Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 82
Thanks Tree21Thanks

Thread: Session - Says Domestic Violence Is Not Grounds for Asylum

  1. #51
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    66,612
    Thanks
    34217

    From
    Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
    Quote Originally Posted by orangecat View Post
    Making a poor marriage choice is not grounds for asylum in a foreign country. The premise alone is ludicrous.
    Your premise is not so great, either. With most abusive marriages, the abuse does not typically start until after the marriage, thus rendering your premise of a "poor marriage choice" meaningless.
    Thanks from Dangermouse

  2. #52
    #walkaway orangecat's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    3,131
    Thanks
    630

    From
    oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by HayJenn View Post
    Really? You do know that most governments in Central America are corrupt right?
    So are governments in North America.

  3. #53
    "Mr. Original". the watchman's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    82,735
    Thanks
    45617

    From
    becoming more and more
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    The courts do not get a say unless a case is brought before them - in which event they need a legal justification for their decision. The (federal) courts are constitutionally prohibited from issuing advisory opinions. In political matters, the courts do not get a say, so unless there is something illegal or unconstitutional going on here - and there is no evidence that there is - there would not even be a case that could be brought.
    you're the one that brought up a legal justification. Why wouldn't this administration want the input of the judges that are hearing immigration cases? Of course, they can't do it during the hearings. Sessions is operating within the scope of his authority. But, they most certainly can discuss his interpretation of the law among themselves and/or with Sessions. As well as whether or not he's making their jobs more difficult , causing more problems within the immigration system, etc. As a matter of fact, the most logical thing to happen first is they'd ask for clarification on what exactly Sessions is ordering them to do. That's putting aside more radical avenues, like ignoring Sessions, or resigning in protest, or , like I said, telling him to go piss up a rope.
    Last edited by the watchman; 12th June 2018 at 08:58 AM.

  4. #54
    #walkaway orangecat's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    3,131
    Thanks
    630

    From
    oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    Your premise is not so great, either. With most abusive marriages, the abuse does not typically start until after the marriage, thus rendering your premise of a "poor marriage choice" meaningless.
    Disagree. If your spouse beats you at any point, you've made a poor marriage choice. Regardless, you're nit-picking on a tangent and missing the point of my post. You seem to have a habit of doing that, tbh.

  5. #55
    "Mr. Original". the watchman's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    82,735
    Thanks
    45617

    From
    becoming more and more
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    O.K - More of this tangent? If it makes you feel better, "I am".
    learn to post something more constructive than.."leftist"..."leftist"...blah...blah..blah. Then we can talk.

  6. #56
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    66,612
    Thanks
    34217

    From
    Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    Why wouldn't this administration want the input of the judges that are hearing immigration cases?
    The judges would be prohibited from offering that input, because they are constitutionally prohibited from acting in an advisory capacity.

  7. #57
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    66,612
    Thanks
    34217

    From
    Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
    Quote Originally Posted by orangecat View Post
    Disagree. If your spouse beats you at any point, you've made a poor marriage choice.
    The choice would not have been bad, on that account, at the time it was made, since the beating would not have happened yet. (Obviously, if a beating had occurred prior to marriage, then it was a poor choice.)

    Quote Originally Posted by orangecat View Post
    Regardless, you're nit-picking on a tangent and missing the point of my post. You seem to have a habit of doing that, tbh.
    TBH, you have a habit of making nonsensical or invalid statements in order to "make a point." Perhaps your point should be made based on something that is more likely to be a reality rather than ideologicaly posturing.

  8. #58
    Senior Member BoiseBo's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2013
    Posts
    10,782
    Thanks
    8733

    From
    Boise, ID
    Little Jiffy has already been B-slapped by the courts.

    https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/06/polit...ion/index.html

    I don't want to see him fired right now, but damn what a poopstain!

  9. #59
    Senior Member BoiseBo's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2013
    Posts
    10,782
    Thanks
    8733

    From
    Boise, ID
    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    Your link took me shopping with Groupon at Viglink.
    NYT has using Viglink instead of a standard pop-up for past few weeks. It's a bad way of doing business, but just click the blue box that says "take me to NYT"

  10. #60
    #walkaway orangecat's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    3,131
    Thanks
    630

    From
    oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    The choice would not have been bad, on that account, at the time it was made, since the beating would not have happened yet. (Obviously, if a beating had occurred prior to marriage, then it was a poor choice.)
    Again, if your spouse beats you at any point, you made a poor choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    TBH, you have a habit of making nonsensical or invalid statements in order to "make a point." Perhaps your point should be made based on something that is more likely to be a reality rather than ideologicaly posturing.
    You're close, but you're not in my league. Quit making yourself look foolish.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Decriminalizing domestic violence
    By The Man in forum Sexuality
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 3rd December 2017, 03:20 PM
  2. Replies: 28
    Last Post: 1st March 2017, 10:43 AM
  3. NFL: New Domestic Violence Consequences
    By boontito in forum Current Events
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 31st August 2014, 08:28 PM
  4. Domestic Violence
    By Gypsy in forum Civil Rights
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 22nd September 2010, 04:17 AM
  5. On Domestic Violence in the US
    By MisterE in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 24th May 2007, 03:42 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed