Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 71
Thanks Tree54Thanks

Thread: Student Who Recorded Teacherís Anti-Military Rant Was Invited to White House

  1. #41
    Veteran Member TNVolunteer73's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    31,396
    Thanks
    8055

    From
    TN
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    John McCain
    Trump called him a Hero.






    President Donald Trump is hailing Sen. John McCain as an "American hero" today as the Arizona senator, under treatment for a brain tumor, returns to the Capitol for a vote on the Republican health care bill.

  2. #42
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    54,705
    Thanks
    26241

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by TNVolunteer73 View Post
    Trump called him a Hero.

    President Donald Trump is hailing Sen. John McCain as an "American hero" today as the Arizona senator, under treatment for a brain tumor, returns to the Capitol for a vote on the Republican health care bill.
    Was that before or after he said:

    “He’s not a war hero,” said Trump. “He was a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren’t captured.”

  3. #43
    Dick with my Buzz...Try DebateDrone's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    33,724
    Thanks
    28525

    From
    SWUSA
    You don't say anything to your students you don't want any other person to hear.

    The problem I have is Trump milking the controversy.

    Trump will use the parents of killed kids if he can make points.

  4. #44
    Council Member Djinn's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    44,270
    Thanks
    28711

    From
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by TNVolunteer73 View Post
    This was in a classroom and it is allowed to record lectures in classrooms (as Study aids) no reasonable assumption to privacy in a classroom setting.
    Not necessarily... This ruling is specific to Illinois, but it concludes:

    The appellate court’s decision makes clear that school officials may not audio-record conversations within classrooms without consent of all parties to the conversation.
    It's unlikely that students would have rights denied to school board officials.

  5. #45
    Veteran Member aboutenough's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    53,120
    Thanks
    2837

    From
    Washington state
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    Was that before or after he said:

    “He’s not a war hero,” said Trump. “He was a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren’t captured.”
    Why would McCain be a war hero for being captured?

  6. #46
    Senior Member Sparta's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    21,076
    Thanks
    8248

    From
    Connecticut
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    In my state, it is illegal to record an in-person conversation (telephone is ok) unless all parties know, or should reasonably know, they are being recorded. (There are a couple of statutory exceptions.)

    Agree the teacher has no business offering such personal opinions in the classroom. However, the kid is not a "hero," and saying so just diminishes the meaning of the word with respect to real heroes.
    2018

    Time to "reasonably know", particularly in a public forum. There should be no expectation to privacy in a classroom

  7. #47
    olguy OlGuy's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2016
    Posts
    2,088
    Thanks
    398

    From
    california
    Anything you say can be held against you in a court of public opinion.

  8. #48
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    54,705
    Thanks
    26241

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    Why would McCain be a war hero for being captured?
    He flew into a war zone and happened to get shot down. He refused release when offered because it violated regulations, and he was tortured for years because of it.

    Trump has no business evaluating anyone's heroism, and the student in this case is not a hero just for catching someone being stupid on a recording.
    Thanks from jacobfitcher

  9. #49
    Veteran Member aboutenough's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    53,120
    Thanks
    2837

    From
    Washington state
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    He flew into a war zone and happened to get shot down. He refused release when offered because it violated regulations, and he was tortured for years because of it.

    Trump has no business evaluating anyone's heroism, and the student in this case is not a hero just for catching someone being stupid on a recording.
    Let me get this straight. Trump has no business determining a hero, but you have business determining one.

  10. #50
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    54,705
    Thanks
    26241

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    Let me get this straight. Trump has no business determining a hero, but you have business determining one.
    I served in uniform more than Trump did - not a difficult hurdle to clear, since Mr. Bone Spur avoided service entirely.
    Thanks from Sparta

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 8th December 2017, 11:15 AM
  2. Replies: 119
    Last Post: 18th September 2015, 05:00 PM
  3. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 11th August 2011, 04:44 PM
  4. Officer's racist Rant Recorded
    By Babylon in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 23rd March 2010, 10:25 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed