Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
Thanks Tree20Thanks

Thread: Hospital apologizes for dumping a patient out in the cold

  1. #1
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    42,417
    Thanks
    25032

    From
    New Hampshire

    Hospital apologizes for dumping a patient out in the cold

    The University of Maryland Medical Center’s top executive apologized to a patient who was discharged and found on the street wearing only a thin hospital gown and socks outside its midtown facility, calling it an isolated incident.

    “We take full responsibility for this failure,” Dr. Mohan Suntha said during a Thursday afternoon news conference. The hospital did not provide “basic humanity and compassion,” he added. The hospital was thrust into the national spotlight and social media erupted with outrage after a viral video showed security guards leaving a disoriented woman from the University of Maryland Medical Center Midtown on the street, barely dressed, when the temperature was in the 30s. It’s the latest hospital across the country accused of a practice known as “patient dumping” or “hospital dumping” in which patients who are homeless, mentally ill or both are released to the streets.

    “This incident is very visual because it happened on camera,” Breidenstine said. “I am sure it happens more than we know. But it is hard to know how much because we don’t have the data.”

    University of Maryland hospital apologizes for its failure to discharged patient found on street in hospital gown - Baltimore Sun
    https://www.commondreams.org/news/20...d-medicare-all

  2. #2
    Cat-tastic Babba's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    66,173
    Thanks
    46961

    From
    So. Md.
    Disgusting. Yes, I'm sure it happens a whole hell of a lot more often than anyone knows. *spit*
    Thanks from Hollywood, DemoWhip and labrea

  3. #3
    Southern Strategy Liberal OldGaffer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    38,075
    Thanks
    39993

    From
    Nashville, TN
    Trumpcare...in all its glory...
    Thanks from DemoWhip

  4. #4
    Veteran Member PACE's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    24,120
    Thanks
    20320

    From
    None of your business
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    The University of Maryland Medical Center’s top executive apologized to a patient who was discharged and found on the street wearing only a thin hospital gown and socks outside its midtown facility, calling it an isolated incident.

    “We take full responsibility for this failure,” Dr. Mohan Suntha said during a Thursday afternoon news conference. The hospital did not provide “basic humanity and compassion,” he added. The hospital was thrust into the national spotlight and social media erupted with outrage after a viral video showed security guards leaving a disoriented woman from the University of Maryland Medical Center Midtown on the street, barely dressed, when the temperature was in the 30s. It’s the latest hospital across the country accused of a practice known as “patient dumping” or “hospital dumping” in which patients who are homeless, mentally ill or both are released to the streets.

    “This incident is very visual because it happened on camera,” Breidenstine said. “I am sure it happens more than we know. But it is hard to know how much because we don’t have the data.”

    University of Maryland hospital apologizes for its failure to discharged patient found on street in hospital gown - Baltimore Sun
    https://www.commondreams.org/news/20...d-medicare-all
    They are sorry they got caught
    Thanks from Babba, Dangermouse and Hollywood

  5. #5
    Dick with my Buzz...Try DebateDrone's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    32,904
    Thanks
    27836

    From
    SWUSA
    I don't know why they would apologize. Clearly this is a policy of the Hospital.

    Every hospital releases patients with a hospital staff escort to out of doors. If there is anyone there to receive the released patient is clearly not a concern to some hospitals.

  6. #6
    Member LT Greenbean's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    2,381
    Thanks
    417

    From
    south area
    Quote Originally Posted by OldGaffer View Post
    Trumpcare...in all its glory...
    *secures tin foil hat*

    Yea man, Trump care did this!

  7. #7
    Moderator HCProf's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    18,051
    Thanks
    9672

    From
    USA
    The hospital I work knows well in advance if a patient is homeless...at registration. If a patient does not have anyone present at discharge with no place to go, we bring in social workers to find them lodging and use it as an opportunity to place a homeless person in a home, advocate for Medicaid benefits, and other services. We can usually place them by the end of the day. But, we are not the University of Maryland and community services is a big part of what we do as a safety net hospital. This is a shameless disgrace. We do experience a lot of patient shifting tho....the Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals will divert an ambulance to our hospital if the patient does not have insurance or homeless. We get them all the time. Both hospitals use the excuse that the beds or ER is full. We know better tho.

  8. #8
    Southern Strategy Liberal OldGaffer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    38,075
    Thanks
    39993

    From
    Nashville, TN
    Quote Originally Posted by LT Greenbean View Post
    *secures tin foil hat*

    Yea man, Trump care did this!
    Yeah, and it is going to get worse, wait til they gut your social security and Medicare...
    Thanks from Dangermouse and DemoWhip

  9. #9
    Member LT Greenbean's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    2,381
    Thanks
    417

    From
    south area
    Quote Originally Posted by OldGaffer View Post
    Yeah, and it is going to get worse, wait til they gut your social security and Medicare...
    How pathetic. It was hospital policy. The fact you actually think this was caused by Trumpcare proves the extremist point I made in the other thread.

    I'm glad I have more posts to quote!
    Thanks from publius3

  10. #10
    Southern Strategy Liberal OldGaffer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    38,075
    Thanks
    39993

    From
    Nashville, TN
    Quote Originally Posted by LT Greenbean View Post
    How pathetic. It was hospital policy. The fact you actually think this was caused by Trumpcare proves the extremist point I made in the other thread.

    I'm glad I have more posts to quote!
    The fact that you think it was OK to toss her out in the cold tells me all I need to know about you.
    Thanks from jacobfitcher and DemoWhip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Hospital patient forced to share room with dead body
    By The Man in forum Current Events
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 21st March 2016, 02:33 PM
  2. Ebola patient Thomas Eric Duncan dies at Dallas hospital
    By meridian5455 in forum Current Events
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 10th October 2014, 02:25 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 5th October 2014, 04:51 PM
  4. Patient dumping
    By Dr Sampson Simpson in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 25th September 2013, 07:23 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed