Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 103
Thanks Tree82Thanks

Thread: Student Who Recorded Teacherís Anti-Military Rant Was Invited to White House

  1. #21
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    61,020
    Thanks
    30263

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by libertariat720 View Post
    I'm sure many students need to or want to record their lectures so they can go back and listen to anything they might have missed.
    I never saw any student do that in high school, or even college. Even in law school it was rather uncommon, where students were much more rigorous than college, and even then it was usually for someone who was not in class that day for some reason.
    Thanks from Friday13

  2. #22
    Council Member Djinn's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    45,518
    Thanks
    29895

    From
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by libertariat720 View Post
    It shouldn't be a crime if it is.

    You're telling me that a student can't record their teacher without asking them first? I'm sure many students need to or want to record their lectures so they can go back and listen to anything they might have missed.
    In college, it's uncommon, but not unheard of. However, the recording devices are placed on the desk, in front of the student, in plain sight of the professor.

  3. #23
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    61,020
    Thanks
    30263

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by boontito View Post
    Nah, you and the #TrumpCult who are betraying actual U.S. heroes like those in our military and law enforcement are just trying to water down the word "hero".
    "I like people who weren't captured."

  4. #24
    Veteran Member aboutenough's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    55,034
    Thanks
    2977

    From
    Washington state
    Quote Originally Posted by boontito View Post
    Nah, you and the #TrumpCult who are betraying actual U.S. heroes like those in our military and law enforcement are just trying to water down the word "hero". Next think you know you'll be saying you're a hero because you claim you don't know how to take a photo of someone who is gay.
    Why was the student invited to the Pentagon and White House if heís not a hero? Iíll bet you thought Clockboy was a hero, didnít Obama invite him to the White House?

  5. #25
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    61,020
    Thanks
    30263

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    Why was the student invited to the Pentagon and White House if he’s not a hero?
    It is a public relations stunt. Trump would not know a real hero when presented with one. He likes people who were not captured. He "always felt that [he] was in the military" because he attended a military boarding school and "dealt with those people."

  6. #26
    Nuisance Factor Yeti 8 Jungle Swing Champion, YetiSports 4 - Albatross Overload Champion, YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion boontito's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    93,918
    Thanks
    71117

    From
    <-- "Meme Boy"
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    Why was the student invited to the Pentagon and White House if heís not a hero? Iíll bet you thought Clockboy was a hero, didnít Obama invite him to the White House?
    Everyone invited to the White House is a hero in your opinion? You sure you want to go with that?

  7. #27
    Human Bean KnotaFrayed's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    14,456
    Thanks
    11937

    From
    Here
    Where's the balance?

    Two wrongs, do not make a right.

    Simply stated, if you would not want something to go on the record, don't say or do it.

    On the other hand, there is the question of surreptitious gathering of evidence and whether those gathering the evidence lured someone into something they would not otherwise have done/said.

    The teacher's rant is out of place in the classroom, without an intent to include it as a part of some curriculum on opposing views. There is nothing illegal about voicing one's opposition about our military or other Americans and American institutions. If there were, our President would have been arrested long ago.

    I also do not believe going back to this era, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_...ties_Committee is one most would consider a part of making America great again.

    It seems irresponsible, dangerous and no less taking advantage of a child and a public platform to invite the child to the White House for taping the teacher, because the teacher's point of view on the military could be politically used to promote conformity to certain behavior that opposes freedom of speech that voices anything, but praise for all things American, even as the President is constantly using his public platform to disparage the FBI and all kinds of other Americans (including his predecessor) and American institutions.

    American needs to be aware of the past, to avoid repeating the worst parts of it.

    "Political scientist Dr. Lawrence Britt recently wrote an article about fascism ("Fascism Anyone?," Free Inquiry, Spring 2003, page 20). Studying the fascist regimes of Hitler (Germany), Mussolini (Italy), Franco (Spain), Suharto (Indonesia), and Pinochet (Chile), Dr. Britt found they all had 14 elements in common. He calls these the identifying characteristics of fascism. The excerpt is in accordance with the magazine's policy."

    "The 14 characteristics are:"

    "Powerful and Continuing Nationalism
    Fascist regimes tend to make constant use of patriotic mottos, slogans, symbols, songs, and other paraphernalia. Flags are seen everywhere, as are flag symbols on clothing and in public displays."


    "Disdain for the Recognition of Human Rights
    Because of fear of enemies and the need for security, the people in fascist regimes are persuaded that human rights can be ignored in certain cases because of "need." The people tend to look the other way or even approve of torture, summary executions, assassinations, long incarcerations of prisoners, etc."

    "Identification of Enemies/Scapegoats as a Unifying Cause
    The people are rallied into a unifying patriotic frenzy over the need to eliminate a perceived common threat or foe: racial , ethnic or religious minorities; liberals; communists; socialists, terrorists, etc."


    "Supremacy of the Military
    Even when there are widespread domestic problems, the military is given a disproportionate amount of government funding, and the domestic agenda is neglected. Soldiers and military service are glamorized."


    "Rampant Sexism
    The governments of fascist nations tend to be almost exclusively male-dominated. Under fascist regimes, traditional gender roles are made more rigid. Opposition to abortion is high, as is homophobia and anti-gay legislation and national policy."

    "Controlled Mass Media
    Sometimes to media is directly controlled by the government, but in other cases, the media is indirectly controlled by government regulation, or sympathetic media spokespeople and executives. Censorship, especially in war time, is very common."

    "Obsession with National Security
    Fear is used as a motivational tool by the government over the masses."

    "Religion and Government are Intertwined
    Governments in fascist nations tend to use the most common religion in the nation as a tool to manipulate public opinion. Religious rhetoric and terminology is common from government leaders, even when the major tenets of the religion are diametrically opposed to the government's policies or actions."

    "Corporate Power is Protected
    The industrial and business aristocracy of a fascist nation often are the ones who put the government leaders into power, creating a mutually beneficial business/government relationship and power elite."

    "Labor Power is Suppressed
    Because the organizing power of labor is the only real threat to a fascist government, labor unions are either eliminated entirely, or are severely suppressed . "

    "Disdain for Intellectuals and the Arts
    Fascist nations tend to promote and tolerate open hostility to higher education, and academia. It is not uncommon for professors and other academics to be censored or even arrested. Free expression in the arts is openly attacked, and governments often refuse to fund the arts."

    "Obsession with Crime and Punishment
    Under fascist regimes, the police are given almost limitless power to enforce laws. The people are often willing to overlook police abuses and even forego civil liberties in the name of patriotism. There is often a national police force with virtually unlimited power in fascist nations."

    "Rampant Cronyism and Corruption
    Fascist regimes almost always are governed by groups of friends and associates who appoint each other to government positions and use governmental power and authority to protect their friends from accountability. It is not uncommon in fascist regimes for national resources and even treasures to be appropriated or even outright stolen by government leaders."

    "Fraudulent Elections
    Sometimes elections in fascist nations are a complete sham. Other times elections are manipulated by smear campaigns against or even assassination of opposition candidates, use of legislation to control voting numbers or political district boundaries, and manipulation of the media. Fascist nations also typically use their judiciaries to manipulate or control elections."


    https://ratical.org/ratville/CAH/fasci14chars.html

    There are both positive and negative elements of free speech being upheld when it criticizes the "sacred"]

    There are both positive and negative elements of informing the public to something some people may find objectionable.

    I a highly political and polarized society, what we are seeing in this case are a teacher and a President, abusing their power to exploit the minds of children to their personal political views.

    None of it is good, but perhaps, what we may learn from more discussion about it.





    "The President is merely the most important among a large number of public servants. He should be supported or opposed exactly to the degree which is warranted by his good conduct or bad conduct, his efficiency or inefficiency in rendering loyal, able, and disinterested service to the Nation as a whole. Therefore it is absolutely necessary that there should be full liberty to tell the truth about his acts, and this means that it is exactly necessary to blame him when he does wrong as to praise him when he does right. Any other attitude in an American citizen is both base and servile. To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public. Nothing but the truth should be spoken about him or any one else. But it is even more important to tell the truth, pleasant or unpleasant, about him than about any one else."

    -Theodore Roosevelt — The Kansas City Star, 7 May 1918


    "Some day there is going to be a man sitting in my present chair who has not been raised in the military services and who will have little understanding of where slashes in their estimates can be made with little or no damage. If that should happen while we still have the state of tension that now exists in the world, I shudder to think of what could happen in this country …"
    Dwight D. Eisenhower, letter to Everett E. ("Swede") Hazlett, August 20, 1956.—William Bragg Ewald, Jr., Eisenhower the President, p. 248 (1981). Date of the letter provided by the Eisenhower Library, Abilene, Kansas.

    "In the various states of society, armies are recruited from very different motives. Barbarians are urged by the love of war; the citizens of a free republic may be prompted by a principle of duty; the subjects, or at least the nobles, of a monarchy, are animated by a sentiment of honor; but the timid and luxurious inhabitants of a declining empire must be allured into the service by the hopes of profit, or compelled by the dread of punishment".
    Edward Gibbon, The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, Volume II, Chapter XVII
    Last edited by KnotaFrayed; 12th February 2018 at 08:54 AM.

  8. #28
    Veteran Member aboutenough's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    55,034
    Thanks
    2977

    From
    Washington state
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    It is a public relations stunt. Trump would not know a real hero when presented with one. He likes people who were not captured. He "always felt that [he] was in the military" because he attended a military boarding school and "dealt with those people."
    What’s that have to do with thanking the student for doing the right thing and turning in that teacher?

  9. #29
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    61,020
    Thanks
    30263

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    What’s that have to do with thanking the student for doing the right thing and turning in that teacher?
    Read for comprehension. It is a response to your claim that the kid is a "hero."

    Here is a story about real heroes:

    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/colorad...-live-updates/
    Last edited by Ian Jeffrey; 12th February 2018 at 05:38 PM.

  10. #30
    Moderator HCProf's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    21,150
    Thanks
    11128

    From
    USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinn View Post
    In college, it's uncommon, but not unheard of. However, the recording devices are placed on the desk, in front of the student, in plain sight of the professor.
    In the last ten years recording lectures has dwindled. The text book companion resources are really good and death by Power Point is on its way out. Tutoring is a lot better now as well.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 8th December 2017, 10:15 AM
  2. Replies: 119
    Last Post: 18th September 2015, 04:00 PM
  3. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 11th August 2011, 03:44 PM
  4. Officer's racist Rant Recorded
    By Babylon in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 23rd March 2010, 09:25 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed