Members banned from this thread: Pragmatist


Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 41495051
Results 501 to 510 of 510
Thanks Tree303Thanks

Thread: The Science About When Life Begins

  1. #501
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    30,684
    Thanks
    3910

    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius the God View Post
    Do you feel as compelled to force your view of moral restraint on the little boys who stick their dicks into little girls?
    Wanting something is not the same as forcing something. Shaping attitudes and morals is a shared responsibility.

    Do you feel that human life should be destroyed when someone has been woefully irresponsible?

  2. #502
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    30,684
    Thanks
    3910

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Well, spaying and neutering works for dogs and cats. Why not for humans as well?
    People choose to get neutered all the time. It certainly reduces the chances of someone needing an abortion.

  3. #503
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    30,684
    Thanks
    3910

    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius the God View Post
    Do you feel as compelled to force your view of moral restraint on the little boys who stick their dicks into little girls?
    I think parents, grandparents, friends and neighbors need to impress moral restraint on their children and other people's children.

    But impressing is not forcing. Forcing a human life to end because a parent or a lover was irresponsible is a violation of decency and conscience.

    And as soon as a sperm and an egg join, that is human life. It may not be a legal person, but it's not anything other than human life.
    Thanks from GoaTlOver

  4. #504
    Veteran Member Metal Slug Champion Blah's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    24,663
    Thanks
    1376

    From
    USA
    There's a troll on this site who accused me of getting all my ideas from other sources because I posted a few YouTubes I found engaging.

    Well My opinion on abortion I have literally never heard from any other source than myself...

    A successfully fertilized egg that results in a gestating fetus is a human life. It's genetically distinct from the mother, and clearly a life form. Dependence on the mother to define whether it can be human or not is a red herring. That said, even though we know it is a human life, if the pregnancy is not too far along the mother has the right to kill the pregnancy. We just dont have the right to deny this unfortunate fact of life.

    My only other position would be that I advocate this right to be restrained to reasonably early into the pregnancy.
    Last edited by Blah; 12th July 2018 at 11:08 PM.
    Thanks from GoaTlOver

  5. #505
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    30,684
    Thanks
    3910

    Quote Originally Posted by Blah View Post
    There's a troll on this site who accused me of getting all my ideas from other sources because I posted a few YouTubes I found engaging.

    Well My opinion on abortion I have literally never heard from any other source than myself...

    A successfully fertilized egg that results in a gestating fetus is a human life. It's genetically distinct from the mother, and clearly a life form. Dependence on the mother to define whether it can be human or not is a red herring. That said, even though we know it is a human life, if the pregnancy is not too far along the mother has the right to kill the pregnancy. We just dont have the right to deny this unfortunate fact of life.

    My only other position would be that I advocate this right to be restrained to reasonably early into the pregnancy.
    Totally agree. And I think that if you properly packaged the idea and sponsored a constitutional amendment to this definition, we might actually give the people the chance to vote on this issue. Legal abortion limited to the first trimester would pass a majority, if you processed it long enough.
    Thanks from Blah

  6. #506
    Somewhere else GoaTlOver's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,005
    Thanks
    592

    From
    San Diego...ish
    Quote Originally Posted by DebateDrone View Post
    It is not the laws responsibility to address your feelings.
    True. Does the law attempt to protect life though?

  7. #507
    #walkaway orangecat's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    2,697
    Thanks
    556

    From
    oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by Blah View Post
    There's a troll on this site who accused me of getting all my ideas from other sources because I posted a few YouTubes I found engaging.

    Well My opinion on abortion I have literally never heard from any other source than myself...

    A successfully fertilized egg that results in a gestating fetus is a human life. It's genetically distinct from the mother, and clearly a life form. Dependence on the mother to define whether it can be human or not is a red herring. That said, even though we know it is a human life, if the pregnancy is not too far along the mother has the right to kill the pregnancy. We just dont have the right to deny this unfortunate fact of life.

    My only other position would be that I advocate this right to be restrained to reasonably early into the pregnancy.
    That's how I feel, too. You're not alone, my friend.

  8. #508
    Member tnbskts's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,487
    Thanks
    4569

    From
    British expat in USA
    Quote Originally Posted by GoaTlOver View Post
    The Science About When Life Begins Makes Pro-Choicers Look Terrible



    So, when does life begin? It has always been pretty obvious to me that it begins when the male and the female juicy bits set off that spark inside the mama and it would also seem that science agrees. If you don't believe that, are you truly a "progressive" or are you suppressing your emotions to justify killing a new person?
    Just because something is pretty obvious to you doesn't mean it's suddenly a scientific fact. Scientists have different opinions on when life begins, from right back to the time when life first started from nonliving precursors and has been a continuum ever since, to some months after birth. So Dr Wilkinson is a lot closer to being right than the dogmatic "life begins at the moment of conception" merchants. Personhood is a legal definition, not a scientific one.

  9. #509
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    27,511
    Thanks
    4711

    From
    North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by tnbskts View Post
    Just because something is pretty obvious to you doesn't mean it's suddenly a scientific fact. Scientists have different opinions on when life begins, from right back to the time when life first started from nonliving precursors and has been a continuum ever since, to some months after birth. So Dr Wilkinson is a lot closer to being right than the dogmatic "life begins at the moment of conception" merchants. Personhood is a legal definition, not a scientific one.
    Whether it's at conception or not - it's clearly a life when it has a heartbeat while living inside the womb. Wouldn't you say?

  10. #510
    Member tnbskts's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,487
    Thanks
    4569

    From
    British expat in USA
    Sperm and eggs are also lifeforms. So is a zygote five seconds before, and five seconds after, implantation. So is a foetus ten seconds before it has a heartbeat. So is a foetus a day before it shows brain activity. So is a foetus a day before viability. As I said, scientists have different opinions on when life begins, meaning that grabbing one definition that seems obvious to you or the OP and claiming it as some sort of scientific confirmation is really not conclusive at all. It still comes down to what people already believe. There is no scientific consensus.
    Last edited by tnbskts; 13th July 2018 at 10:52 PM.

Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 41495051

Similar Threads

  1. Life begins at conception?
    By Czernobog in forum Abortion
    Replies: 501
    Last Post: 28th April 2016, 04:29 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 1st October 2015, 10:27 AM
  3. Science trumps the Force to create a real-life lightsaber
    By Spookycolt in forum Current Events
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27th September 2013, 10:47 PM
  4. 50 Jaw-Dropping Pharmaceutical, Biotech and Life Science Statistics
    By Dr Sampson Simpson in forum Science and Technology
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 19th February 2013, 03:14 PM
  5. About this "life begins at conception" thing...
    By Blueneck in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 373
    Last Post: 3rd December 2008, 05:21 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed