Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
Thanks Tree14Thanks

Thread: Floridas senate race gets competitive

  1. #1
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    46,330
    Thanks
    28355

    From
    New Hampshire

    Floridas senate race gets competitive

    Gov. Rick Scott is narrowly leading Sen. Bill Nelson among South Florida Hispanic voters, according to a new poll that underscores the Democrat’s potential struggles with Latinos.

    Scott’s 42 percent to 39 percent lead over Nelson among likely South Florida Hispanic voters is buoyed by strong support for the Republican governor by Cuban-American voters and relatively weak backing for the Democratic incumbent by non-Cuban Hispanic voters, according to the Mason-Dixon Polling & Strategy survey conducted for Telemundo 51 in Miami.

    The survey follows a poll last month that showed Puerto Rican voters in Florida knew and liked Scott better than Nelson — by a 21 percentage-point margin — even though 57 percent of the sample was Democratic. Earlier in June, POLITICO first reported that Democrats were nervous about Nelson’s Latino outreach and were concerned that focus groups also showed Scott was relatively better known and liked among Orlando-area Puerto Ricans, in large part because of his welcoming of Hurricane Maria evacuees in Florida.

    https://www.politico.com/states/flor...l-finds-505852
    Thanks from Tedminator and Wonderer

  2. #2
    Veteran Member Micro Machines Champion, Race Against Time Champion Tedminator's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    24,975
    Thanks
    15083

    From
    South Florida
    yup.. I'm leaning towards Guv Scott. He's earned my respect and probably my vote with his hurricane preparedness, welcoming the PR evacuees, and signing the gun control bill. oh and I also like how he told potuslut to go pound sand re FL offshore drilling.
    Last edited by Tedminator; 15th July 2018 at 07:07 AM.
    Thanks from bajisima, Wonderer and pragmatic

  3. #3
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    46,330
    Thanks
    28355

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedminator View Post
    yup.. I'm leaning towards Guv Scott. He's earned my vote with his hurricane preparedness, welcoming the PR evacuees, and signing the gun control bill.
    I dont follow FL politics very much, but I have to say I rarely see Sen Nelson doing the news thing or reading about him. He doesnt seem to get his name out. I would think that will hurt him in an election.

  4. #4
    Civis americanus borealis Singularity's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    27,496
    Thanks
    18790

    From
    Kansas
    Scott is a solid candidate with a decent record as governor, and Nelson is a bit of a tool, so I won't be surprised if he pulls off an upset.

    However, I would never be able to support him. A climate change denier should not be allowed to hold office in a coastal state.

    You can be green and pro-industry, you just need to push industry to re-tool for the new millennium. Unfortunately, today's GOP just refuses.
    Thanks from EnigmaO01

  5. #5
    Veteran Member Micro Machines Champion, Race Against Time Champion Tedminator's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    24,975
    Thanks
    15083

    From
    South Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    I dont follow FL politics very much, but I have to say I rarely see Sen Nelson doing the news thing or reading about him. He doesnt seem to get his name out. I would think that will hurt him in an election.
    meh, no reason for you to follow him.. he ain't your guvnor
    Thanks from bajisima

  6. #6
    Veteran Member EnigmaO01's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    18,232
    Thanks
    10115

    From
    Indiana
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    I dont follow FL politics very much, but I have to say I rarely see Sen Nelson doing the news thing or reading about him. He doesnt seem to get his name out. I would think that will hurt him in an election.
    Nelson is already well known in Florida.

  7. #7
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    46,330
    Thanks
    28355

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedminator View Post
    meh, no reason for you to follow him.. he ain't your guvnor
    True but for us political wonks, Nelson is always one I forget about. I can never remember him. He is very quiet apparently. Plus he looks a bit like Pat Boone!
    Thanks from Wonderer

  8. #8
    Chaos in fourteen lines Minotaur's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    21,732
    Thanks
    18015

    From
    USA
    Florida Latinos are Cuban so it is hard to say which way they will go. I suspect Nelson will win as the Cuban youth movement is different than the retired Cuban ex-pats. Scott has always had a hard time winning in Florida but has eked out wins in very close races. We'll see.

  9. #9
    Chaos in fourteen lines Minotaur's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    21,732
    Thanks
    18015

    From
    USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    Scott is a solid candidate with a decent record as governor, and Nelson is a bit of a tool, so I won't be surprised if he pulls off an upset.

    However, I would never be able to support him. A climate change denier should not be allowed to hold office in a coastal state.

    You can be green and pro-industry, you just need to push industry to re-tool for the new millennium. Unfortunately, today's GOP just refuses.
    I disagree. He is a horses ass. I remember when he closed bathrooms to keep early voters who are usually democrat voters from voting for Obama and instead of suppressing votes the lines got twice as long. It was beautiful and Obama took Florida for the 2nd time. It doesn't pay to make voters angry.

  10. #10
    Member
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    3,171
    Thanks
    701

    From
    Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    Scott is a solid candidate with a decent record as governor, and Nelson is a bit of a tool, so I won't be surprised if he pulls off an upset.

    However, I would never be able to support him. A climate change denier should not be allowed to hold office in a coastal state.

    You can be green and pro-industry, you just need to push industry to re-tool for the new millennium. Unfortunately, today's GOP just refuses.
    The thing is Florida stubbornly continues to not sink. Floridians would be exactly who would be the most aware of the degree to which global warming hysteria has been over sold.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Missouri senate race
    By BYG Jacob in forum Current Events
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 6th February 2018, 09:34 AM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 5th May 2014, 11:19 AM
  3. Exactly 207 non US Citizens found on Floridas voting rolls
    By bonncaruso in forum Current Events
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 13th September 2012, 06:56 PM
  4. The Race for the Senate
    By ksu_aviator in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 7th October 2010, 06:13 AM
  5. Florida senate race
    By Pragmatist in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 1st May 2010, 04:16 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed