Members banned from this thread: zaangalewa


Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35
Thanks Tree27Thanks

Thread: College newspaper blames Florida school shooting on 'toxic masculinity'

  1. #11
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    64,834
    Thanks
    36356

    From
    in my head
    Quote Originally Posted by DebateDrone View Post
    "Toxic Masculinity" is being discussed and debated in that age group.
    It comes out of gender studies, and it's a real thing. Machismo--the need to be powerful and to enforce that power on others--can be destructive. But it's been channeled in to useful paths for millennia as well. The difference now is that the most masculine of virtues--physical strength and courage, dedication to an unswerving goal, martial prowess, agonism--are less needed in a digitized, robotic world. There's nothing inherently toxic about masculinity, but it needs (and has always needed) to be directed toward useful rather than destructive ends.

  2. #12
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    45,367
    Thanks
    27448

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasselas View Post
    It comes out of gender studies, and it's a real thing. Machismo--the need to be powerful and to enforce that power on others--can be destructive. But it's been channeled in to useful paths for millennia as well. The difference now is that the most masculine of virtues--physical strength and courage, dedication to an unswerving goal, martial prowess, agonism--are less needed in a digitized, robotic world. There's nothing inherently toxic about masculinity, but it needs (and has always needed) to be directed toward useful rather than destructive ends.
    Doctors are warning young parents of active boys about this now. To teach them ways to get out their energy and anger issues. There have been outcries about too many going into Adderall and Ritalin worlds just to keep them calm but it has gotten bad press. Now they even have classes to help parents deal with what used to be called "hyperactive boys" so they dont go off and start killing animals or bullying etc.
    Thanks from Friday13

  3. #13
    Dick with my Buzz...Try DebateDrone's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    35,965
    Thanks
    30642

    From
    SWUSA
    Quote Originally Posted by libertariat720 View Post
    Define toxic masculinity.
    You commented on what you don't understand? post#6

  4. #14
    Dick with my Buzz...Try DebateDrone's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    35,965
    Thanks
    30642

    From
    SWUSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasselas View Post
    It comes out of gender studies, and it's a real thing. Machismo--the need to be powerful and to enforce that power on others--can be destructive. But it's been channeled in to useful paths for millennia as well. The difference now is that the most masculine of virtues--physical strength and courage, dedication to an unswerving goal, martial prowess, agonism--are less needed in a digitized, robotic world. There's nothing inherently toxic about masculinity, but it needs (and has always needed) to be directed toward useful rather than destructive ends.
    Im not debating it's existence or it's validity...I simply stated it''s being discussed among people of that age group.


    I guess there are reasons older inmates are released from prison with far lower rates of recidivism. And why some advocate chemical castration in some pedophiles and sexual assaulters.

  5. #15
    Shitposting Rank 4 Missle Command Champion johnflesh's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    21,202
    Thanks
    11418

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by DebateDrone View Post
    Im not debating it's existence or it's validity...I simply stated it''s being discussed among people of that age group.


    I guess there are reasons older inmates are released from prison with far lower rates of recidivism. And why some advocate chemical castration in some pedophiles and sexual assaulters.
    Technically, to your point, it's been discussed for the last 30 years. The whole "be a man" thing turned into men taking their own lives.

  6. #16
    Veteran Member TNVolunteer73's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    32,278
    Thanks
    8276

    From
    TN
    Quote Originally Posted by Friday13 View Post
    Reserving my comments until further info is available...

    Indiana college newspaper blames FL school shooting on toxic masculinity
    Strange he shot people in the school because he was bullied.. by MALES and FEMALES... kind of rules out the toxic masculinity.. he shot them because the libereals of the NEA did nothing about the bullying and James Comey was more interested in getting even with trump for winning the electection and not investigating a person that was reported to the FBI for saying he was going to be a "Professional School Shooter."

  7. #17
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    64,834
    Thanks
    36356

    From
    in my head
    Quote Originally Posted by TNVolunteer73 View Post
    Strange he shot people in the school because he was bullied.. by MALES and FEMALES... kind of rules out the toxic masculinity..
    I hesitate to speak up for a notion I disagree with, but your claim here is illogical. It implies that the toxic masculinity was somehow the problem of the males and females who bullied him. I think the idea is that the shooter was afflicted with toxic masculinity in that he felt the need to act out violently because of having been bullied. You appear to think that males who are bullied aren't capable of toxic masculinity, where in fact masculinity is most likely to turn toxic when the male involved is made to feel emasculated.

    Healthy masculinity is turned to moral ends--sticking up for someone who is weaker, showing kindness and forgiveness when one has the power to be vengeful, forbearance in the face of a challenge when a man knows he could act out violently and succeed. Those are masculine virtues.
    Last edited by Rasselas; 13th March 2018 at 09:26 AM.
    Thanks from Friday13

  8. #18
    Veteran Member TNVolunteer73's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    32,278
    Thanks
    8276

    From
    TN
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasselas View Post
    I hesitate to speak up for a notion I disagree with, but your claim here is illogical. It implies that the toxic masculinity was somehow the problem of the males and females who bullied him. I think the idea is that the shooter was afflicted with toxic masculinity in that he felt the need to act out violently because of having been bullied. You appear to think that males who are bullied aren't capable of toxic masculinity, where in fact masculinity is most likely to turn toxic when the male involved is made to feel emasculated.

    Healthy masculinity is turned to moral ends--sticking up for someone who is weaker, showing kindness and forgiveness when one has the power to be vengeful, forbearance in the face of a challenge when a man knows he could act out violently and succeed. Those are masculine virtues.

    No, the Toxic masculinity is not the problem because he shot the students MALE( Masculine) and FEMALE (feminine) bullied him.

    It would not be toxic masculinity it is mental health suppression of feelings.

    Before the days of taking masculinity out of our society.. Cruz and the person bullying him would get into a fight ("Meet me at the Goal post during after school). they would fight and then in many cases become friends.)

  9. #19
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    64,834
    Thanks
    36356

    From
    in my head
    Quote Originally Posted by TNVolunteer73 View Post
    No, the Toxic masculinity is not the problem because he shot the students MALE( Masculine) and FEMALE (feminine) bullied him.
    So what? How does that affect anything? Toxic masculinity is responsible for lots of domestic violence where men hit women--happens all the time.

    It would not be toxic masculinity it is mental health suppression of feelings.
    That's what toxic masculinity is. You should learn about things before you comment on them.

    Before the days of taking masculinity out of our society.. Cruz and the person bullying him would get into a fight ("Meet me at the Goal post during after school). they would fight and then in many cases become friends.)
    Or not. There's nothing to stop two boys from agreeing to fight each other today. They just have to do it off school grounds.

    The "trench coat mafia" of Columbine infamy didn't avoid fighting kids bullying them because of school officials. Anyone who would bring a gun to school in contravention of the law isn't going to be afraid of getting suspended.
    Thanks from Friday13

  10. #20
    Veteran Member TNVolunteer73's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    32,278
    Thanks
    8276

    From
    TN
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasselas View Post
    So what? How does that affect anything? Toxic masculinity is responsible for lots of domestic violence where men hit women--happens all the time.

    It would not be toxic masculinity it is mental health suppression of feelings.
    That's what toxic masculinity is. You should learn about things before you comment on them.

    Or not. There's nothing to stop two boys from agreeing to fight each other today. They just have to do it off school grounds.

    The "trench coat mafia" of Columbine infamy didn't avoid fighting kids bullying them because of school officials. Anyone who would bring a gun to school in contravention of the law isn't going to be afraid of getting suspended.[/QUOTE]

    Bullying isn't masculine or feminine I have 2 daughters.. you put 3 girls in a room to play.. 2 girls will click and the 3rd will be the outsider... 95% of the time.

    put 3 boys in the room, They will posture and fight wrestle and tumble the pecking order will be set and all 3 boys will get along 99% of the time.

    you see if Toxic Masculinity had been in place the shooting would have been avoided, because the issue would have been dealt with 2-3 years ago.

    Watch a girls team.. they will leave girls out.

    Boys teams, every boy is picked for the teams but... there will be a group of boys that will almost always be picked last.. but they all play

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. BREAKING: Florida school shooting
    By excalibur in forum Current Events
    Replies: 1052
    Last Post: 23rd February 2018, 07:11 AM
  2. Trump blames neighbors and classmates for school shooting
    By Idiocracat in forum Current Events
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 15th February 2018, 06:30 AM
  3. Replies: 95
    Last Post: 16th June 2016, 11:36 AM
  4. Replies: 243
    Last Post: 26th December 2012, 08:06 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed