Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 82
Thanks Tree21Thanks

Thread: Session - Says Domestic Violence Is Not Grounds for Asylum

  1. #71
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    62,558
    Thanks
    31267

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by orangecat View Post
    Again, if your spouse beats you at any point, you made a poor choice.
    Since you cannot have known that at the time of the marriage, it was not a poor choice at that time. Your argument depends on clairvoyance and time travel.

    Quote Originally Posted by orangecat View Post
    You're close, but you're not in my league. Quit making yourself look foolish.
    I have never looked foolish on PH. (As to RL, you'll just have to guess ... )
    Thanks from Dangermouse

  2. #72
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    62,558
    Thanks
    31267

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    judges are prohibited from getting clarification on what they're being ordered by the justice department to do?
    More accurately, judges are prohibited from issuing advisory opinions. If an administrative law judge (ALJ - part of the executive branch rather than the judicial branch) requests such "clarification" from the judicial branch, the judiciary is constitutionally prohibited from giving a response. The judiciary can only act when a case is brought before it, based on the constitutional scope of its power as defined in U.S. Const. art. III, 2.

    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    Also. Could you please stop editing my comments like that?
    Sorry. I quote the part I'm responding to.

  3. #73
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    49,333
    Thanks
    9924

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post


    I have never looked foolish on PH. )
    Good one!

  4. #74
    "Mr. Original". the watchman's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    81,333
    Thanks
    43827

    From
    becoming more and more
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasselas View Post
    Now I'm totally confused because what you're saying makes no sense to me. No one will act without a court case. No court case can be brought without an argument. Judges never say "piss up a rope." I'm pretty sure that phrase has never been used in a legal opinion, so I don't know what you're talking about.

    As Ian explained, judges never do anything independently without someone taking an action to ask a court to do something. They don't operate on their own.

  5. #75
    your better Rev. Hellh0und's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    39,805
    Thanks
    4314

    From
    NYC
    Quote Originally Posted by HayJenn View Post
    So gangs don't count? Pretty sure they would be considered an oppressive force of people.


    depends actually. if the gangs are gang raping villages, and the government cant or wont do anything about it that can be grounds for asylum.

  6. #76
    Newm' Embre orangecat's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,716
    Thanks
    371

    From
    oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    Since you cannot have known that at the time of the marriage, it was not a poor choice at that time. Your argument depends on clairvoyance and time travel.
    If your spouse beats you, you made a poor decision on a spouse. No need for a time travel machine.
    Much like if you invested your life savings in betamax. Maybe it seemed wise at the time, but it turned out to be a poor decision.
    Last edited by orangecat; 13th June 2018 at 07:29 AM.

  7. #77
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    9,766
    Thanks
    7725

    From
    In my mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasselas View Post
    I'm saying that Sessions made a decision regarding how to interpret a law. He's allowed to do that within the constraints of current law. Immigration courts do not have ultimate authority in deciding what a law means--higher courts do that. If they interpret the law as broadly as some in this thread want them to, they should pass a new law that's not so vague and that does what Congress wants the law to do.
    And in doing so Sessions showed himself to be a total dick.

  8. #78
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    49,333
    Thanks
    9924

    From
    United States
    Anyone thinking domestic violence is grounds for political asylum is a moron.

  9. #79
    "Mr. Original". the watchman's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    81,333
    Thanks
    43827

    From
    becoming more and more
    keep seeing the word "generally" being reported. Haven't been able to find the text of the order itself. But, this may be much ado about nothing. If the courts find grounds that meet the asylum standards , it's hard to believe they'd deny the application simply because the applicant fulls within the category of "domestic abuse", or "gang related". I'd think the ACLU would be all over that.

  10. #80
    Veteran Member Dangermouse's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    24,604
    Thanks
    23343

    From
    Sunny Bournemouth, Dorset
    MS13 are the greatest threat to the USA atm, but claiming asylum to escape them is denied.
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Decriminalizing domestic violence
    By The Man in forum Sexuality
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 3rd December 2017, 03:20 PM
  2. Replies: 28
    Last Post: 1st March 2017, 10:43 AM
  3. NFL: New Domestic Violence Consequences
    By boontito in forum Current Events
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 31st August 2014, 08:28 PM
  4. Domestic Violence
    By Gypsy in forum Civil Rights
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 22nd September 2010, 04:17 AM
  5. On Domestic Violence in the US
    By MisterE in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 24th May 2007, 03:42 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed