Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 112
Thanks Tree127Thanks

Thread: Will Trump "Sacrifice Crimea to Make a Deal"?

  1. #1
    The Un-Holy One The Man's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    38,560
    Thanks
    23545

    From
    Toronto

    Will Trump "Sacrifice Crimea to Make a Deal"?

    President Donald Trump did not rule out Crimea as Russian when asked during a press conference at the NATO summit in Brussels. He is due to meet Russia’s President Vladimi Putin in Helsinki on Monday.

    Trump blamed his predecessor, Barack Obama, for allowing Russia’s illegal annexation of Crimea, a region of Ukraine, “on his watch.”

    The president also said Russia had built infrastructure connecting itself to Crimea, as well as a new naval base nearby.

    “What will happen with Crimea from this point on? That I can’t tell you. But I’m not happy with the situation," Trump told reporters, skirting an opportunity to reiterate the long-standing American policy of not recognizing Crimea's annexation by Russia.

    The U.S. imposed sanctions on Russia over its invasion of Ukraine and annexation of Crimea in 2014. Those sanctions remain in place and have been renewed by the Trump administration. It is also supporting the Ukrainian military in defending the rest of its territory from pro-Russian separatists still fighting in the country’s east.

    "NATO is firm in our support for Ukraine’s sovereignty and territorial integrity," Jens Stoltenberg, NATO general secretary, said during a news conference with Ukraine's President Petro Poroshenko. "And we strongly condemn Russia’s illegal annexation of Crimea."

    Ukraine's president held a private meeting with Trump at the NATO summit. "I am completely satisfied with this conversation,” Poroshenko said at a press conference after the meeting.

    On the issue of Crimea, Poroshenko referred to a statement by NATO at the close of the summit. "It is clearly written. This is a statement approved by all members at the highest level, including with the participation of President Trump. The Crimean status is absolutely clearly emphasized, non-recognition of the illegal annexation of Crimea," he said.

    In Trump's press conference, he referred to Putin as a “competitor” and said he is “not my enemy.”

    The U.S. president wants better relations between the West and Russia. He also said he is keen to make some sort of deal with Putin, though he gave no details on what such an agreement could consist of, other than to say the ideal would be the removal of nuclear weapons from the world and no more wars.

    "I remain nervous about how Mr. Trump will handle Crimea on Monday," Steven Pifer a nonresident senior fellow in the Center on the United States and Europe at the Brookings Institution, a think tank, told Newsweek.

    "While virtually all U.S. officials reiterate that the United States does not recognize Russia's illegal annexation of Crimea, Mr. Trump says 'we're going to have to see' and 'I'm not happy with the situation.' Why is he leaving ambiguity? And he has been soft on the Crimea question for several years.

    "Mr. Putin would like nothing more than to secure U.S. acceptance that Crimea is Russian and may try to entice Mr. Trump into agreeing to that—and it's not clear that he understands the negative implications for European security and American credibility of agreeing."

    Dr. Charles Kupchan, a senior fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations think tank, told Newsweek that despite Trump's comments at the NATO summit, he thinks a change of U.S. policy on Crimea "is not in the cards."

    "To recognize Crimea as Russian territory would be to accept and legitimate Russia's forcible land-grab and illegal annexation of Crimea—a step too far even for Trump," Kupchan said.

    "I expect the conversation to focus more on eastern Ukraine, where some kind of deal on a peacekeeping force, regional autonomy and the withdrawal of Russian forces, and the potential reduction of sanctions is more plausible."

    Back in May, the State Department condemnded one of the bridges Trump referred to in his NATO press conference.

    "The United States condemns Russia’s construction and partial opening of the Kerch Strait Bridge between Russia and occupied Crimea, which was done without the permission of the government of Ukraine," Heather Nauert, spokesperson for the State Department, said in a statement at the time.

    "Crimea is part of Ukraine. Russia’s construction of the bridge serves as a reminder of Russia’s ongoing willingness to flout international law."
    Trump-Putin Summit: Will President Sacrifice Crimea to Make a Deal?

    Previously:
    Trump "open" to recognizing Crimea
    Crimea "an interesting question", Trump

    Honestly, simply accepting reality as it is, which is that Crimea is indeed a part of Russian Federation, at this point, wouldn't be much of a "sacrifice" for Trump and the US (for Ukraine, that's another story lol).

    The US wouldn't lose anything from it, economically, politically, whatever. It would change nothing on the ground, since Russia already controls and runs the place

    But, yeah, Putin doesn't typically see any sort of concession as a friendly gesture, but as a weakness, and a sign that he can push further... That's why it's a bad idea.

  2. #2
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    27,532
    Thanks
    6987

    From
    midwest
    What else can happen with Crimea?

    It is now Russia.

    It's not going back to Ukraine.

    Recognizing that fact, or not, won't change reality.
    Thanks from The Man and Crusher

  3. #3
    The Un-Holy One The Man's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    38,560
    Thanks
    23545

    From
    Toronto
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller47 View Post
    What else can happen with Crimea?

    It is now Russia.

    It's not going back to Ukraine.

    Recognizing that fact, or not, won't change reality.
    The Serbs will eventually have to get over Kosovo, and the Ukrainians - Crimea. It is what it is.

    I still believe Donbass may be reintegrated back into Ukraine at some point. It will be very difficult, and it will likely indeed take deployment of armed UN Peacekeepers there, to guarantee the safety of the civilians there, once their separatist forces finally agree to disarm (IF that actually happens, mind you). It will, additionally, take agreement between Russia and Ukraine on the format of the UN mission (the Russians want the Peacekeepers only along the contact line between the separatist territories and Kiev-controlled areas; while Ukraine wants them on the Russian border too, to prevent them sending any more arms and such to the seps).

    But, still, all of that can be worked out, somehow.

    Crimea, on the other hand, that's final, that's done, they ain't going back.

  4. #4
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    38,904
    Thanks
    37100

    From
    United States
    Trump just wants to show up and then tell his minions that he "won".

    Really... That's all he has to do to please them.

  5. #5
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    27,532
    Thanks
    6987

    From
    midwest
    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    The Serbs will eventually have to get over Kosovo, and the Ukrainians - Crimea. It is what it is.

    I still believe Donbass may be reintegrated back into Ukraine at some point. It will be very difficult, and it will likely indeed take deployment of armed UN Peacekeepers there, to guarantee the safety of the civilians there, once their separatist forces finally agree to disarm (IF that actually happens, mind you). It will, additionally, take agreement between Russia and Ukraine on the format of the UN mission (the Russians want the Peacekeepers only along the contact line between the separatist territories and Kiev-controlled areas; while Ukraine wants them on the Russian border too, to prevent them sending any more arms and such to the seps).

    But, still, all of that can be worked out, somehow.

    Crimea, on the other hand, that's final, that's done, they ain't going back.
    They can still discuss the rest of Ukraine, and who gets what, and why, but the Crimean peninsula seems like a done deal.

    What is left to discuss about Crimea at this point?

  6. #6
    Under Protest excalibur's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    11,527
    Thanks
    3643

    From
    The Milky Way
    When was Crimea ever ours, which is how the OP makes it sound. Silly stuff, but leftists are free to volunteer themselves and their children to go fight for Crimea.

  7. #7
    The Un-Holy One The Man's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    38,560
    Thanks
    23545

    From
    Toronto
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller47 View Post
    They can still discuss the rest of Ukraine, and who gets what, and why, but the Crimean peninsula seems like a done deal.

    What is left to discuss about Crimea at this point?
    I don't know. But, that and also Syria are the two things the media seem most worried about, regarding this upcoming summit of theirs

    Quote Originally Posted by excalibur View Post
    When was Crimea ever ours, which is how the OP makes it sound. Silly stuff, but leftists are free to volunteer themselves and their children to go fight for Crimea.
    No, I specifically said

    Honestly, simply accepting reality as it is, which is that Crimea is indeed a part of Russian Federation, at this point, wouldn't be much of a "sacrifice" for Trump and the US (for Ukraine, that's another story lol).

    The US wouldn't lose anything from it, economically, politically, whatever. It would change nothing on the ground, since Russia already controls and runs the place
    If you can't read properly, that's your issue, my friend, not mine.
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey, EnigmaO01 and Blues63

  8. #8
    The Un-Holy One The Man's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    38,560
    Thanks
    23545

    From
    Toronto
    BTW, speaking of Crimea, they just today opened their first ever charging station for electric cars, in Sevastopol

    Progress is everywhere, it seems lol
    Thanks from Tedminator

  9. #9
    Veteran Member Dr.Knuckles's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    100,505
    Thanks
    8350

    From
    Vancouver
    I’ve read that article too to bottom. I never saw any mention of a “deal”.
    Thanks from The Man

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,258
    Thanks
    8254

    From
    In my mind
    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    Trump-Putin Summit: Will President Sacrifice Crimea to Make a Deal?

    Previously:
    Trump "open" to recognizing Crimea
    Crimea "an interesting question", Trump

    Honestly, simply accepting reality as it is, which is that Crimea is indeed a part of Russian Federation, at this point, wouldn't be much of a "sacrifice" for Trump and the US (for Ukraine, that's another story lol).

    The US wouldn't lose anything from it, economically, politically, whatever. It would change nothing on the ground, since Russia already controls and runs the place

    But, yeah, Putin doesn't typically see any sort of concession as a friendly gesture, but as a weakness, and a sign that he can push further... That's why it's a bad idea.
    I think he will most certainly offer his backside for the buggering regarding Crimea, and not get any sort of "deal" out of it.

    No matter what happens, I am certain he will claim some sort of victory where nothing exists.
    Thanks from NightSwimmer, The Man and OldGaffer

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 15th July 2018, 06:36 AM
  2. Trump "open" to recognizing Crimea
    By The Man in forum Current Events
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 29th June 2018, 06:30 PM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12th April 2017, 06:27 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 13th July 2016, 09:57 AM
  5. Crimea is "Europe's problem", says Trump
    By The Man in forum Current Events
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 31st July 2015, 09:28 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed