Members banned from this thread: splansing


Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 106
Thanks Tree79Thanks

Thread: Too Much Regulation

  1. #61
    Chubby Member
    Joined
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,354
    Thanks
    585

    Quote Originally Posted by Kontrary View Post
    The reason hair dressers need a license is because they deal with some hygiene issues as well as with chemicals that they are applying to a person, things that could cause harm if the person doesnt have proper education and training. The license doesnt mean they can give a good hair cut, it means they have completed the accredited program and are educated on those basics.
    I still find myself wondering if it really makes sense that it requires more hours to work in a salon than it does to become a cop, where you will handle, you know....firearms, tasers, pepper spray, and be called upon to meet and manage pretty much the most stressful, soul-impacting situations you can find in this country.

    That can't be true.
    Thanks from BigLeRoy

  2. #62
    Veteran Member carpe diem's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    25,573
    Thanks
    2217

    From
    San Diego, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    No, it is not. How much regulation is "too much"? How do you determine that? What you are really saying is that it feels like "too much." Otherwise, there would be an articulable method by which to determine how much regulation is "just right."


    That is a specific policy argument, not an articulation of how much regulation is "too much."
    Too much...well, redundant and ridiculous comes to mind...

    Here's some examples ;

    required continous operating exhaust fans in remodels and new construction - homeowners have no say.

    Required temp limiting water faucets (water will not get warm enough, but gee...it's safer) - again the homeowners have no say

    Water restricting valves at faucets and spigots, again homeowners get no say

    These are just a few examples of ridiculous regs, well intended but not well thought out, we have gov intruding more and more into our lives and as a result we lose simple liberties...oh...like CHOICE.

    Anyone with a tad of common sense knows that these expenses are a complete waste, as people end up running faucets or spigots much longer because they stream is too weak, the toilet has to be flushed more than once, the bath is never hot enough, so you have to keep wasting water to keep it tepid...the fan gets replaced after inspector checks it off so you don't have to hear it all the time and stop concerning yourself because that is power being wasted.

    You asked "what is too much regulation" It's ALWAYS too much regulation when your choices are removed by the government.

    Regulations instituted through fear mongering over faux global warming is at the least foolish beyond any reason...and in my common sense mind, (without a doubt whatsoever)criminal in it's institution because of what it has done to contractors and consumers.
    Last edited by carpe diem; 4th January 2017 at 03:10 PM.

  3. #63
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    39,916
    Thanks
    18703

    From
    Depends on what year....
    Quote Originally Posted by carpe diem View Post
    Too much...well, redundant and ridiculous comes to mind...
    "Too much" means there is an articulable number of regulations. "Redundant and ridiculous" does not answer the question.

    Quote Originally Posted by carpe diem View Post
    You asked "what is too much regulation" It's ALWAYS too much regulation when your choices are removed by the government.
    So, what you are really saying is there should be no regulations and no laws. All regulation removes somebody's choice. Therefore, your position as stated makes no sense.
    Thanks from Hollywood

  4. #64
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    13,227
    Thanks
    3544

    From
    AK
    Quote Originally Posted by splansing View Post
    Government workers didn't BECOME more unionized than everyone else. They're just the only ones left.
    Untrue. Government unionism rose 10-fold in the 1960s and has not declined since. The municipal governmental sector was not always over 40% unionized the way it is today, and there's no valid reason it should be that unionized. There's no real reason it should be even 5% unionized.

    But then somebody tells them that there's a union over there where they still get "Cadillac" benefits...as if that is now some unheard of fucking luxury that nobody anywhere really deserves...
    It's a luxury no one else anywhere can even purchase for themselves if they wanted to. Public employees shouldn't get special benefits that are basically unavailable to everyone else in society. This is part of why Obamacare created the Cadillac Tax. It was to get state and local governments to abandon these grandfathered ultra-platinum health benefits that they make taxpayers pay for.

    And now you're pissed off at the few remaining people whose unions have somehow survived,
    No one's pissed at the people who happen to belong to unions. Often enough they are coerced into being in the union in the first place. The anger is at everyone who defends and attempts to rationalize the existence of unions at all.
    Last edited by Neomalthusian; 4th January 2017 at 05:59 PM.

  5. #65
    Veteran Member Moorhuhn Wanted Champion Hollywood's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    59,324
    Thanks
    26293

    From
    Memphis, Tn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Reasonably safe from exactly what, and who gets to decide what exactly constitutes "reasonably?"
    @TNVolunteer73

    Well? You have an answer or what?

  6. #66
    New Member
    Joined
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    392
    Thanks
    39

    Quote Originally Posted by splansing View Post
    You know what we have? Too much regulation in this country. It hurts businesses. That's bad, mkay.

    Google Dallas Pension. This is what happens over and over and over and over.... when you let sharks babysit your wealth, allow them to regulate themselves, vote yourselves into the palms of your economic betters.

    I'm so nauseated by the never-ending capacity of American idiots to vote against their own economic interests, I don't even have words anymore. HOW BAD DOES IT HAVE TO GET? Before people will wake up and realize they're literally giving away their freedom one dollar at a time? I really, really do not get it.
    Splansing, all existing or proposed government laws and regulations should be judged upon their own merits and considerations for the precedences they may set to consequentially affect our futures.

    When you broadly state that we have too much government regulation, are you generally opposed to government or are there specific kinds of government jurisdictions that you wish to eliminate?

    I suppose each one of us do not disapprove or are supportive of some government regulations and we’re opposed to some others. But it’s difficult to arrive at a consensus as to what we should retain or eliminate, or modify. If we choose to modify, can we agree upon those modifications?

    Among government jurisdictions are health, safety, civil law, criminal law, and many other laws and regulations that are referred to within the preamble of the United States’ constitution as “to promote the general welfare”.

    Your complaint of “Too much regulation” is meaningless until you specifically identify the specific classifications or individual regulations you wish to eliminate or modify or replace and explicitly describe your reasoning, including that of any changes you’re advocating.

    Respectfully, Supposn
    Last edited by Supposn; 5th January 2017 at 09:47 PM.
    Thanks from Isalexi

  7. #67
    Veteran Member TNVolunteer73's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    25,481
    Thanks
    6744

    From
    TN
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    @TNVolunteer73

    Well? You have an answer or what?
    Yes Reasonable regulation, Control pollution Forget the MMGW hoax

    do bother to read what people post or do you just chose a person to harass each day? @Hollywood

  8. #68
    Hi, I'm Puzzling Evidence Puzzling Evidence's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    11,974
    Thanks
    5320

    From
    half of the northwest quarter of said section twenty-one to the north line of said section twenty...
    Quote Originally Posted by carpe diem View Post
    Too much...well, redundant and ridiculous comes to mind...

    Here's some examples ;

    required continous operating exhaust fans in remodels and new construction - homeowners have no say.

    Required temp limiting water faucets (water will not get warm enough, but gee...it's safer) - again the homeowners have no say

    Water restricting valves at faucets and spigots, again homeowners get no say

    These are just a few examples of ridiculous regs, well intended but not well thought out, we have gov intruding more and more into our lives and as a result we lose simple liberties...oh...like CHOICE.

    Anyone with a tad of common sense knows that these expenses are a complete waste, as people end up running faucets or spigots much longer because they stream is too weak, the toilet has to be flushed more than once, the bath is never hot enough, so you have to keep wasting water to keep it tepid...the fan gets replaced after inspector checks it off so you don't have to hear it all the time and stop concerning yourself because that is power being wasted.

    You asked "what is too much regulation" It's ALWAYS too much regulation when your choices are removed by the government.

    Regulations instituted through fear mongering over faux global warming is at the least foolish beyond any reason...and in my common sense mind, (without a doubt whatsoever)criminal in it's institution because of what it has done to contractors and consumers.

    Well, this is what happens when you allow states to implement their own codes. None of these codes you have mentioned are federal, sounds like some liberal la la land like California.

  9. #69
    Hi, I'm Puzzling Evidence Puzzling Evidence's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    11,974
    Thanks
    5320

    From
    half of the northwest quarter of said section twenty-one to the north line of said section twenty...
    I will say that when I build something out in the middle of nowhere, nobody gives a shot.

    If its my house, I should be able to by-pass certain codes, in the interest of cost effectiveness. Its my place - I should be able to build what I want.

    On the otherhand, would you like to live next to some clown who built an exceedingly unsafe dwelling that might fall into your home?

  10. #70
    Hi, I'm Puzzling Evidence Puzzling Evidence's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    11,974
    Thanks
    5320

    From
    half of the northwest quarter of said section twenty-one to the north line of said section twenty...
    Quote Originally Posted by TNVolunteer73 View Post
    Yes Reasonable regulation, Control pollution Forget the MMGW hoax

    do bother to read what people post or do you just chose a person to harass each day? @Hollywood
    I disagree with efforts to deregulate pollution standards, we breath the same air -- you are not going to mess with my air, just because you think that the Constitution allows you to do WHATEVER you want.
    Thanks from Panzareta

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What advocates of regulation don't get...
    By Raoul_Duke in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 24th November 2013, 01:09 PM
  2. Name That Regulation!
    By arock0627 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 16th October 2013, 12:30 PM
  3. Why we need MORE regulation of the mortgage lenders, not less..
    By Cicero in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2nd September 2011, 12:44 AM
  4. Not all EU regulation is bad
    By caffeine in forum World Politics
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 22nd July 2010, 05:38 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed