Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 309
Thanks Tree278Thanks

Thread: British royals.

  1. #141
    Member Arkady's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    2,334
    Thanks
    3279

    From
    Massachusetts
    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    As an American, I would never bow and scrape to Queen Elizabeth, but I would tell her that I'm honored to meet her and that I admire her. Also, you behave as though the Brits and the British monarchy continue to treat Americans as they did in the 1700 and 1800s. I think our founders would be glad we have such a good relationship with the UK and would expect that respect be given the monarchy for what they are and represent today. Had the monarchy been as decent and respectful to America and Americans then as they are now, we would be Brits today.
    If I were to meet Ms. Windsor, I honestly don't know what I'd say to her, since she's not terribly interesting and we have almost nothing in common. I guess we're both dog people, so I could try to get some mileage out of that. I wouldn't say I was honored to meet her, any more than I'd expect her to say that to me, since there's no particular honor in meeting someone as unaccomplished as the two of us.

  2. #142
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    36,522
    Thanks
    32212

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    As silly as some may think I am, I will be getting up early Saturday and will stream the festivities live. I've been watching PBS's Royal Wedding Watch all week also. We all need a bit of fairy tale fluff in our lives.
    I'll be getting up early Saturday, to go watch my chess teams whomp up on some decidedly inferior chess teams. We will EASILY win the middle school and high school team championships, and have a decent chance of winning the elementary championship as well, for a clean sweep.

    Thanks from MaryAnne and Babba

  3. #143
    Member Arkady's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    2,334
    Thanks
    3279

    From
    Massachusetts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    I'll be getting up early Saturday, to go watch my chess teams whomp up on some decidedly inferior chess teams. We will EASILY win the middle school and high school team championships, and have a decent chance of winning the elementary championship as well, for a clean sweep.

    My daughter is turning eight soon and I think I'll start teaching her chess then. I had a few years in my early 20s where I studied and practiced chess enough that I was decent..... well, decent enough that I could consistently beat the kind of players who'd been in chess clubs in high school but had fallen out of practice. But now I'm the one out of practice. I used to have dozens of openings memorized, and now I'm mostly playing free-form after the first three moves or so.
    Thanks from BigLeRoy, The Man and MaryAnne

  4. #144
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    36,522
    Thanks
    32212

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkady View Post
    My daughter is turning eight soon and I think I'll start teaching her chess then. I had a few years in my early 20s where I studied and practiced chess enough that I was decent..... well, decent enough that I could consistently beat the kind of players who'd been in chess clubs in high school but had fallen out of practice. But now I'm the one out of practice. I used to have dozens of openings memorized, and now I'm mostly playing free-form after the first three moves or so.
    Without a single exception, EVERY world champion has learned how to play the game by the time they were FIVE years old. So, by all means, teach your daughter NOW. Pattern recognition skills are best learned YOUNG.

    I myself did not learn how to play until I was about 11. I devoutly wish I had learned the game at a much younger age.

    My own chess-playing skills peaked when I was in my young twenties, which is true for MOST people; at that time, I was one of the stronger players in the state of Colorado. But at that time----in the late 1970's and early 1980's----Colorado did not have a lot of great players.....
    Last edited by BigLeRoy; 17th May 2018 at 09:09 AM.

  5. #145
    Member Arkady's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    2,334
    Thanks
    3279

    From
    Massachusetts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    Without a single exception, EVERY world champion has learned how to play the game by the time they were FIVE years old. So, by all means, teach your daughter NOW. Pattern recognition skills are best learned YOUNG.

    I myself did not learn how to play until I was about 11. I devoutly wish I had learned the game at a much younger age.

    My own chess-playing skills peaked when I was in my young twenties, which is true for MOST people; at that time, I was one of the stronger players in the state of Colorado. But at that time----in the late 1970's and early 1980's----Colorado did not have a lot of great players.....
    I taught her the basics of chess at four but she didn't have a huge interest. She knows how the pieces move and the idea behind how to win, but doesn't really get the concept of moving pieces in concert.

    I learned to play at 10 and I'm sure that played into me never getting particularly good. But it also was just a matter of not wanting to put in the effort. Grandmasters are generally pretty monomaniacal. You have to treat it kind of like a full-time job and although I like chess, I don't like it enough to play or study for more than a couple hours per week.
    Thanks from BigLeRoy

  6. #146
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    36,522
    Thanks
    32212

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkady View Post
    I taught her the basics of chess at four but she didn't have a huge interest. She knows how the pieces move and the idea behind how to win, but doesn't really get the concept of moving pieces in concert.

    I learned to play at 10 and I'm sure that played into me never getting particularly good. But it also was just a matter of not wanting to put in the effort. Grandmasters are generally pretty monomaniacal. You have to treat it kind of like a full-time job and although I like chess, I don't like it enough to play or study for more than a couple hours per week.
    I became enthralled with the game immediately after learning it. Was taught by a friend when I went to his home and he asked if I wanted to play a game of chess, and I told him I didn't know how. Well, he said he would teach me, and he did. Of course he beat me in the first game, but then I won the second game, and I was hooked. Checked out a book from the public library the next week and started learning some strategy, and then found out there was a chess club at school, which I promptly joined, and very quickly became the best player in the club, and was better than the club sponsor, a social studies teacher. Started playing in tournaments and winning trophies the next year. High point was winning second place in the state my junior year in high school. The state champion----who I did not get to play----went on to become an International Master----a MUCH better player than I. My high school chess club sponsor was the physics teacher, and he and I played MANY a great game, but I could usually beat him as well. My chess playing skills are rapidly diminishing these days, though----that is easily measurable by playing against computers.....

    Computers are getting scary in this regard. Google's Deep Mind program went off and taught ITSELF how to play chess, and four or five hours later, was the best chess player the WORLD has EVER seen, clobbering the previous best computer program, Stockfish. That is really pretty STUNNING, when you stop to think about it......
    Thanks from The Man

  7. #147
    Member Arkady's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    2,334
    Thanks
    3279

    From
    Massachusetts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    I became enthralled with the game immediately after learning it. Was taught by a friend when I went to his home and he asked if I wanted to play a game of chess, and I told him I didn't know how. Well, he said he would teach me, and he did. Of course he beat me in the first game, but then I won the second game, and I was hooked. Checked out a book from the public library the next week and started learning some strategy, and then found out there was a chess club at school, which I promptly joined, and very quickly became the best player in the club, and was better than the club sponsor, a social studies teacher. Started playing in tournaments and winning trophies the next year. High point was winning second place in the state my junior year in high school. The state champion----who I did not get to play----went on to become an International Master----a MUCH better player than I. My high school chess club sponsor was the physics teacher, and he and I played MANY a great game, but I could usually beat him as well. My chess playing skills are rapidly diminishing these days, though----that is easily measurable by playing against computers.....

    Computers are getting scary in this regard. Google's Deep Mind program went off and taught ITSELF how to play chess, and four or five hours later, was the best chess player the WORLD has EVER seen, clobbering the previous best computer program, Stockfish. That is really pretty STUNNING, when you stop to think about it......
    When I was in my teens, I'd play chess against an old computer program called Sargon II. If I avoided mental slips, I could beat it at the hardest setting. But, these days the chess programs are just so much better. Even the one on my phone schools me mercilessly unless I set the difficulty lower. Some of that is doubtless me not playing as well as I used to, but I think most of it is just how far the programs have come.

  8. #148
    Vexatious Correspondent Leo2's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,019
    Thanks
    4080

    From
    UK/Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkady View Post
    When I was in my teens, I'd play chess against an old computer program called Sargon II. If I avoided mental slips, I could beat it at the hardest setting. But, these days the chess programs are just so much better. Even the one on my phone schools me mercilessly unless I set the difficulty lower. Some of that is doubtless me not playing as well as I used to, but I think most of it is just how far the programs have come.
    I sympathise - I love chess, but not many of my contemporaries do, so most of my games are against the computer. I simply cannot beat it at the highest levels, and at 20 and reading for a double degree, I am possibly at my intellectual peak - so alas; a chess champion I shall never be.
    Thanks from The Man and Arkady

  9. #149
    Established Member
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5,729
    Thanks
    3639

    From
    out
    The beauty of chess is that even a pawn can be queen.
    Thanks from The Man and BigLeRoy

  10. #150
    The Un-Holy One The Man's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    39,038
    Thanks
    24162

    From
    Toronto
    I know how to play chess, can't say was ever super good at it though lol Card games were always more my thing... Mostly because I learned quickly enough how to cheat in them You do learn that shit fast, in the basement of a Moscow school...

    Chess is much more of an intellectual game, takes actual brain power to win, not just luck and/or cheating skills haha Too hard for me, it always was...

Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 50
    Last Post: 10th April 2018, 02:12 PM
  2. Russian TV mocks Brit Royals
    By The Man in forum Current Events
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 15th March 2018, 03:43 AM
  3. KC Royals clubhouse hit by chickenpox
    By bajisima in forum Current Events
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2nd September 2015, 07:21 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed