Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2432333435 LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 343
Thanks Tree285Thanks

Thread: We're At War

  1. #331
    ~Standing My Ground~ Sassy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    44,588
    Thanks
    17583

    From
    God Bless Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    IN regards to Mrs. Clinton you're probably right. She was the architect of what happened in Libya as well I believe.
    You accused me of being anti-American when I argued this back then........

  2. #332
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    26,656
    Thanks
    4492

    From
    North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
    You accused me of being anti-American when I argued this back then........
    I think you have me confused with someone else, because I would have never called you anti-American for being critical of Mrs. Clinton's foreign policy.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 15th April 2018 at 08:20 PM.

  3. #333
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    26,656
    Thanks
    4492

    From
    North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
    I hope that is true. It's one of the few things I have liked about Trump, however I am responding also to your general question of why would so many countries be trying to 'frame' Assad? They have been doing so since the beginning. This discussion cannot exclude 'pre-Trump'. There are still USG officials in favor of the Assad must Go policy, including Haley.
    But there is no effort to remove Assad from power under the current administration. Haley is just an ambassador.

    If there was actually a frame job going on here then it would only make sense if it was actually followed by an attempt to depose Assad. Otherwise there would be no reason for President Trump to concoct some global conspiracy with his allies to frame Assad. SO I find that conspiracy very unlikely.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 15th April 2018 at 08:23 PM.

  4. #334
    ~Standing My Ground~ Sassy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    44,588
    Thanks
    17583

    From
    God Bless Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    But there is no effort to remove Assad from power under the current administration. Haley is just an ambassador.

    If there was actually a frame job going on here then it would only make sense if it was actually followed by an attempt to depose Assad. Otherwise there would be no reason for President Trump to concoct some global conspiracy with his allies to frame Assad. SO I find that conspiracy very unlikely.
    I never said Trump concocted a global conspiracy to frame Assad, so I have no idea what your point is.

  5. #335
    ~Standing My Ground~ Sassy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    44,588
    Thanks
    17583

    From
    God Bless Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I think you have me confused with someone else, because I would have never called you anti-American for being critical of Mrs. Clinton's foreign policy.
    I can assure you that you did. It was America's foreign policy at the time and you were all for it.

  6. #336
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    26,656
    Thanks
    4492

    From
    North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
    I never said Trump concocted a global conspiracy to frame Assad, so I have no idea what your point is.
    This is what you said:

    Quote Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
    however I am responding also to your general question of why would so many countries be trying to 'frame' Assad? They have been doing so since the beginning. This discussion cannot exclude 'pre-Trump'. There are still USG officials in favor of the Assad must Go policy, including Haley.
    My point was if there is some attempt by many countries to try and frame Assad that's been going on since the beginning, I've seen no evidence that the current administration is involved in it and find any conspiracy along those lines very unlikely given how Trump seems perfectly content to leave Assad along so long as he doesn't use chemical weapons. So If Mrs. Haley does favor an Assad must Go policy it doesn't appear to me it's shared by her boss.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 15th April 2018 at 08:43 PM.

  7. #337
    ~Standing My Ground~ Sassy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    44,588
    Thanks
    17583

    From
    God Bless Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    This is what you said:



    My point was if there is some attempt by many countries to try and frame Assad that's been going on since the beginning, I've seen no evidence that the current administration is involved in it and find any conspiracy along those lines very unlikely given how Trump seems perfectly content to leave Assad along so long as he doesn't use chemical weapons. So If Mrs. Haley does favor an Assad must Go policy it doesn't appear to me it's shared by her boss.
    You should let him know you disagree. You vehemently argued in favor of 'Assad must go' with a fantasy of a real democracy taking his place. I'd be the first one to agree Assad must go IF there was any chance of democracy following, but there isn't.

  8. #338
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    26,656
    Thanks
    4492

    From
    North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
    You should let him know you disagree. You vehemently argued in favor of 'Assad must go' with a fantasy of a real democracy taking his place. I'd be the first one to agree Assad must go IF there was any chance of democracy following, but there isn't.
    I think you have me confused with another poster.

    Ever since the Russians entered Syria I've pretty much given up on a happy ending there. I've been saying it's a lost cause and we should just get out of there ever since that happened.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 15th April 2018 at 11:10 PM.

  9. #339
    Vexatious Correspondent Leo2's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,672
    Thanks
    3477

    From
    UK/Australia
    Perhaps we (and this includes Britain, France, and Australia, as well as the USA,) should be aware of whom we are supporting and whom we are attacking in Syria, and we should also be aware of the possible outcomes of our actions. According to French intelligence, these are the main factions who make up the Syrian resistance to the regime of Bashar Al Assad.

    Ahrar al-Sham

    Ahrar al-Sham, also known as Harakat Ahrar al-Sham al-Islamiyya, or the Islamic Movement of the Free Men of the Levant, is a Sunni Salafist militant group operating in Syria that aims to replace the Assad Regime with an Islamic government
    Since 2012, Ahrar al-Sham has primarily coordinated attacks against the Syrian army and other militants sympathetic to the Assad Regime with Hay'at Tahrir al-Sham (Tahrir al-Sham), formerly known as Jabhat al-Nusra
    The U.S. Director of National Intelligence considers Ahrar al-Sham and Tahrir al-Sham among the most effective Syrian opposition groups
    Ahrar al-Sham worked with the Islamic State (IS) until January 2014
    Abu Khalid al-Suri (Unknown to February 23, 2014): Suri, also known as Abu Omeir al-Shami, was one of Ahrar al-Sham’s co-founders. He also acted as Al Qaeda’s (AQ) representative in Syria and was charged with facilitating reconciliation among regional Islamist militants.

    Ahrar al-Sham seeks to establish a Sunni Islamic state in Syria


    Jaysh al-Islam

    In November 2013, shortly after Jaysh al-Islam was established, the group helped found the Islamic Front, an umbrella organization of 40,000-70,000 fighters that sought to replace the Assad Regime with an Islamic government
    In November 2015, the group placed Syrian soldiers and their families in 100 cages in Eastern Ghouta to deter Assad Regime attacks on civilian areas, such as market and hospitals
    Jaysh al-Islam allegedly used chemical weapons in an attack on the People’s Protection Units and other Kurdish forces in Aleppo in April 2016
    The coalition wants to replace the Assad Regime with a government based on Shariah law
    Expressed a desire to cleanse Damascus of all Shiites and Alawis


    Faylaq al-Rahman

    The group was founded in 2013 and became the second most prominent opposition force in the Damascus governorate after a merger with the Ajnad al-Sham Islamic Union’s Eastern Ghouta fighters
    A Damascus based group supported by former Al Qaeda affiliate Jabhat Fatah al-Sham, formerly known as Jabhat al-Nusra.

    It would appear that all three rebel groups, are jihadists who want to turn Syria into an Islamic state governed by a strict interpretation of Sharia law. All three rebel groups named by French intelligence are allied or associated in some way with ISIS and/or AQ.
    Lifted shamelessly from another forum whereupon I occasionally lurk.

    It may be argued that, in the absence of material evidence that the Syrian government used chemical weapons on Syrians on April the 7th, and previously in 2013, that these groups, who are capable of obtaining simple chemical compounds such as chlorine, had the most to gain by using them in a false flag attack to garner further support from the western governments who are supporting them. The Syrian government appears to have little to gain by using these weapons upon civilians against whom they are not fighting.

    Be all that as it may - do we really want to support another fundamental Islamic state in the Middle East - is not Iran enough for anyone to stomach?

    "The enemy of my enemy is my friend," is not a logically supportable doctrine.

    Just another view which may differ from that disseminated by the popular media.
    Last edited by Leo2; 16th April 2018 at 09:22 PM.

  10. #340
    Veteran Member Dr.Knuckles's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    99,668
    Thanks
    6886

    From
    Vancouver
    The UK wants to hit Russia where it hurts. So it is. The UK seems to have its absolute fill of Russia. Theyre looking at Russia as an existential threat, not a geopolitical one.

    Trump probably saw the victims on TV and wants to hit back at the people who did it.

    All May had to do was ask.

Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2432333435 LastLast

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed