Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 134
Thanks Tree52Thanks

Thread: NYC just voted to cap Uber and Lyft

  1. #31
    Senior Member NeoVsMatrix's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    8,790
    Thanks
    7852

    From
    NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    Whut is the TLC?

    A state could pass a law that no licensed driver can carry passengers for pay without a commercial driver's license, and that would survive constitutional challenge, I think. But a city, by ordinance?

    Not in my view. But it's definitely a hot potato issue around the country.

    http://https://www.politico.com/stat...ew-york-106647
    TLC = Taxi and Limousine commission


    NYC Taxi & Limousine Commission

    (just look at the URL for their landing page.. and you know what morons are running that show )
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey and Madeline

  2. #32
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    15,454
    Thanks
    4150

    From
    Boise, ID
    I feel fairly mixed about this issue and do not know enough about transportation in NYC to have made up my mind. But my tendency is to be leery of laws that restrict new ideas and businesses that seem to be succeeding on their own and seem to have a lot of support from both the drivers and the passengers. I tend not to agree with attempts to restrict businesses that are succeeding in order to protect businesses that are failing.

    I don't think it's just about congestion control either, because congestion can eventually undermine Uber and Lyft. If driving doesn't get people there faster than an alternative, they're going to look to alternatives.

    If it's purely about congestion reduction, why not start mandating a reduction in taxi fleets? Look at the writing on the wall and order the companies to reduce their fleet presence in the city to make way for the proliferation of ride-sharing. Only being half-serious, but honestly, if politicians and the establishment big businesses providing for transportation in the city were doing their jobs, Uber and Lyft wouldn't be able to succeed there. If they are able to succeed, they're meeting a need that the current leadership and businesses have failed to meet. Why should the city council be picking winners and losers and working against the concepts that are succeeding?
    Last edited by Neomalthusian; 9th August 2018 at 07:08 AM.
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey and Madeline

  3. #33
    Senior Member NeoVsMatrix's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    8,790
    Thanks
    7852

    From
    NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    I feel fairly mixed about this issue and do not know enough about transportation in NYC to have made up my mind. But my tendency is to be leery of laws that restrict new ideas and businesses that seem to be succeeding on their own and seem to have a lot of support from both the drivers and the passengers. I tend not to agree with attempts to restrict businesses that are succeeding in order to protect businesses that are failing.

    I don't think it's just about congestion control either, because congestion can eventually undermine Uber and Lyft. If driving doesn't get people there faster than an alternative, they're going to look to alternatives.

    If it's purely about congestion reduction, why not start mandating a reduction in taxi fleets? Look at the writing on the wall and order the companies to reduce their fleet presence in the city to make way for the proliferation of ride-sharing. Only being half-serious, but honestly, if politicians and the establishment big businesses providing for transportation in the city were doing their jobs, Uber and Lyft wouldn't be able to succeed there. If they are able to succeed, they're meeting a need that the current leadership and businesses have failed to meet. Why should the city council be picking winners and losers and working against the concepts that are succeeding?
    NYC provides less than 14 k licensed yellow cabs. the amount of uber / lyft and other hail-ride cars in NYC amounts by now to around 100k.
    There were never enough cabs in NYC to fulfill the passenger's needs.. and a medallion to be allowed to operate a cab costed as much as 1.3 mio$.. for ONE cab.

    With hail ride companies added to the mix, the price for a medallion in the past few years dropped to as low as 160,000 USD. Which is GREAT for people who want to start their own business with some money in the bank.. while at a mio$ previously, only large companies and conglomerates were able to buy those medallion, running huge fleets of cabs, where the drivers got the short end of the stick at all times.

    Agreed, the market dictated that Uber & Co are a valid and well accepted alternative to classic taxis.. to punish such Entrepreneurs, and to artificially kill / reduce their business, is again anything but an example for the "free America".

    It's protectionism by some powerful, for some powerful, punishing those who are trying to make a living in the new world, based on opportunities provided by the market.
    Thanks from Madeline

  4. #34
    Senior Member Sparta's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    21,611
    Thanks
    8769

    From
    Connecticut
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    Can they do that? These are licensed drivers in properly insured vehicles. Where does NYC get off telling them they cannot be on the road?

    How in the hell would they have the power to force Uber and Lyft to drastically change their business model, from sharing revenue with independent contractors to paid hourly employees?

    And how would NYC cops ever enforce such a cap? Uber and Lyft drivers have no NYC taxi medallions.

    This is fucking stupid. If NYC wants to reduce traffic on its roads, which is a fabulous goal, they should look to Europe.

    Paris, e.g., bans ALL vehicle traffic a few days a week. Amsterdam makes bicycles the kings of the road. London has a gorgeous, safe subway system.
    You're confused about the government's authority to regulate business?

  5. #35
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    57,879
    Thanks
    33473

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparta View Post
    You're confused about the government's authority to regulate business?
    Always! And NYC has layers of complexity found almost nowhere else in the country.

  6. #36
    Anarquistador StanStill's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    10,853
    Thanks
    11495

    From
    Work
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Hellh0und View Post
    :lol: $40 bucks is a bargain. Good luck with that,.
    I don't need luck. I do it once a month.

  7. #37
    Senior Member Sparta's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    21,611
    Thanks
    8769

    From
    Connecticut
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoVsMatrix View Post
    NYC provides less than 14 k licensed yellow cabs. the amount of uber / lyft and other hail-ride cars in NYC amounts by now to around 100k.
    There were never enough cabs in NYC to fulfill the passenger's needs.. and a medallion to be allowed to operate a cab costed as much as 1.3 mio$.. for ONE cab.

    With hail ride companies added to the mix, the price for a medallion in the past few years dropped to as low as 160,000 USD. Which is GREAT for people who want to start their own business with some money in the bank.. while at a mio$ previously, only large companies and conglomerates were able to buy those medallion, running huge fleets of cabs, where the drivers got the short end of the stick at all times.

    Agreed, the market dictated that Uber & Co are a valid and well accepted alternative to classic taxis.. to punish such Entrepreneurs, and to artificially kill / reduce their business, is again anything but an example for the "free America".

    It's protectionism by some powerful, for some powerful, punishing those who are trying to make a living in the new world, based on opportunities provided by the market.
    This is off the mark.

    1st off medallions commanded that price based on earning potential. Medallions were controlled in # to keep them valuable so they don't become so degraded nobody would want one. And it made perfect sense that they ended up in the hands of capable business people, that's a naturally occuring phenomenon. Now you're talking about a situation where a NYC business only costs 160k? That's grody.

    When you employ part-timers (as opposed to professional drivers) you get gaps in service; drivers who don't want to pick up drunk people, pick up in certain parts of town, work certain hours, follow ADA guidelines, ect.

    There is also the question of sustainability, it's a well worn secret that uber drivers don't make much money, which makes sense because what we have is a billion dollar corporation taking profits while leaving drivers to foot the bill for insurance and maintenance, eat law-suits and face insurance drops from personal policies. Any time you see a "rideshare" driver who tells you he/she makes some $ what you have is a person who lacks business sense who doesn't understand what their actual profit margine is; they haven't paid the bills long enough. What happens when you have an ever revolving fleet of drivers who've degraded the professional system to the point where there is not longer an infastructure of compliance or available professional drivers? Particularly when we count of professional drivers to service medicade recipients and people who receive VA benefits?

    Personally I don't think Uber should exist, it's a scam which preys on poor people. The only people benefiting from Uber are wealthy people tied up in it while it's ruining and entire industry. NYC is beginging to figure that out, which is why it's intent is to commision a study to figure a way out of this mess.
    Last edited by Sparta; 9th August 2018 at 10:55 AM.
    Thanks from boontito

  8. #38
    your better Rev. Hellh0und's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    40,329
    Thanks
    4449

    From
    NYC
    Quote Originally Posted by StanStill View Post
    I don't need luck. I do it once a month.


    Maybe an early bird special or some outer borough.

  9. #39
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    47,146
    Thanks
    29145

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoVsMatrix View Post
    How does an uber has ANYTHING to do with the subway system ? When was the subway suffering from taxis, before uber came along ?
    This is such a weird connection being made, that doesn't make ANY sense, at all.

    And trust me, 4 out of 7 days in NYC, you DO feel as if the subway is already shut down for good.
    I used to live in NYC in the 80s and the subway system was decent. I went back about 3 years ago and it was a horror show. Trains never come or they were super late. The one we waited for on the last day was an hour late and then they announced it wasnt coming for some reason. Tons of people flooding up on the street to find taxis. It was awful. Boston's are a bit better but several of the lines run above ground and in winter they are always shutting them down. During "snowpocalypse" a few years ago, they shut the subway down for 6 days straight.

  10. #40
    Senior Member Sparta's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    21,611
    Thanks
    8769

    From
    Connecticut
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    I used to live in NYC in the 80s and the subway system was decent. I went back about 3 years ago and it was a horror show. Trains never come or they were super late. The one we waited for on the last day was an hour late and then they announced it wasnt coming for some reason. Tons of people flooding up on the street to find taxis. It was awful. Boston's are a bit better but several of the lines run above ground and in winter they are always shutting them down. During "snowpocalypse" a few years ago, they shut the subway down for 6 days straight.
    Everything was shut down during snowpocalypse, those piles literally did not melt until summer

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Gay Couple Trigger Lyft Driver. PDA causes melt-down.
    By DebateDrone in forum Current Events
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 21st May 2018, 03:11 AM
  2. Uber & Lyft drivers getting Unionized in Seattle
    By thrilling in forum Current Events
    Replies: 110
    Last Post: 10th April 2017, 01:50 PM
  3. Replies: 38
    Last Post: 2nd November 2016, 06:07 PM
  4. Austin runs Uber and Lyft out of town
    By meridian5455 in forum Current Events
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10th May 2016, 12:29 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed