Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26
Thanks Tree44Thanks

Thread: Do "nothing" to stop Trump

  1. #11
    olguy OlGuy's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,501
    Thanks
    285

    From
    california
    Quote Originally Posted by Isalexi View Post
    Reminds me of that disgusting expression about rape if you can't avoid it relax and enjoy
    Would "whether to suffer the slings and arrows or to take up arms against and sea of troubles" better describe the problems of fate for you? War is disgusting too.
    Last edited by OlGuy; 15th February 2017 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war

  2. #12
    Southern Strategy Liberal OldGaffer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    30,554
    Thanks
    32803

    From
    Nashville, TN
    Quote Originally Posted by HayJenn View Post
    Wrong...again..

    Private lenders made up the bulk of the home loans that went belly up due to no regulations on them

    Private sector loans, not Fannie or Freddie, triggered crisis | McClatchy DC

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/reale...=.dc9486b91c06
    He thinks if he keeps repeating that lie it will start to gain credibility...
    Thanks from Friday13, BigLeRoy and EnigmaO01

  3. #13
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    19,392
    Thanks
    17007

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Urbanek View Post
    Obama won in 2008, in large part, because the housing bubble burst and the economy collapsed under Bush. Some here predict that Trump’s rush to deregulate will create similar financial instability and another collapse they will result in the ousting of Republican politicians, maybe as early as 2018.

    But liberals, if they choose, can make this a sure thing by doing “nothing”: not buying new cars, not buying anything they don’t need, not being tourists, not eating out, not going to movies or concerts. In short, doing nothing would collapse our consumer-fixated economy and put capitalism in its final death throes. The Republicans and Trump would be hapless against this sabotage of “making American great again.” What would be their response? Laws requiring people to spend their money?

    Liberals could name their price to end the boycott: single-payer health care, the end of the Electoral College, a new government-operated bank that would be a true “bank of America,” low-cost federally-funded wireless access, etc.

    There are only three real levers of power: votes, money and guns. Votes are not working. You should try the second before the third becomes the option of choice.
    Shortly after 9/11, then Mayor of New York City Rudy Guiliani said this: "Americans have a patriotic duty to spend!"

    I call it Rudynomics. It's NUTS.

  4. #14
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    17,656
    Thanks
    3529

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Urbanek View Post
    Obama won in 2008, in large part, because the housing bubble burst and the economy collapsed under Bush. Some here predict that Trump’s rush to deregulate will create similar financial instability and another collapse they will result in the ousting of Republican politicians, maybe as early as 2018.

    But liberals, if they choose, can make this a sure thing by doing “nothing”: not buying new cars, not buying anything they don’t need, not being tourists, not eating out, not going to movies or concerts. In short, doing nothing would collapse our consumer-fixated economy and put capitalism in its final death throes. The Republicans and Trump would be hapless against this sabotage of “making American great again.” What would be their response? Laws requiring people to spend their money?

    Liberals could name their price to end the boycott: single-payer health care, the end of the Electoral College, a new government-operated bank that would be a true “bank of America,” low-cost federally-funded wireless access, etc.

    There are only three real levers of power: votes, money and guns. Votes are not working. You should try the second before the third becomes the option of choice.
    Slim chance people with money or credit won't spend money. We also should boycott all pro sports. The ones that like to force local governments to their will. People need basic living goods they sure don't need to watch over paid sports dudes throw a ball around. No one is going to shut off their smart phone. It's a more powerful addiction then cocaine.

  5. #15
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    17,656
    Thanks
    3529

    Quote Originally Posted by TNVolunteer73 View Post
    Actually Dodd Frank will do nothing to prevent the same type of collapse Dodd Frank did nothing to prevent what happened in 2008 where Franks' boyfriend at Fannie Mae help created bundled Mortgage Securities.
    Low lending standards to fuel the subprime market. Failing subprime was the the detonator for 2008. Wallstreet was the dynamite.

  6. #16
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    19,392
    Thanks
    17007

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by TNVolunteer73 View Post
    Actually Dodd Frank will do nothing to prevent the same type of collapse Dodd Frank did nothing to prevent what happened in 2008 where Franks' boyfriend at Fannie Mae help created bundled Mortgage Securities.
    The Dodd-Frank bill was passed into law on this date: July 21, 2010.

    Kindly explain HOW the Dodd-Frank regulations could have POSSIBLY prevented the 2008 meltdown.

    Are you in some kind of weird fucking TIME WARP, that you don't understand that the year 2008 came BEFORE the year 2010???????

  7. #17
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    19,392
    Thanks
    17007

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by THOR View Post
    Low lending standards to fuel the subprime market. Failing subprime was the the detonator for 2008. Wallstreet was the dynamite.
    Yeah, but I'd like to see TNVolunteer explain how Dodd-Frank could have POSSIBLY prevented the meltdown in 2008, considering that Dodd-Frank did not become law until July 21, 2010.........

    Do you share his problems in understanding basic chronology, and in realizing that 2008 came BEFORE 2010?
    Thanks from OldGaffer, EnigmaO01 and April15

  8. #18
    Veteran Member Dr Sampson Simpson's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    19,988
    Thanks
    10531

    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeRoy View Post
    The Dodd-Frank bill was passed into law on this date: July 21, 2010.

    Kindly explain HOW the Dodd-Frank regulations could have POSSIBLY prevented the 2008 meltdown.

    Are you in some kind of weird fucking TIME WARP, that you don't understand that the year 2008 came BEFORE the year 2010???????
    No, just a know nothing right winger that probably read or heard that somewhere on Fox news or some garbage blog so he parroted it. You think right wingers check to see if things are actually true?
    Thanks from EnigmaO01 and April15

  9. #19
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    19,392
    Thanks
    17007

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Sampson Simpson View Post
    No, just a know nothing right winger that probably read or heard that somewhere on Fox news or some garbage blog so he parroted it. You think right wingers check to see if things are actually true?
    Yeah, but this is a particularly HILARIOUS error, is it not? @TNVolunteer73 seems to think a law passed in 2010 somehow caused the economic and financial meltdown of 2008.

    I would just LOVE to see an explanation. In fact, I suspect I would CHERISH it.
    Thanks from EnigmaO01 and April15

  10. #20
    Keep it up, Donald Addiction Solitaire Champion, Double Deuce Champion, Queen Jewels Champion, Ray Ray Shuffle Champion, Twins Champion, Blow Up: Arcade Champion, Bunch - Time Trial Champion, Znax Champion, Zoo Keeper Champion, Sobics School Champion, Swap a Smiley Champion, Makos Champion, Dino Drop Champion, Flower Frenzy Champion, Some Puzzle Champion, Funny Bubbles Champion, CubeZ Champion, Dinky Smash Champion, Fun Fun Animals Champion, Fruit Fabriek Champion, Raft Wars Champion, Rainbow Monkey RunDown Champion, Raft Wars Champion, Crime Puzzle Champion Blueneck's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    43,814
    Thanks
    20021

    From
    Ohio
    Obama would have won anyway, I suspect. McCain's tendency to see the military as a tool to fix everything seemed myopic and the Republicans looked inept when the economy finally lurched all the way off it's bar stool and fell on it's face after having been over served for years. All they could think of to do was give it more booze.

    I'm afraid we're in for the same binge 'n barf scenario all over again with Trump. Fuck everything up then act surprised.
    Thanks from BigLeRoy and April15

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 91
    Last Post: 24th January 2017, 05:16 AM
  2. Replies: 281
    Last Post: 13th November 2016, 12:34 AM
  3. Police go from "stop and frisk" to "stop and spit?"
    By bajisima in forum Current Events
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 13th September 2016, 07:05 AM
  4. Replies: 54
    Last Post: 19th May 2016, 09:52 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed