Members banned from this thread: zaangalewa


Page 31 of 44 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 440
Thanks Tree294Thanks

Thread: What has changed in the last 40 years that makes someone want to shoot up a school?

  1. #301
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    62,420
    Thanks
    31190

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    Better then supposed educated people saying “we don’t know what is causing it”.
    The less one is educated, the more confident one is of his wrong conclusion. Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge; not knowing the answer does not mean someone who claims an answer has actually found one. The educated people are merely aware of our own ignorance; the ignorant yet confident lack that awareness.

    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    This group has made good points that over 75 percent had no Father and it was backed up with an outside source. Most shooters had been on medication for sort of mental problems. Most have a history of getting in trouble and had been reported to the police.
    And yet you (the general "you") have done nothing to counter the doubts that have been presented. You merely assume yourself to be correct.
    Thanks from Blues63, Michael J and Dangermouse

  2. #302
    Veteran Member Michael J's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    13,351
    Thanks
    5211

    From
    My mother's womb, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    If you think violent videos are ok for children then you must be ok with a child around 10 learning how to shoot a gun. Take a safety course and learn how to handle a gun safely
    Gun training lessons aren't germane to the discussion topic. Your theory about violent video games and violent movies causing violent crime is at very best a Hasty Generalization. According to the article you posted, there are a tiny minority or people who have displayed violent behavior after playing a violent video game or watching violent videos, and there are substantially more people who have done both of those and haven't committed any violent crimes.

    https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Overgeneralization

  3. #303
    Veteran Member Michael J's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    13,351
    Thanks
    5211

    From
    My mother's womb, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    The less one is educated, the more confident one is of his wrong conclusion. Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge; not knowing the answer does not mean someone who claims an answer has actually found one. The educated people are merely aware of our own ignorance; the ignorant yet confident lack that awareness.

    And yet you (the general "you") have done nothing to counter the doubts that have been presented. You merely assume yourself to be correct.
    Criminologists have been developing many theories on crime causation, and they are currently being scrutinized by others in the field. Aboutenough hasn't even come close to formulating any theories. He just looks at things he doesn't like, such as violent video games and movies, and says ''violent crime is bad so I'm going to blame it on things I don't like.'' Then he uses his own self-serving biases and takes information out of context to find support for his own prejudices. It's the same Texas Sharpshooter fallacy again and again until the blood end of time.
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey and Babba

  4. #304
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    30,477
    Thanks
    3873

    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    And the connection is exactly what?
    As people who own guns already feel threatened by new gun laws, they buy more guns.

    Every time congress passes a new law, gun owners buy more guns.

    That's my theory on why gun ownership, bu the numbers of guns, has gone up so radically.

    The actual percentage of Americans who own guns is very small.

    Those who arm themselves so heavily see gun laws as a threat.

    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...nce-statistics

    Proportion of people who own half of the country’s guns, according to an unpublished Harvard/Northeastern University survey result summary. Anchoring this group are America’s gun super-owners – an estimated 7.7 million Americans who own between eight and 140 guns.
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...sychology-guns

    Another mass shooting, another call for more gun control. And yet, if the past predicts the future, those calls won’t go far and will probably even spark a rise in guns sales, as they have after many of the recent mass shootings in the US(link is external).
    According to the 2014 Gallup Poll(link is external), 63% of Americans believed that having a gun in the home makes it a safer place – a substantial increase from less than 50% from 1993 to 2006.
    Last edited by kmiller1610; 13th March 2018 at 10:08 PM.

  5. #305
    Veteran Member carpe diem's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    29,343
    Thanks
    2835

    From
    San Diego, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    The less one is educated, the more confident one is of his wrong conclusion. Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge; not knowing the answer does not mean someone who claims an answer has actually found one. The educated people are merely aware of our own ignorance; the ignorant yet confident lack that awareness.


    And yet you (the general "you") have done nothing to counter the doubts that have been presented. You merely assume yourself to be correct.
    All are a product of a society that has deteriorated the last 40 years...as we promote perversions, start calling things that are not normal behaviors the new normal and consider morality relative...add to that the teaching of our youth that they are enlightened and deserve their opinions, instead of leading them, instructing them and punishing poor behavior.
    Thanks from aboutenough

  6. #306
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    62,420
    Thanks
    31190

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by carpe diem View Post
    All are a product of a society that has deteriorated the last 40 years...as we promote perversions, start calling things that are not normal behaviors the new normal and consider morality relative...add to that the teaching of our youth that they are enlightened and deserve their opinions, instead of leading them, instructing them and punishing poor behavior.
    You are just whining that your religion no longer rules society and excludes those who do not ascribe to it. None of these opinions has anything to do with the subject matter.
    Thanks from Babba, Michael J and Dangermouse

  7. #307
    your better Rev. Hellh0und's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    39,739
    Thanks
    4313

    From
    NYC
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    OVER 90 minutes, 52 years ago in 1966.
    An M-1 carbine with a 3 round magazine???

    I'd bet had AR-15's with large capacity mags had been as available as they are today that is what he would have been using. What do you think?



    I disagree, most of his victims were a result of the remington hunting rifle. he was a marksman, a sniper, that was his tool. The point is to show that feel good laws don't stop crazy people

  8. #308
    Veteran Member Moorhuhn Wanted Champion Hollywood's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    69,255
    Thanks
    33522

    From
    Memphis, Tn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Hellh0und View Post
    I disagree, most of his victims were a result of the remington hunting rifle. he was a marksman, a sniper, that was his tool. The point is to show that feel good laws don't stop crazy people

    I said NOTHING about which weapon may have caused the highest causalities.
    The only weapon of his I mentioned was the M-1 carbine and that was to express surprise that he had on with a three round magazine.
    So, what are you talking about?

    Yes indeed, a Remington 700 makes a fine sniper rifle. It was commonly used for that by Marines during the Vietnam War.

    No shit laws don't STOP crazy people many times. I'll be perfectly happy if they stop some of them some of the time and if it reduces the causality figures.

  9. #309
    your better Rev. Hellh0und's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    39,739
    Thanks
    4313

    From
    NYC
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    I said NOTHING about which weapon may have caused the highest causalities.
    The only weapon of his I mentioned was the M-1 carbine and that was to express surprise that he had on with a three round magazine.
    So, what are you talking about?

    Yes indeed, a Remington 700 makes a fine sniper rifle. It was commonly used for that by Marines during the Vietnam War.

    No shit laws don't STOP crazy people many times. I'll be perfectly happy if they stop some of them some of the time and if it reduces the causality figures.



    Anti-gun laws do nothing to stop crime, or these shootings..

  10. #310
    Member
    Joined
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2,175
    Thanks
    1132

    From
    Maryland USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Hellh0und View Post
    Anti-gun laws do nothing to stop crime, or these shootings..
    With the current inventory of guns on the streets, I can understand the perception of closing the stable door after the horse is out. However, I also know that when you find yourself in a deep hole, the first thing to do is to stop digging. Perhaps, reasonable common sense gun laws could be viewed as the first step to stop digging.

Page 31 of 44 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 2 teens shoot dead at school
    By cable2 in forum Current Events
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 13th February 2016, 02:16 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 3rd August 2015, 12:42 AM
  3. What hasn't changed in 50 years
    By Robert Urbanek in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19th September 2013, 05:59 PM
  4. What has changed in your life in the last 6 years??
    By freckles in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 13th July 2007, 06:06 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed