Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 149
Thanks Tree158Thanks

Thread: Kentucky imposes work requirements for Medicaid

  1. #51
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    52,901
    Thanks
    25344

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by HCProf View Post
    If a person is injured due to work, their medical care is paid by workers comp insurance.
    Yes. But if not injured due to work - say, if they are unemployed - then they may not even get medical care.

    Quote Originally Posted by HCProf View Post
    The problem would be, are there jobs for them.
    KY does not seem interested in that....

  2. #52
    "Mr. Original". the watchman's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    76,936
    Thanks
    39940

    From
    becoming more and more
    Quote Originally Posted by HCProf View Post
    Not really, just a poor State trying to make ends meet. Your argument makes zero sense. Workers comp is used for workplace injuries, not Medicaid.
    oh, it's my argument that doesn't make any sense. It's likely to cost the state more to try to enforce this stupid requirement. Presuming that they even can. Then, there's going to be lawsuits. I never said anything about workers comp.

    Check this article out.

    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-the...ould-backfire/
    Thanks from Blueneck

  3. #53
    Moderator HCProf's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    17,906
    Thanks
    9614

    From
    USA
    Quote Originally Posted by HayJenn View Post
    Well since the vast majority of people on Medicaid would be exempted - how much do they really they can really raise out of this proposal?
    Every dollar counts when trying to balance a slim budget....especially since the middle class is gone. They may not see any benefit, but at least they are trying to balance the budget, if they don't, more could fall off Medicaid or have services cut to the point it is useless. Do you really have a problem with people who are able to work and jobs are available...to actually contribute to their benefits through taxes? Why would a healthy person not work?

  4. #54
    Moderator HayJenn's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    44,862
    Thanks
    34629

    From
    CA
    Quote Originally Posted by HCProf View Post
    Every dollar counts when trying to balance a slim budget....especially since the middle class is gone. They may not see any benefit, but at least they are trying to balance the budget, if they don't, more could fall off Medicaid or have services cut to the point it is useless. Do you really have a problem with people who are able to work and jobs are available...to actually contribute to their benefits through taxes? Why would a healthy person not work?
    All states need to balance budgets. They usually don't do so though on the backs of the poorest among them.

    I have no objection to healthy people working - but again, most of the recipients of Medicaid would be exempt.

  5. #55
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    53,380
    Thanks
    30666

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronwyn View Post
    Good, I'm glad you agree.
    Medicaid beneficiaries who do not seek medical care are virtually cost neutral.
    I'm baffled that you sincerely believe millions of healthy people are gaming the system to get a benefit they don't need and don't use.
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey, sweettee and Blueneck

  6. #56
    Moderator HCProf's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    17,906
    Thanks
    9614

    From
    USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    Yes. But if not injured due to work - say, if they are unemployed - then they may not even get medical care.


    KY does not seem interested in that....
    Do you really think they would propose this if jobs were not available? If a person is injured and cannot work, they can apply for Medicaid, even if the injury is temporary and the benefits are temporary until they are able to work. If they never recover, then disability social security is a option. Besides, no one cares about this State anyways...they are just a fly over State with people who the elitists like to ridicule. Now, after the State is broke and is trying to stay afloat...we have outrage.

  7. #57
    Moderator HayJenn's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    44,862
    Thanks
    34629

    From
    CA
    Quote Originally Posted by HCProf View Post
    Do you really think they would propose this if jobs were not available? If a person is injured and cannot work, they can apply for Medicaid, even if the injury is temporary and the benefits are temporary until they are able to work. Besides, no one cares about this State anyways...they are just a fly over State with people who the elitists like to ridicule. Now, after the State is broke and is trying to stay afloat...we have outrage.
    Looks like Kentucky has an unemployment rate of only 5%. Slightly higher than the national average.

  8. #58
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    52,901
    Thanks
    25344

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    I'm baffled that you sincerely believe millions of healthy people are gaming the system to get a benefit they don't need and don't use.
    In Conservative-Land, everyone is truly healthy and able to work, without medical care, and therefore medical care is a luxury that should only go to people who can afford it. And if they cannot afford it, it is their own damn fault.

    Not that that is in any way connected to reality, but the ideology allows them to absolve themselves of responsibility.

  9. #59
    Moderator HCProf's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    17,906
    Thanks
    9614

    From
    USA
    Quote Originally Posted by HayJenn View Post
    All states need to balance budgets. They usually don't do so though on the backs of the poorest among them.

    I have no objection to healthy people working - but again, most of the recipients of Medicaid would be exempt.
    But if the poorest among them are able to work....it really should not be a issue. We are not sure how many people would be exempt or not. Republicans have been throwing money at them for so long just to keep their vote...there could be more than you think.

  10. #60
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    52,901
    Thanks
    25344

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by HCProf View Post
    Do you really think they would propose this if jobs were not available?
    Yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by HCProf View Post
    If a person is injured and cannot work, they can apply for Medicaid, even if the injury is temporary and the benefits are temporary until they are able to work. If they never recover, then disability social security is a option.
    And one is able to live off of SSD, or SSI? Not really, in most cases.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Alabama replaces work requirements on food stamps
    By Southern Dad in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 127
    Last Post: 6th July 2017, 06:43 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 24th March 2017, 03:21 PM
  3. Replies: 121
    Last Post: 8th February 2017, 02:01 PM
  4. Work Requirements Don’t Cut Poverty, Evidence Shows
    By Babba in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 23rd June 2016, 08:14 PM
  5. Replies: 60
    Last Post: 8th August 2012, 12:03 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed