Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 50
Thanks Tree48Thanks

Thread: Workers attack managers over proposed layoffs

  1. #1
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    44,686
    Thanks
    26894

    From
    New Hampshire

    Workers attack managers over proposed layoffs

    No, not in the US, that would never happen here!

    "Union activists protesting nearly 3,000 proposed layoffs at Air France stormed the headquarters during a meeting Monday, zeroing in on two managers who had their shirts torn from their bodies, scaled a fence and fled under police protection. An Associated Press photographer saw about a hundred activists rush the building after breaking through a gate. Shortly afterward two high-level managers fled, one bare-chested and the other with his shirt and suit jacket shredded."

    "Road access to Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris was briefly disrupted, and some flights suffered delays. Although Monday's scuffle was unusually violent, labor relations in France are commonly testy, with unions sometimes even resorting to holding managers hostage — or "boss-napping" — to make a point."

    Workers tear shirts off Air France managers in jobs protest
    Thanks from The Man and Jacquelope

  2. #2
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    33,739
    Thanks
    26571

    From
    On a hill
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    No, not in the US, that would never happen here!

    "Union activists protesting nearly 3,000 proposed layoffs at Air France stormed the headquarters during a meeting Monday, zeroing in on two managers who had their shirts torn from their bodies, scaled a fence and fled under police protection. An Associated Press photographer saw about a hundred activists rush the building after breaking through a gate. Shortly afterward two high-level managers fled, one bare-chested and the other with his shirt and suit jacket shredded."

    "Road access to Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris was briefly disrupted, and some flights suffered delays. Although Monday's scuffle was unusually violent, labor relations in France are commonly testy, with unions sometimes even resorting to holding managers hostage — or "boss-napping" — to make a point."

    Workers tear shirts off Air France managers in jobs protest
    Kind of makes the American worker look docile.

  3. #3
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    12,503
    Thanks
    3062

    From
    California
    Quote Originally Posted by labrea View Post
    Kind of makes the American worker look docile.
    Ms. Labrea,

    I think the word you were looking for is "sane," as in "kind of makes the American worker look "sane"."

  4. #4
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    33,739
    Thanks
    26571

    From
    On a hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallie Knoetze View Post
    Ms. Labrea,

    I think the word you were looking for is "sane," as in "kind of makes the American worker look "sane"."
    No, Im quite sure I meant docile.

    Lay off American workers and they quietly just go away. Lower the wages of American workers, and they say, well at least I have a job, praise be to the gods of the free market.

  5. #5
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    12,503
    Thanks
    3062

    From
    California
    Quote Originally Posted by labrea View Post
    No, Im quite sure I meant docile.

    Lay off American workers and they quietly just go away. Lower the wages of American workers, and they say, well at least I have a job, praise be to the gods of the free market.
    Ms. Labrea,

    So you considered rioting, and violent assualts to be rational acts?

  6. #6
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    33,739
    Thanks
    26571

    From
    On a hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallie Knoetze View Post
    Ms. Labrea,

    So you considered rioting, and violent assualts to be rational acts?
    It is a human act, and response to being pushed around. At least the French seem to be rational enough to take out their anger on the appropriate group.

  7. #7
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    12,503
    Thanks
    3062

    From
    California
    Quote Originally Posted by labrea View Post
    It is a human act, and response to being pushed around. At least the French seem to be rational enough to take out their anger on the appropriate group.
    Ms. Labrea,

    The appropriate group is the executives who are trying to keep the company afloat? Shouldn't they be attacking the consumers who refuse to fly Air France because its prices are too expensive?

  8. #8
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    33,739
    Thanks
    26571

    From
    On a hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallie Knoetze View Post
    Ms. Labrea,

    The appropriate group is the executives who are trying to keep the company afloat? Shouldn't they be attacking the consumers who refuse to fly Air France because its prices are too expensive?
    Yep, its the race to the bottom.

    Cant imagine why pilots would object to working longer hours for less pay.

  9. #9
    Nuisance Factor Yeti 8 Jungle Swing Champion, YetiSports 4 - Albatross Overload Champion, YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion boontito's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    93,805
    Thanks
    71037

    From
    <-- "Meme Boy"
    This was France, right? Are we sure this wasn't just performance art?

  10. #10
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    12,503
    Thanks
    3062

    From
    California
    Quote Originally Posted by labrea View Post
    Yep, its the race to the bottom.

    Cant imagine why pilots would object to working longer hours for less pay.
    Ms. Labrea,

    Yes, damn them. They'll run that company into the ground if it's the last thing they do. No job is better than a job that doesn't pay what they think they should be paid, wot?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 108
    Last Post: 3rd February 2015, 04:20 AM
  2. Budget deal intensifies attack on US workers
    By michaelr in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16th December 2013, 06:22 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 19th November 2011, 08:15 AM
  4. South Afrikan news: Municipal managers held hostage.
    By katiegrrl0 in forum World Politics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 15th March 2010, 12:07 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed