Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
Thanks Tree5Thanks

Thread: Mueller conflict of interest: Ties to Russian Oligarch.

  1. #1
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    51,042
    Thanks
    10317

    From
    United States

    Mueller conflict of interest: Ties to Russian Oligarch.

    This clown needs to recuse himself from this investigation. It has no legitimacy left.

    He is corrupt to the core.

    Special Counsel Robert Mueller has withstood relentless political attacks, many distorting his record of distinguished government service.

    But there’s one episode even Mueller’s former law enforcement comrades — and independent ethicists — acknowledge raises legitimate legal issues and a possible conflict of interest in his overseeing the Russia election probe.

    In 2009, when Mueller ran the FBI, the bureau asked Russian oligarch Oleg Deripaska to spend millions of his own dollars funding an FBI-supervised operation to rescue a retired FBI agent, Robert Levinson, captured in Iran while working for the CIA in 2007.

    Yes, that’s the same Deripaska who has surfaced in Mueller’s current investigation and who was recently sanctioned by the Trump administration.

    The Levinson mission is confirmed by more than a dozen participants inside and outside the FBI, including Deripaska, his lawyer, the Levinson family and a retired agent who supervised the case. Mueller was kept apprised of the operation, officials told me.

    Some aspects of Deripaska’s help were chronicled in a 2016 book by reporter Barry Maier, but sources provide extensive new information about his role.

    They said FBI agents courted Deripaska in 2009 in a series of secret hotel meetings in Paris, Vienna, Budapest and Washington. Agents persuaded the aluminum industry magnate to underwrite the mission. The Russian billionaire insisted the operation neither involve nor harm his homeland.

    “We knew he was paying for his team helping us, and that probably ran into the millions,” a U.S. official involved in the operation confirmed.

    One agent who helped court Deripaska was Andrew McCabe, the recently fired FBI deputy director who played a seminal role starting the Trump-Russia case, multiple sources confirm.

    http://thehill.com/opinion/white-hou...ssian-oligarch

  2. #2
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    51,042
    Thanks
    10317

    From
    United States
    More...........

    The FBI had three reasons for choosing Deripaska for a mission worthy of a spy novel. First, his aluminum empire had business in Iran. Second, the FBI wanted a foreigner to fund the operation because spending money in Iran might violate U.S. sanctions and other laws. Third, agents knew Deripaska had been banished since 2006 from the United States by State over reports he had ties to organized crime and other nefarious activities. He denies the allegations, and nothing was ever proven in court.

    The FBI rewarded Deripaska for his help. In Fall 2009, according to U.S. entry records, Deripaska visited Washington on a rare law enforcement parole visa. And since 2011 he has been granted entry at least eight times on a diplomatic passport, even though he doesn’t work for the Russian Foreign Ministry.

    So, Mueller recruits a Russian oligarch who has been banished from the USA because of his organized crime activities because of his ties to Iran that can be used to circumvent US sanctions against Iran. So much corruption from one guy.

  3. #3
    Veteran Member Yetisports6 - Big Wave Champion, Bezerk Champion, All Ball Champion, Magic Gem Champion, Crystal Clear Champion, Flower Power Champion, Space Thieves TD Champion, X-treme Moto Idiot Cross Champion, Micro Tanks Champion, Race Horse Tycoon Champion, Railway Line Champion, Raju Meter 2 Champion, Metal Slug - Kill the Nazis Champion, Decoder Champion, 1 in 24 Speed v32  Champion
    Joined
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    28,344
    Thanks
    8847

    From
    In Grace
    The incestuous circles never stop with this crew.

    He should do as Jeff Sessions did.

  4. #4
    Wawa Skittletits BDBoop's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    44,172
    Thanks
    39850

    From
    Tweet Tweet
    That's okay. He's got a big team, they can continue the investigation.
    Thanks from Idiocracat

  5. #5
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    51,042
    Thanks
    10317

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    The incestuous circles never stop with this crew.

    He should do as Jeff Sessions did.
    Don't hold your breath. He shouldn't have accepted the job because of being Comey's butt-buddy. He doesn't have an ethical bone in his body.

    The entire thing is now officially a joke. Nothing he does can be taken seriously.

  6. #6
    Civis americanus borealis Singularity's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    27,770
    Thanks
    19101

    From
    Kansas
    Quote Originally Posted by Goofball View Post
    Don't hold your breath. He shouldn't have accepted the job because of being Comey's butt-buddy. He doesn't have an ethical bone in his body.

    The entire thing is now officially a joke. Nothing he does can be taken seriously.
    Keep repeating that, you might actually convince somebody ... eventually.

    Otherwise, a "conflict of interest," despite the ridiculous innuendo offered by The Hill, doesn't entail any operation someone performed in their official capacity.

    Now... If Mueller had personal, or otherwise unofficial, ties to Deripaska, that would be a big problem. But that's not the case here.

    So the FBI worked with Deripaska in the past ... there's lots of entanglements between FBI operations and shady characters in its history.

    It has no bearing on the FBI's ability to investigate anybody, and a special counsel is separate from the FBI's own investigators anyway.

  7. #7
    Moderator HayJenn's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    54,993
    Thanks
    42516

    From
    CA
    Great another op-ed, not actual news

    Solomon is among the best-traveled journalists around the Beltway. He has worked at the Associated Press, The Washington Post, the Washington Times, the Center for Public Integrity, Newsweek/The Daily Beast, the Washington Guardian, Circa and The Hill. As he moves around, he leaves an interesting trail for media reporters to follow. Last summer, for instance, Solomon announced that he was jumping from Circa, a general news site owned by the conservative Sinclair Broadcast Group, to The Hill. “The Hill’s spectacular rise as the leading outlet for political news coverage speaks to a far-reaching vision for digitally-powered growth,” Solomon said in a statement. “Joining The Hill team at this time, when the outlet is seeing just the first fruits of that vision, is an incredibly exciting opportunity. I’m looking forward to working with some of today’s most talented journalists to create a new political genre for the mobile generation, providing unmatched, non-partisan political news and bipartisan shows in the digital formats they love.”

    Employees at The Hill would take issue with the “non-partisan” promise. According to sources consulted by this blog, there’s frustration that Solomon appears so tight with Hannity, the prime-time Trump apologist who has admitted straight-up that he’s no journalist. Over the past three months, Solomon has turned in a dozen or so appearances on “Hannity.” The TV hits may be good for traffic at TheHill.com, though the implications for up-and-coming journalists at the publication are less salutary: Their employer comes off as a propaganda mill.

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.01d85a2a5bac
    Thanks from the watchman and HenryPorter

  8. #8
    Wawa Skittletits BDBoop's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    44,172
    Thanks
    39850

    From
    Tweet Tweet
    Damn it, I should have read the article.

  9. #9
    Civis americanus borealis Singularity's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    27,770
    Thanks
    19101

    From
    Kansas
    Quote Originally Posted by HayJenn View Post
    Great another op-ed, not actual news

    Solomon is among the best-traveled journalists around the Beltway. He has worked at the Associated Press, The Washington Post, the Washington Times, the Center for Public Integrity, Newsweek/The Daily Beast, the Washington Guardian, Circa and The Hill. As he moves around, he leaves an interesting trail for media reporters to follow. Last summer, for instance, Solomon announced that he was jumping from Circa, a general news site owned by the conservative Sinclair Broadcast Group, to The Hill. “The Hill’s spectacular rise as the leading outlet for political news coverage speaks to a far-reaching vision for digitally-powered growth,” Solomon said in a statement. “Joining The Hill team at this time, when the outlet is seeing just the first fruits of that vision, is an incredibly exciting opportunity. I’m looking forward to working with some of today’s most talented journalists to create a new political genre for the mobile generation, providing unmatched, non-partisan political news and bipartisan shows in the digital formats they love.”

    Employees at The Hill would take issue with the “non-partisan” promise. According to sources consulted by this blog, there’s frustration that Solomon appears so tight with Hannity, the prime-time Trump apologist who has admitted straight-up that he’s no journalist. Over the past three months, Solomon has turned in a dozen or so appearances on “Hannity.” The TV hits may be good for traffic at TheHill.com, though the implications for up-and-coming journalists at the publication are less salutary: Their employer comes off as a propaganda mill.

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.01d85a2a5bac
    I've heard it said The Hill has gone from an inimitable icon of its namesake to Republican toilet paper, but I've seen no hard and fast proof of this.

  10. #10
    New Member TNHarley's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    276
    Thanks
    77

    From
    TN
    So mueller has ties to an Oligarch he used to skirt our own sanctions? The same guy trump signed sanctions against for funding social media trolls?
    I have supported mueller and the extent of his investigation but this throws up red flags.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 116
    Last Post: 10th May 2018, 02:33 PM
  2. Major Conflict Of Interest
    By MaryAnne in forum Current Events
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 1st December 2016, 05:33 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 26th July 2016, 11:59 AM
  4. The Fed and conflict of interest.
    By Cicero in forum Economics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30th August 2011, 11:45 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed