Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30
Thanks Tree37Thanks

Thread: Trump is calling backsies on exiting the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal

  1. #11
    Dick with my Buzz...Try DebateDrone's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    36,962
    Thanks
    31888

    From
    SWUSA
    Quote Originally Posted by a777pilot View Post
    The only reason Trump was aginst the TPP is that it was a very bad deal for the USA. What is wrong with re-negotiating the deal to make it fair for the US? The same holds for NAFTA. If it cannot be re-negotiated to make the deal fair for the US, then we need to withdraw from NAFTA.
    The reason Trump was against TTP is because Obama was for it.

    Trump claimed he was out. The TTP is going on. If Trump wants back in...he's coming back in under Obama's/TTP's terms.

    Trump claims he want to re-negotiate a lot of things.
    Thanks from res

  2. #12
    res
    res is offline
    Member
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,569
    Thanks
    1102

    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatist View Post
    I don't know, maybe it was bad because virtually every republican congressman was for it?
    Republicans aren't always wrong. NAFTA was a Republican brain child. In spite of what Bernie Sanders of this world say, I think US hasn't been shortchanged on that deal. But it's too early to say whether or not NAFTA is truly a massive success as some claim it to be. Overall, I do believe it has created more wealth than it has destroyed, but the redistribution of that wealth has been skewed too much towards the rich because of the nature of tax systems and differing levels of corruption in both the USA and Mexico. Canada is not complaining.

    I think TPP was a great move by Obama. Soft power. And let's not forget that he forced the Chinese to sign onto CO2 emissions reductions (for the first in their history), tariff reductions and subsidy reductions. Obama did a shitload in his time in office that even the Republicans approved of but were too much of pansies to admit in public. It's my personal opinion that pulling out of TPP is one the biggest blunders in US foreign policy in the past 30 years. But that's me.
    Thanks from OHjulie, NightSwimmer and Tedminator

  3. #13
    RNG
    RNG is offline
    Senior Member RNG's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    11,000
    Thanks
    6671

    From
    Between everywhere
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatist View Post
    The American farmer has already lost over a billion dollars because of his threats alone. And you can bet there will be no reentry into TPP unless trump quits all his assinine talk of tariffs. It will be "sure we will let you in but first you must shove those steel tariffs up your ass sideways".
    According to Axios, the Republican President was advocating subsidies to farmers who were losing out due to the whole tariff thing. Several Senators from agricultural states basically told him to stuff it. So this was his fall-back suggestion.

  4. #14
    Veteran Member Dr.Knuckles's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    100,490
    Thanks
    8329

    From
    Vancouver
    I don’t understand. There’s 12 countries signed on to the TPP. How could a country negotiate in? No one has any authority to negotiate for the other 11.

    The only way to change anything in the TPP would be to open the whole negotiation up again for everybody.

    If the US makes some deal with Japan that wouldnt be in any way binding for Australia. Australia signed the TPP as it is. It doesn’t change without their agreement. And Bietnans. And New Zealand’s. And Canada’s. And....

    You’d need 12 country’s mutial agreement to modify anything.
    Thanks from NightSwimmer

  5. #15
    Member
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3,488
    Thanks
    3738

    From
    Ohio
    Too late.

    11 countries signed TPP trade pact without the United States on March 8, 2018.

    11 countries sign TPP trade pact without the United States
    Thanks from Tedminator and Minotaur

  6. #16
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    38,856
    Thanks
    37042

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Knuckles View Post
    I don’t understand. There’s 12 countries signed on to the TPP. How could a country negotiate in? No one has any authority to negotiate for the other 11.

    The only way to change anything in the TPP would be to open the whole negotiation up again for everybody.

    If the US makes some deal with Japan that wouldnt be in any way binding for Australia. Australia signed the TPP as it is. It doesn’t change without their agreement. And Bietnans. And New Zealand’s. And Canada’s. And....

    You’d need 12 country’s mutial agreement to modify anything.

    Precisely.

  7. #17
    Member
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3,488
    Thanks
    3738

    From
    Ohio
    Update:

    Members of an 11-nation Asia-Pacific trade pact said Friday they opposed any renegotiation of the deal to accommodate the U.S. should it decide to rejoin at a later date.

    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...tpp-sasse-says
    Thanks from Minotaur, RNG and Tedminator

  8. #18
    your better Rev. Hellh0und's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    40,023
    Thanks
    4367

    From
    NYC
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatist View Post
    The American farmer has already lost over a billion dollars because of his threats alone. And you can bet there will be no reentry into TPP unless trump quits all his assinine talk of tariffs. It will be "sure we will let you in but first you must shove those steel tariffs up your ass sideways".



    link please.

  9. #19
    Dick with my Buzz...Try DebateDrone's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    36,962
    Thanks
    31888

    From
    SWUSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Hellh0und View Post
    link please.
    PBS NewsHour full episode April 12, 2018 | PBS NewsHour | PBS

    Minute 14:00

    Senator Pat Roberts (R) Kansas went to tell Trump that farmers are all ready getting hit.


    1.79 Billion dollar one day price drop on Sorghum futures.




    Sorghum growers seeing the impact of China's threat

    Sorghum growers seeing the impact of China's threat | Kansas
    Thanks from Tedminator and HenryPorter

  10. #20
    your better Rev. Hellh0und's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    40,023
    Thanks
    4367

    From
    NYC
    Quote Originally Posted by DebateDrone View Post
    PBS NewsHour full episode April 12, 2018 | PBS NewsHour | PBS

    Minute 14:00

    Senator Pat Roberts (R) Kansas went to tell Trump that farmers are all ready getting hit.


    1.79 Billion dollar one day price drop on Sorghum futures.




    Sorghum growers seeing the impact of China's threat

    Sorghum growers seeing the impact of China's threat | Kansas



    So your evidence is what another person claims without evidence? Since when do you trust republican senators at their word?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 13th April 2018, 01:05 AM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 23rd January 2018, 05:40 PM
  3. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 22nd September 2016, 01:32 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 5th November 2015, 04:23 PM
  5. Trans-Pacific Partnership - the Expanded NAFTA
    By cheybarnes in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 9th January 2014, 10:50 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed