #12
    Civis americanus borealis Singularity's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    27,511
    Thanks
    18808

    From
    Kansas
    Quote Originally Posted by kmiller1610 View Post
    What I care about is not subject your assessment of its correctness. It does not matter how many members of the press are colluding with politicians and advocacy groups (though I suspect it's not insignificant). It's a fundamental violation of journalistic ethics. It's my campaign. I think it's vitally important that it be confronted.

    This investigation could reveal a money trail that connects politicians to advocacy groups to members of the press. That's a really big deal, TO ME. The Russians have been trying to corrupt elections for a hundred years. Apparently Obama didn't care to stop them and the press has decided to blame a private citizen running for office.

    Can anyone see the problem with this?
    Of course it is, man. You're posting it on this forum, your point of view is subject to whomever wants to critique it for whatever reason. Don't be ridiculous, but if you really feel raw about a ... basic concept of debate on a political forum ... add me to your ignore list. "Problem" solved.

    If you don't want to do that, the investigation you're speaking of has one fatal flaw: Timing. Did Congressional Republicans want to know about the relations between members of the media and Fusion GPS on Jan. 3, 2017, at the start of their current term --- when Fusion GPS and its political activities were very much a public affair? By all outward appearances, no. Did they want to know about it at any significant juncture prior to September? Doesn't seem so.

    What changed? Robert Mueller started bringing people to trial.
    Thanks from NightSwimmer, Babba and MaryAnne

  3. #13
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    26,946
    Thanks
    5080

    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    I can always see the problem with any assertion that you make in very short order.
    You all were concerned with collusion and our election. So here we are . Follow it all as thoroughly as Mueller is. Indict everyone along the way.

  4. #14
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    38,990
    Thanks
    37220

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by THOR View Post
    You all were concerned with collusion and our election. So here we are . Follow it all as thoroughly as Mueller is. Indict everyone along the way.
    You can't indict people who have committed no crime. Seems your ilk would have figured that out after 8 years of bullshit "scandal" investigations coming up empty handed.
    Thanks from EnigmaO01

  5. #15
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    26,946
    Thanks
    5080

    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    You can't indict people who have committed no crime. Seems your ilk would have figured that out after 8 years of bullshit "scandal" investigations coming up empty handed.
    You will surely find the slightest of offense. A scheme this big will have a lot of bad actors in it. This may take us deep into the Obama administration .

  6. #16
    Cat-tastic Babba's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    68,731
    Thanks
    50735

    From
    So. Md.
    Quote Originally Posted by kmiller1610 View Post
    What I care about is not subject your assessment of its correctness. It does not matter how many members of the press are colluding with politicians and advocacy groups (though I suspect it's not insignificant). It's a fundamental violation of journalistic ethics. It's my campaign. I think it's vitally important that it be confronted.

    This investigation could reveal a money trail that connects politicians to advocacy groups to members of the press. That's a really big deal, TO ME. The Russians have been trying to corrupt elections for a hundred years. Apparently Obama didn't care to stop them and the press has decided to blame a private citizen running for office.

    Can anyone see the problem with this?
    You have absolutely NO evidence for your conspiracy theory. You think because of that Fox News video about Benghazi you have evidence of the news media colluding with Democrats or some such nonsense. But your evidence is bogus. Just like Fox News is bogus. It could be that some members of the news media have made donations to left wing groups. But that wouldn't prove any kind of collusion between the press and the Democrats and the Clintons and the FBI and the CIA and whoever else you think is in on the conspiracy.

    And I have shown you repeatedly the things that Obama did and attempted to do in response the the Russian meddling. And I showed you how the Republicans in Congress blew him and the Russian meddling off. And I showed you how the states were leery of the federal government having anything to do with what the states consider a strictly state issue, namely how they run elections.

    But, as usual, you make up in your head what you think is "really" going on and no evidence or facts ever dissuades you from your original theory no matter how wrong you are.

  7. #17
    Civis americanus borealis Singularity's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    27,511
    Thanks
    18808

    From
    Kansas
    Quote Originally Posted by THOR View Post
    You all were concerned with collusion and our election. So here we are . Follow it all as thoroughly as Mueller is. Indict everyone along the way.
    As addressed in the last post, it is not illegal to accept money in secret in exchange for using one's gravitas as a journalist to promote a certain cause or spin a certain narrative. It's highly, highly unethical, but corruption laws do not extend to the media --- and likely cannot, as any such activity would be protected by the First Amendment except in cases of pre-planned, explicit libel (at least in cases of involving "reporting" on public figures).

    Calling for the government to indict people for doing things that are ethically problematic but are not illegal is just a waste of time at best. That assumption rests on a notion that is extraordinarily charitable to your point of view. As I said:

    Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    [This ruling] does not, in any way, demonstrate that the Republican case against Fusion ... is validated. It merely shows that Fusion tried to evade a subpoena, a goodly federal judge ... told them to quit fucking around, and now we get to find out if the House will do something with that subpoena or if it was all a waste of time.

    Given the track record of House investigative committees for the last oh... forever... I lean toward the latter.
    Barring major developments, I will stand by that viewpoint confidently.

    This investigation is a distraction, spawned no earlier than the point at which the Russia affair began to cause Trump real, tangible problems that lassoed former high-ranking aides, at least one of whom left the campaign in good standing. If House Republicans are confrontational, but ultimately face facts, as they did in various Benghazi final reports, they will conclude that while the situation could have been handled better by Fusion et al., and it certainly could have, no evidence of significant illegal or unethical behavior can be found.
    Last edited by Singularity; 6th January 2018 at 06:32 AM.

  8. #18
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    38,990
    Thanks
    37220

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by THOR View Post
    You will surely find the slightest of offense. A scheme this big will have a lot of bad actors in it. This may take us deep into the Obama administration .
    Maybe you guys will finally find his birth certificate.
    Thanks from EnigmaO01 and jacobfitcher

  9. #19
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    26,946
    Thanks
    5080

    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    Maybe you guys will finally find his birth certificate.
    Maybe we will find a connection to Loretta Lynch.

  10. #20
    Civis americanus borealis Singularity's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    27,511
    Thanks
    18808

    From
    Kansas
    RE: The bit about Benghazi, I practically grabbed my TV and threw it directly into the dumpster through my window yesterday.

    I had thought, before all this nonsense even happened, that we had seen the lowest extent of what the Congress is capable of. I thought they will grandstand, they will accuse, they will gin up as much outrage as possible on national TV, but when it comes time to taking votes on actions by the Congress of the United States against specific human beings, they will make some effort to cross their T's and do their I's. Because they know that history does matter and that if they directly act to use their powers as such a naked, corrupt political tool as we may see ... it won't forgive them.

    Then I saw the news that Lindsey Graham and Chuck Grassley are attempting, perhaps for the first time, to ask the federal government to indict someone on crimes that the Congress has not issued findings of fact on and has not spoken to; a man who has not otherwise done anything to offend them OTHER THAN say and write nasty things about the president of their party. Pure, unadulterated banana republic territory. And Graham himself has said nastier things about Trump, repeatedly, without prompting! Steele was conversely doing his job, however much you want to disagree with it.

    The FBI will wipe its ass with their request, but that's not the point. We are seeing some serious, unprecedented public service decay. These people have got to go.
    Last edited by Singularity; 6th January 2018 at 06:45 AM.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 16th October 2017, 12:55 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 13th August 2014, 11:56 AM
  3. The usual suspects refuse to comply with federal law
    By BoiseBo in forum Current Events
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 24th May 2014, 02:53 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21st November 2011, 09:54 AM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 16th January 2008, 12:09 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed