Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 119
Thanks Tree56Thanks

Thread: The Risk Of Tipping Into A 'Hothouse Earth' State Is Rising

  1. #61
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    28,327
    Thanks
    4894

    From
    North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    Yes, I actually learned that deserts might be able to absorb some amount of CO2 in the future, and that IS useful knowledge. But you will go away from this thread still thinking that there is NOTHING the human race can do to affect the Earth's climate, and so will remain in your deliberately chosen state of deep ignorance.....even though you've been given a link that would enable you to overcome it, IMMEDIATELY.

    That's ASTONISHING, Jeremy!!

    Benjamin Franklin: "Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn."
    YOu're the one in a chosen state of deep ignorance or whatever - because my point wasn't that we can't affect the earth's climate... my point was we are not going to stop global warming from happening. And we aren't.

  2. #62
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    36,346
    Thanks
    32017

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Yes, that was actually what was being said - that the deserts were contributing to global warming. That's what prompted my comment.
    What was being said was that converting forests to desert would CERTAINLY contribute to global warming-----a statement that is absolutely TRUE. NO ONE was saying that deserts were emitting tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, which is what you just FALSELY claimed here.
    Thanks from BitterPill

  3. #63
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    36,346
    Thanks
    32017

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    YOu're the one in a chosen state of deep ignorance or whatever - because my point wasn't that we can't affect the earth's climate... my point was we are not going to stop global warming from happening. And we aren't.
    It certainly WAS your point, Jeremy. In post #29, you wrote the following:

    Jeremy: The earth is going to get warmer whether we like it or not. That's the bottom line here. The earth warmed and cooled long before mankind was on this planet and will likely continue to do so long after we are gone. It was always amazingly arrogant of us to assume we could control the climate anyway. Some things are simply out of our control - and the earth's climate is one of those things.

    It seems that NOW you are trying to change your position. That is actually wise of you, because your original position was flatly stupid, as I pointed out.

  4. #64
    Anarquistador StanStill's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    10,853
    Thanks
    11495

    From
    Work
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    You're the one playing dumb actually - because the whole point was that deserts were bad for global warming when in fact they actually aren't.
    Well then you failed to make your point. Simply showing that deserts have some capacity to absorb CO2 doesn't make them "good" for global warming.
    Thanks from BigLeRoy

  5. #65
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    28,327
    Thanks
    4894

    From
    North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by StanStill View Post
    Well then you failed to make your point. Simply showing that deserts have some capacity to absorb CO2 doesn't make them "good" for global warming.
    Considering they are a major carbon dioxide sink and help keep carbon dioxide out of our atmosphere I don't really know how you can conclude anything else.

    Maybe this just another example of you "playing dumb" I suppose....

  6. #66
    Veteran Member Puzzling Evidence's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    22,586
    Thanks
    9993

    From
    In before the DERP!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoaTlOver View Post
    I own a very fast convertible and a pool out in the middle of the SoCal dessert...I think that I will be ok.
    Thanks from StanStill and BigLeRoy

  7. #67
    Veteran Member Puzzling Evidence's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    22,586
    Thanks
    9993

    From
    In before the DERP!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    YOu're the one in a chosen state of deep ignorance or whatever - because my point wasn't that we can't affect the earth's climate... my point was we are not going to stop global warming from happening. And we aren't.
    Yes, you sure could. It's so easy to do, in fact, that you could make it too cold.
    Thanks from BigLeRoy

  8. #68
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    36,346
    Thanks
    32017

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzling Evidence View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNU6uWzLvRk

  9. #69
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    36,346
    Thanks
    32017

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzling Evidence View Post
    Yes, you sure could. It's so easy to do, in fact, that you could make it too cold.
    A good, old-fashioned thermonuclear holocaust would do exactly that. I tried to point that out to Jeremy, but he wasn't interested.

  10. #70
    Veteran Member Puzzling Evidence's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    22,586
    Thanks
    9993

    From
    In before the DERP!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    No it is the mark of Leroy actually, because you certainly prefer to remain ignorant. But at least I got to teach you something and you now know deserts actually absorb carbon dioxide. So it wasn't a total waste of my time...
    I'm not sure if i'm following you here; deserts are better at absorbing CO2 than trees are at converting CO2 into H2O?
    Thanks from BitterPill

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The state where pay is rising the fastest
    By bajisima in forum Economics
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 31st March 2018, 12:35 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12th March 2017, 07:30 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 24th December 2015, 05:23 PM
  4. Koios' Tipping State Report
    By Koios in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 29th October 2012, 01:36 PM
  5. State budgets risk US recovery
    By JayGatz in forum Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 6th August 2010, 09:06 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed