Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 57
Thanks Tree26Thanks

Thread: Rep. Ellison: 'We Demand' Obama Raise Minimum Wage by Executive Order

  1. #1
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    60,664
    Thanks
    11091

    From
    By the wall

    Rep. Ellison: 'We Demand' Obama Raise Minimum Wage by Executive Order

    More democrats pushing for Obama to be King again.

    This is really just getting ridiculous now. Why doesn't the left just admit that they hate the Constitution and no longer find it valid towards running the nation?

    At the "Fast Food Forward" protest on Thursday, Rep. Keith Ellison (D-Minn.) demanded that Pres. Obama sign an executive order bypassing Congress and unilaterally raising the federal minimum wage. Rep. Ellison told the crowd that they should join him in demanding that Pres. Obama skip seeking Congressional approval and raise the minimum wage on his own - and that he sent the president a letter on Wednesday presenting his demand:
    http://cnsnews.com/mrctv-blog/craig-....xthWIgHj.dpuf

    Last edited by Spookycolt; 7th December 2013 at 12:38 PM.

  2. #2
    Banned Camp Blackjack Fever Champion, Brain Bones Champion
    Joined
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    40,024
    Thanks
    5426

    From
    happyfunville
    Libtards: still believing tantrums trump legislation.

  3. #3
    Senior Member beatleboy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    11,892
    Thanks
    3772

    From
    east coast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordent View Post
    Libtards: still believing tantrums trump legislation.
    Tantrums and legislation?, might want to look to the right side of the aisle on that subject.
    Thanks from Devil505 and 1069

  4. #4
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    30,334
    Thanks
    11019

    From
    on the river
    Man, I wish Dear Leader would take his advice.

    except.... Biden....oh, dear....then Biden would be king.

    Assassination insurance AND impeachment insurance. That Obama's a crafty mofo, I'll give him that

  5. #5
    Banned Camp Blackjack Fever Champion, Brain Bones Champion
    Joined
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    40,024
    Thanks
    5426

    From
    happyfunville
    Quote Originally Posted by beatleboy View Post
    Tantrums and legislation?, might want to look to the right side of the aisle on that subject.
    Not really. The repubs are trying to legislate away a hugely unpopular law (19 points upside down, currently). They're not demanding an illegal executive order to get it done.

  6. #6
    Veteran Member Devil505's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    60,782
    Thanks
    18448

    From
    Mass and Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordent View Post
    Not really. The repubs are trying to legislate away a hugely unpopular law (19 points upside down, currently). They're not demanding an illegal executive order to get it done.
    The Repubs are crying because they struck out & won't leave the batter's box ..yelling "My daddy makes more money than yours!!"
    Thanks from labrea

  7. #7
    Banned Camp Blackjack Fever Champion, Brain Bones Champion
    Joined
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    40,024
    Thanks
    5426

    From
    happyfunville
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    The Repubs are crying because they struck out & won't leave the batter's box ..yelling "My daddy makes more money than yours!!"
    Nope. The repubs were elected by the people to control the spending in the HOR. Don't like it? Win some elections and take the House back.

  8. #8
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    30,334
    Thanks
    11019

    From
    on the river
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordent View Post
    Nope. The repubs were elected by the people to control the spending in the HOR. Don't like it? Win some elections and take the House back.
    OMG gerrymandering OMG
    Thanks from Mordent

  9. #9
    "Mr. Original". the watchman's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    76,919
    Thanks
    39935

    From
    becoming more and more
    Over at the Roosevelt Institute, Senior Fellow Richard Kirsch agrees, pointing out that “In the 1930s, and again in the 1960s, the federal government helped raise wages for workers. Congress passed laws and presidents issued executive orders that required businesses with federal contracts to pay their workers their industry’s prevailing wage. That meant better pay.”
    Yes, He Can: Momentum Grows for an Executive Order to Raise Wages of Low-Paid Contract Workers | Demos

    ..this is well within the President's authority and always has been. Please explain why it would suddenly be unconstitutional for Obama to exercise this option, when it never has been considered unconstitutional before?
    Thanks from labrea and 1069

  10. #10
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    60,664
    Thanks
    11091

    From
    By the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by the watchman View Post
    Yes, He Can: Momentum Grows for an Executive Order to Raise Wages of Low-Paid Contract Workers | Demos

    ..this is well within the President's authority and always has been. Please explain why it would suddenly be unconstitutional for Obama to exercise this option, when it never has been considered unconstitutional before?
    Because Congress did not pass a law raising the minimum wage for Obama to enforce.

    He is not authorized to write new law. Article II, Section II states that "he shall take care that the laws be faithfully executed", not that he make them. Raising the minimum wage is a change in the current law and he needs Congress to do that.
    Thanks from Mordent and nonsqtr

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed