Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
Thanks Tree3Thanks

Thread: Boston PD Honors "Red" Auerbach for History Month

  1. #1
    Bad Policy Good Politics DebateDrone's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    37,846
    Thanks
    32957

    From
    Border Fence

    Boston PD Honors "Red" Auerbach for History Month

    Boston PD honored "Red" for drafting the first black NBA player.

    Seems BPD changed their mind and took the tweet down...for some reason. Red was a great coach.



    The Boston Police Department briefly honored legendary Celtics coach Red Auerbach last night while celebrating Black History Month, but backed off due to the public backlash.
    Boston Police Briefly Honor Red Auerbach for Black History Month | The Big Lead

  2. #2
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    28,217
    Thanks
    7173

    From
    midwest
    He was much more than just a great coach.

    He was a truly great pioneer of the NBA in many respects.

  3. #3
    Penny for your thots Macduff's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    88,224
    Thanks
    24694

    From
    Pittsburgh, PA
    "and hire the league's 1st African-American head coach (Bill Russell) in 1966"


    Why didn't they just honor Bill Russell...? Forget it Jake, it's Boston.
    Thanks from boontito

  4. #4
    Penny for your thots Macduff's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    88,224
    Thanks
    24694

    From
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Short of "pahk ya cah in the gahrahge" that tweet was like the most Boston thing you could say.
    Thanks from boontito

  5. #5
    Nuisance Factor Yeti 8 Jungle Swing Champion, YetiSports 4 - Albatross Overload Champion, YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion boontito's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    96,487
    Thanks
    74909

    From
    <-- "Meme Boy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Macduff View Post
    Short of "pahk ya cah in the gahrahge" that tweet was like the most Boston thing you could say.

  6. #6
    Shiny Purple Member namvet69's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,057
    Thanks
    5336

    From
    Englewood, Fl
    Love Red Auerbach and I bleed green for the Celtics. I've followed them since the 50's. They used to play 2 games a year at the R.I. auditorium. Satch Sanders landed in my buddies lap once.

    We had floor seats under the basket and he was going for a layup on a fast break.

    Larry Bird was a God. He and Magic Johnson truly did save the NBA when it was failing badly and almost bankrupt.

    I saw him play at the Boston Garden in a playoff game against the Rockets. My wife's boss was friends with Bob Cousy and we had second row seats behind the Boston bench.

    Always looked for the best seats or what's the point? LOL

  7. #7
    Penny for your thots Macduff's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    88,224
    Thanks
    24694

    From
    Pittsburgh, PA
    This is kind of like the Bill Burr line about Philadelphia having a statue for a fake boxer like Rocky Balboa when they could claim Sonny Liston.

  8. #8
    Shiny Purple Member namvet69's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,057
    Thanks
    5336

    From
    Englewood, Fl
    Quote Originally Posted by Macduff View Post
    This is kind of like the Bill Burr line about Philadelphia having a statue for a fake boxer like Rocky Balboa when they could claim Sonny Liston.
    Except Auerbach was a genius and put together the winningest sports franchise in history. These players didn't just meld together and play team ball. The leadership was all important in shaping the team year after year. And Red was responsible for getting the right mix of personalities to play the game the right way.

    He saw the worth of players that everybody else missed and never a thug among them because he just wouldn't allow it.

    That tradition was passed down to coach and players through the years and decades.

  9. #9
    Penny for your thots Macduff's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    88,224
    Thanks
    24694

    From
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Quote Originally Posted by namvet69 View Post
    Except Auerbach was a genius and put together the winningest sports franchise in history. These players didn't just meld together and play team ball. The leadership was all important in shaping the team year after year. And Red was responsible for getting the right mix of personalities to play the game the right way.

    He saw the worth of players that everybody else missed and never a thug among them because he just wouldn't allow it.

    That tradition was passed down to coach and players through the years and decades.
    He also looked like this.



    I don't really have an opinion about Red Auerbach. But this was supposed to be for Black History Month.
    Thanks from boontito

  10. #10
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    28,217
    Thanks
    7173

    From
    midwest
    Quote Originally Posted by Macduff View Post
    He also looked like this.



    I don't really have an opinion about Red Auerbach. But this was supposed to be for Black History Month.
    Boston was long considered the most racist big city in America.

    Red had so much success with the Celtics, that the city embraced his black players.

    I think Red helped race relations in the city.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 1st February 2017, 03:46 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 24th June 2015, 11:11 PM
  3. Why "Straight Pride" and "White History Month" is Offensive
    By Djinn in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 119
    Last Post: 10th June 2014, 11:41 AM
  4. Replies: 261
    Last Post: 14th July 2013, 01:47 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed